Hide
17 Posts

Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Minis worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris H
msg tools
I'm definitely backing the core game (and probably the expansion), but I'm on the fence on whether to throw in the minis or not. I enjoy minis a lot (especially vampire and werewolf and ghost minis), but I know they're not "required" and I've heard the first batch has some quality control issues. Do you think the QC issues will get ironed out for the second batch? Will the minis be available in retail if I decide to buy them in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark etwell
Canada
Aurora
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very good question..I'm interested in a few opinions as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally think the Minis are fine.... nice detail and will paint up nicely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than the vampire having two of the same hand, I didn't notice any problems with the minis. And hey, maybe vampires in this world have two of the same hands. You don't know!?!

Regardless, you only use minis about 1/2 of the game. So they are nice to have but the standees would work out just as well.

I'm glad I got them because I love plastic figs. But for the first time, I don't think they are necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
What do you mean by throw in the minis? Don't those just come with the game? And each expansion box comes with minis too (along with whatever expansion rules there are)? I thought they aren't doing the tan minis again; I would not add those. They add no real content to the game, and the minis aren't nice enough to merit the cost.

[edit: just checked the reprint KS - they're doing cardboard standees. Nice of them to offer that, to keep costs down, but that's definitely not my bag, baby!]

As you may infer, I'm not in love with the minis. I'm a minis-nerd, and these are just "adequate". They look OK, and are perfectly serviceable, but if you're a hobbyist and want to paint them, you're going to spend a lot of time up close looking at all the imperfections. At three feet away, on the game board, they'll be fine.

I wouldn't anticipate the minis will be widely available in retail, it seems like they're using KS to fund and sell their product. But I haven't followed the campaign closely, so others may know more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:

As you may infer, I'm not in love with the minis. I'm a minis-nerd, and these are just "adequate". They look OK, and are perfectly serviceable, but if you're a hobbyist and want to paint them, you're going to spend a lot of time up close looking at all the imperfections. At three feet away, on the game board, they'll be fine.

Pretty much this.

Some of them are better than others (some are good even!), but many of the sculpts are pretty ugly and... goofy? Fortunately, it's not like it's that hard to find decent vampires, werewolves, etc. for cheap (or, if you have enough games, to already have such on hand).

I was impressed at the number of broken figures I got though. Nothing some plastic cement won't fix, but yeesh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself a "miniatures snob," having worked with and painted thousands of miniatures (mostly for paying customers), mostly in the high-end ranges (Kingdom Death, Warhammer, WarMachine) etc.

With that in mind, I think these miniatures are... pretty good. I've heard of other people experiencing production problems with theirs, but the set I got was fine. A few minis have noticeable gaps (for example, where a leg connects to the body) but these would not really be an issue if they were painted. There are a few pale spots where the superglue was applied, but again, painting them would make that a non-issue.

The detail is quite good overall; for example, the individual teeth on the vampires were visible and most of the heroes have proper facial features.

The Bananach mini is (in my opinion) one of the worst; it has a big gap where the leg connects to the body and doesn't really match the artwork, which depicts a gaunt, creepy, slender character. The actual miniature looks like a big-headed Barbie doll. The Witch Hunter mini is also missing the hilt of his sword, though I honestly didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me. And the vampires have a disfigured left hand, but I didn't mind it; I thought it looked suitably creepy. Some people complained the Courtesan was too big, but I thought it was justified by her hat and high heels.

Speaking of big: It's worth noting these miniatures are in the 32mm style scale, which means they're similar to Kingdom Death or Warhammer and much, much bigger than the Descent or D&D style minis. Personally, I prefer the larger scale, but some people seem annoyed by this.

One thing that really bugs me is that even if you buy all the miniatures, there are still a few characters in the game that are represented with cardboard tokens. Seems inconsistent to me, but I guess they ran out of money in the budget for the rest. This only affects a few (less than 5) so I guess it's not a big deal.

I also really like the ghost miniatures. Since the plastic is transparent, the details are hard to see, but I think the effect really works well and they do look very "ghostly."

The minis are PVC plastic, but I did not find it too rubbery. A few bits were bent, but you can fix those with the hot water treatment. Pretty similar to CMON minis in that regard.

Overall, I was happy with the miniatures. I'm looking forward to painting them. Whether or not you should buy them depends on how much you like the style. They are a bit on the cartoony side, but I like the exaggerated styling. Since each one has a fairly distinctive silhouette, it's easy to recognize them even if they aren't painted.

Any more questions, let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case I prefer the standies. Standies are "pre painted" and my painting backlog is astronomical so I prefer to go with colored standies.

Anyways, two of my favorite games use standies and they're awesome (Arkham and Eldritch Horror).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
The minis are pretty good really and for the soft plastic pretty detailed too. I also love the postures and the meaty style of them. That's a quite good production run overall.

Some glue and gap issues for they come preassembled with some gaps where the parts cone together but nothing one would notice while playing.

I highly recommend getting them.

Cheers
Peter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ghost minis are great. Translucent was the best choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaper has some pics: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64198-greenbrie...

The difference in price between Tinker and Soldier is $35, and content is the box of 76 miniatures. So, yeah, for that marginal cost, that's a good price for boardgame mini's. For me, I have enough similar mini's to paint from my other miniature KS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a better pic:

https://secure.greenbriergames.com/gne/wp-content/uploads/20...

And the expansion:

https://secure.greenbriergames.com/gne/wp-content/uploads/20...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Reaper has some pics: http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64198-greenbrie...

The difference in price between Tinker and Soldier is $35, and content is the box of 76 miniatures. So, yeah, for that marginal cost, that's a good price for boardgame mini's. For me, I have enough similar mini's to paint from my other miniature KS.

It's not just $35...if you go mini you won't go 50/50 minis/standies so you have to get every other miniature expansions for this KS

So it's $35 + $25 (ghosts) + $15 (Dark Oak) + $20 (Demons & Dark Artifacts) = $95...and optionally the 3D Terrain pack at $25.

If you have the money go ahead, the game will look majestic! I prefer to lower the investment and grab more gameplay expansions for that price. And standies are already colored so for my lazyness it's perfect hahah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
About the minis, all your "Banannach" minis have a pretty big gap on the leg joins the body?

The rest I think are pretty nice, except the courtesans face, that looks like a trucker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme Beaton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mb
Do you think they will add the items from the KS add-ons to the store once this 2nd edition begins to ship?

With the mini in a separate box, it feels like they might put these up on the Greenbrier site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
And you can always check ebay... I just put up a bunch of FTA minis, including all the heroes, that might go for less than the add on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hunter
msg tools
Yes- I wouldn’t play folklore without minis.
Gloomhaven, for me, suffers from not having minis for the monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.