Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Caverna: The Cave Farmers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Two quick questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Frederick
msg tools
1.) Can you put your worker on 'Wishing for Children" at any point once the game starts or do you have to wait till the fourth round when you would basically flip it over if it was a normal card?

2.) I know you are supposed to clear your fields starting from your cave and work your way out, but if you use a rubies for single clearing tiles can you just put them where ever you want? Like before anything has been cleared a play a ruby and immediately place the single tile on the pig on the top right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Usual Hooligan wrote:
1.) Can you put your worker on 'Wishing for Children" at any point once the game starts or do you have to wait till the fourth round when you would basically flip it over if it was a normal card?
You must wait until the 4th round.

Usual Hooligan wrote:
2.) I know you are supposed to clear your fields starting from your cave and work your way out, but if you use a rubies for single clearing tiles can you just put them where ever you want? Like before anything has been cleared a play a ruby and immediately place the single tile on the pig on the top right.
You must always follow the rules for where to place fields and meadows, no matter what mechanism you use to do so.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Frederick
msg tools
Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
#1 is a question that comes from people naturally doing things differently than the rules explicitly state.

Technically speaking, you're supposed to put the cards in a small "deck", and deal them out each turn. But everyone just puts them all face-down (except for the double-sided card on round 4) because that makes the most intuitive sense.
If it helps, you can use the solo-play card-cover over the "Wish for Children" until you hit round 4 to avoid confusion.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:

If it helps, you can use the solo-play card-cover over the "Wish for Children" until you hit round 4 to avoid confusion.



I strongly suggest you do exactly that.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Time Traveler
msg tools
mb
jozxyqk wrote:
#1 is a question that comes from people naturally doing things differently than the rules explicitly state.

Technically speaking, you're supposed to put the cards in a small "deck", and deal them out each turn. But everyone just puts them all face-down (except for the double-sided card on round 4) because that makes the most intuitive sense.
If it helps, you can use the solo-play card-cover over the "Wish for Children" until you hit round 4 to avoid confusion.


I fully agree on that. Maybe the confusion comes from the way the solo-game is explained (in the Dutch version of the manual anyway).

In the solo-game, according to my rules, cards are put on the board facedown before the start of the game, and indeed, the card "Wish for children" is covered until that round.

In all other versions of the game however, the manual clearly states to make a stack, and place a new card every round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Time Traveler
msg tools
mb
ryudoowaru wrote:
Usual Hooligan wrote:
1.) Can you put your worker on 'Wishing for Children" at any point once the game starts or do you have to wait till the fourth round when you would basically flip it over if it was a normal card?
You must wait until the 4th round.

Usual Hooligan wrote:
2.) I know you are supposed to clear your fields starting from your cave and work your way out, but if you use a rubies for single clearing tiles can you just put them where ever you want? Like before anything has been cleared a play a ruby and immediately place the single tile on the pig on the top right.
You must always follow the rules for where to place fields and meadows, no matter what mechanism you use to do so.


Question 2: Indeed Trevor. Just try to interprete the rules a bit like it where real-life situations. IRL, you don't have an overview of the woods telling you hey, there's a boar! let's go that way! shake

Instead, you are exploring from where you start (in this case the cave-entrance), and you might hear that in the north there seems to be a boar, but you have to discover where he actually is before you can capture it.

I know that there seem to be paths on the player-boards which you could use to get there directly, but I think they're only there to show the boundaries of where to place the tiles.

In my interpretation, these are dense woods, and you have to work your way through them before you get to the boar. It is not a park or garden these dwarves are living in
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.