MBT (second edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: General Handling and Tactics of US and Soviet Forces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah Gregg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hello all, I am relatively new to the game but have a relatively good grasp of the system and the majority of the advanced rules. However I have been having some issues with the actual use of the units, specifically the Soviets.

In general as the US I try to take advantage of stabilizers, Short Halting much of the time. The M60A3 can struggle a little bit, with generally poor armor, and a decent gun. The Abrams are absolute monsters, very difficult to kill and very lethal even on the move.

As the Soviets I try and cling to terrain, I find I can't reliably Short Halt like the American forces can. Getting up on hills seems to be the only way to even have a chance of killing Abrams. The gun tube ATGMs seem largely ineffective, though I do like their enormous range.

Perhaps it is realistic, but is rushing US armor the only way to engage them? I feel like I must be missing something as any fight with M1/M1A1 comes off incredibly one sided.

Does anyone have advice for dealing with Western tanks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Do you use the Morale and command rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Russo
United States
flag msg tools
mb
"Perhaps it is realistic, but is rushing US armor the only way to engage them?"

The entirety of US tank gunnery training & doctrine was to engage & hit that the longest range possible in order to prevent this ...so ... there is a reason they were so concerned with Soviet tanks getting too close ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Gregg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Those are the rules I haven't really gotten to. Does that change the situation very much? I don't have someone to play with most of the time, I have only played the 1st scenario (3 times) with some advanced rules. As well as just pushing pieces around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
ncg789 wrote:
Those are the rules I haven't really gotten to. Does that change the situation very much? I don't have someone to play with most of the time, I have only played the 1st scenario (3 times) with some advanced rules. As well as just pushing pieces around.

Yes as Morale levels will pull reins on brashness. Command will limit lone wolf one off tactics. Easy enough to use and does not add a lot of time to game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
ncg789 wrote:

Yes as Morale levels will pull reins on brashness. Command will limit lone wolf one off tactics. Easy enough to use and does not add a lot of time to game play.

I'm adapting these rules for the first time in the solitaire game I'm setting up now. I wish I'd looked at them earlier, because they are quite simple to implement.

For me, the impetus to look at morale was having incredibly high casualty rates over the course of a scenario without any affect on cohesion or commands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Gregg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Okay I'll look into that this evening! I appreciate the input, I just finished Ralph Peters' "Red Army", so part of this may be me wanting the Soviets to succeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will 2
msg tools
Ralph Peters wrote about a 'very lucky' red army in Red Army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.