19 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Collides/Collision/Knockback/Knock Down + Edge of Board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
My survivor is standing on the edge of the game board. Lion is 1 tile in front and facing him. Lion gets attacked by another survivor behind it and failure reaction forces it to move 1 space away from the attacker (in the direction of the 1st survivor).

What happens?

A) The lion collides with the survivor. The survivor is knocked down and I place him 1 tile to the side, along the edge of the game board.

B) The lion has a collision with the survivor. The survivor is knocked back 5 spaces, along the edge of the game board.

C) The lion has a collision with the survivor and the survivor collides with the edge of the play area. The survivor is knocked back 5 spaces, along the edge of the game board, and is knocked down.

D) None of the the above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty certain it's A, although it's been over a year since I've played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: I'm re-writing this whole comment to be as accurate as possible. Technically, the answer is none of the above, but the effect is what you've written in C.

What technically happens:

The monster moves 1 space forward, ending its movement on top of the survivor.
The survivor suffers collision from the monster (not the board edge) and is knocked down. See Collision in the KD:M Glossary.
Additionally, because the monster is on top of the survivor, the survivor suffers Knockback 5. See Collides in the KD:M Glossary.
Due to being at the edge of the board, the Knockback actually happens along the board edge instead of backwards.

While we're here, some other things.

* If you experience Knockback and are already at the edge, you slide along the edge. I usually pick the direction based on which side of the monster I'm closer to.

* Same goes for the monster landing on top of a survivor on the edge of the board.

* Knockback, etc. stops at the board edge in normal play. That is to say, if you suffer Knockback 5 and are 3 spaces away from the edge, you move back 3. As far as I'm aware this does NOT cause collision.

Edit: I should fully read the question before answering
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if correct, but with my current understanding of the rules I would go with A.

[edit] After rereading rules, I would actually go with C.

The survivor is knocked down due to collision, and the Monster ends in the same space so the survivor also suffers Knockback 5. Because at edge of board, knockback happens along edge of board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New player here - but FWIW, I think it's B

Collision != knockdown (does not equal)
Collision when a survivor is on the edge of the board means that the survivor is knocked "back" along the edge of the board 5 spaces.

Edit:

1.5 Rulebook, Page 72 Monsters Colliding with Surviors as well as Showdown Board Edges on the same page. I am pretty confident that the answer is "B"

Edit 2:

As mentioned elsewhere in this thread the glossary explicitly states: "When a survivor suffers collision, they are knocked down." So the answer is "C"

As an aside - I wish the rule book was more consistent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to re-read it and now I'm almost certain it's C.

Landing on top of the survivor means it's not just a collision, but also knockback 5. The collision causes knockdown so that's a guarantee. And finally, because you're already at the edge of the board, the knockback is along the edge of the board.

I really should have just read the OP more carefully before answering haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cschrad1 wrote:

Actually, the glossary reads

Collision: When a survivor suffers collision, they are knocked down.

I think you meant != knockBACK, which is usually true. Unless the monster ends its movement on top of survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
My longtime understanding has been 'C'.

Of course, that could be wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the survivor starts on the edge, Knockback will slide them along the side.

If they start away from the edge, Knockback hits them to the edge and then they stop, moving no further.

If a monster moves through a hero but does not stop on them, then they are knocked down in the same space they were in.

If the monster stops n the survivors space, them they are knocked back and suffer collision.

Grab, obviously, changes the end placement of a survivor.

So with all that, c is it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
And, just to be clear: this does not trigger Intimacy. The survivor is "knocked back", not "knocked up".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
cschrad1 wrote:

I think you meant != knockBACK, which is usually true. Unless the monster ends its movement on top of survivors.

WOW - you are correct. It doesn't say that ANYWHERE in the collision rules on page 72. I also confirmed with the BGG members over a week ago that knockback didn't automatically mean knockdown. Since the primary way I've had survivors suffer knockback was via collision I conflated collision and knockback rules.

It does make me wonder if that was a change in the rules for 1.5 and wasn't cleaned up in the glossary..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
If the monster stops n the survivors space, them they are knocked down in an adjacent space.

I just want to reiterate, this is incorrect.

Per the glossary -

Collides: If a monster moves through a space occupied by a survivor, they collide and the survivor suffers collision. If a monster ends its movement on a survivor, they collide, the survivor suffers collision and Knockback 5.
cschrad1 wrote:
I also confirmed with the BGG members over a week ago that knockback didn't automatically mean knockdown.

This is still true. Knockback does not cause Knockdown, or vice versa. Collision causes Knockdown, and a monster ending it's movement on top of a survivor causes both Collision and Knockback 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
And, just to be clear: this does not trigger Intimacy. The survivor is "knocked back", not "knocked up".

Well, not unless you roll double lanterns and have both Lions Testes and Love Juice in the knocked down survivors gear grid. They it summons twin King's Men.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
cschrad1 wrote:
I also confirmed with the BGG members over a week ago that knockback didn't automatically mean knockdown.

This is still true. Knockback does not cause Knockdown, or vice versa. Collision causes Knockdown, and a monster ending it's movement on top of a survivor causes both Collision and Knockback 5.

Yep, got it. As I mentioned I was conflating the Collision and Knockback rules. Thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cschrad1 wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
cschrad1 wrote:

WOW - you are correct. It doesn't say that ANYWHERE in the collision rules on page 72. I also confirmed with the BGG members over a week ago that knockback didn't automatically mean knockdown. Since the primary way I've had survivors suffer knockback was via collision I conflated collision and knockback rules.

It does make me wonder if that was a change in the rules for 1.5 and wasn't cleaned up in the glossary..

It says they are knocked down from collision in the very first paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAH - now I found where it says survivors that suffer collision are knocked down on page 72. Ignore me completely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:

Well, not unless you roll double lanterns and have both Lions Testes and Love Juice in the knocked down survivors gear grid. They it summons twin King's Men.

And if you have Hovel, you get The Hand instead.

cschrad1 wrote:
GAH - now I found where it says survivors that suffer collision are knocked down on page 72. Ignore me completely.

It happens. The rulebook has like, infinity pages. I had a lot of these same questions myself and only know the answers so readily because I did a lot of Google work like two weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cschrad1 wrote:

To be fair, it is in a sort of awkward spot to reference.

My favorite is how Blind spot attacks bonus is only in the Tutorial and glossary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olvenskol wrote:

Giving birth during a monster showdown would be very Kingdom Death though. Poots should consider this for KDM 2.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.