Tiago Perretto
Brazil
Curitiba
Parana
flag msg tools
Thinking about my next move.
badge
So, if my only options are these, then I shall...
mbmbmbmbmb

Morels is a set collection game with some complications thrown in, like demanding pans to cook mushrooms, baskets to carry more things, additions to spice the food (butter and cider), decaying and night mushrooms. Yet, in its heart, is a standard set collection: managing the cards in order to obtain the maximum from them.

Thus, one takes mushrooms to form sets of at least 3 of the same kind in order to be able to cook them and, with this, earn points at the end of the game - the more mushrooms cooked, bigger the score. To cook is necessary pans - players start with one, but more are required, as each one can be used just one time. Then, to form bigger sets, one needs more room in the hand, which is what baskets do - they raise the hand limit by 2 cards. Is also possible to add butter (4+) or cider (5+) to big sets in order to make them worth more (3 and 5 additional points, respectively) - the problem is, of course, to be able to take and hold the high number of cards. Along side this, players try to grab the night mushrooms, which are worth for 2 of the normal types, but is possible to take cards with little use to yourself, that will do more harm than good, by clogging the hand of cards. Is also possible to sell 2 of the same kind of mushroom to gain sticks, which can be used to take cards further away. Finally, a player can take all the decaying cards (one, per turn, goes into decaying - up to 4 card be there). There is a good deal of options for the player.

On each round the player makes 1 action of 5 possible ones: taking one card, taking all the decaying cards (if she has room for all of them in her hand), puting down a pan, selling mushrooms for sticks, or cooking. Is mandatory to make an action if the person can make one, which means thay is possible to be obligated to sell mushrooms, wanting or not. And is likely to have to pass on a good card since the player is already at the limit in the hand, requiring the player to cook sooner than she would want, just to open some room for new cards.

Thus, Morels has a lot of planning, as players can see with 3 to 4 rounds in advance what cards will be available, hand management and search for the best opportunities. It works pretty well for 2, since the players have more control, allowing them to even manipulate the availability of cards, be to make sure that one will be up for them to grab, or to prevent the other from taking a particular one.

Though it is a 2 players game, Morels ins't truly agressive, as the hand limit hinders the chances of someone playing too mean, taking what the other wants, unless it also helps the person doing the blocking, otherwise the player will have her back on the wall quickly.

The flow of the play is lively, as turns go fast, since each player do just one action at a time, and a whole game will last around 20 minutes. There is some dose of luck in the game (basically in the night mushrooms), but good planning, decisions and timming will decide the winner.

Overall, Morels is a fine 2 players game, with an easy and relaxed gameplay, filled with a good amount of choices in a short playing time. Recommended.

Regards,

Image credit: bpovis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Carlos
Colombia
flag msg tools
Mushrooms and decay: Exciting, YES!

Thank you for your review. I really want to get this game, but I don't like that it is only for two players.

Is there a rule for three or more players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Thiess
United States
Suisun City
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luiscarlosqg wrote:
Mushrooms and decay: Exciting, YES!

Thank you for your review. I really want to get this game, but I don't like that it is only for two players.

Is there a rule for three or more players?

There's an expansion (Morels: Foray) that adds the ability to play with 3 and 4 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.