Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After some chatter and feedback I’ve decided to launch a new (and hopefully reoccurring) contest for a 54-Card Game Design. For me, nothing beats a good card game and it’s amazing how much you can get out of a handful of cards. Plus, as some friends and I are making the leap to form a publishing company (Side Room Games), I couldn’t think of a better way to start off than with a game that’s made by the amazing community here on the BGG forums.

Contest Timeline:

Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available: December 1st, 2017
Entry Deadline: February 28th, 2018 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)
Voting Page Available: March 15th, 2018
Voting Deadline: March 31st, 2018 11:59 PM BGG Time (CST)

Earliest Date for Games to be Publicly Available
As noted in other contests, this is the earliest you can put your Work In Progress (WIP) thread onto the forums for feedback. That way the playing field is leveled with regard to public inputs.

Entry Deadline
Another standard. Games can be annotated as “Idea Phase”, “Component Ready”, and “Contest Ready”. All games must be “Contest Ready” by February 28th in order to be eligible for the contest and no new games will be accepted after that date.

Voting Page Available & Deadline
Voting will commence on March 15th and run until March 31st. All votes due by March 31st and no new votes will be accepted after.

Game Entry Requirements:
- All entries should be unpublished
- Game is limited to 54 standard poke-size cards (2.5” x 3.5”) and both sides can be utilized as necessary
- PnP files should fit on A4/Letter size PDF sheets with 9 cards per sheet (so if utilizing both sides on all cards there would be 12 sheets max)
- No restrictions on rules format or length
- No cutting, bending or mutilation of cards is allowed

Check out the Games That Use Only Cards GeekList for inspiration!

Categories:
Here’s the current list of categories planned on top of the d10-0Best Game Overall Category.

d10-1 Best Solo Game
d10-2 Best Cooperative Game
d10-3 Best Party Game
d10-4 Best Euro Game
d10-5 Best Artwork
d10-6 Best Graphical Design
d10-7 Most Unique Game (mechanics and/or theme)
d10-8 Best New Designer (first entry in BGG design contest)

Prizes:
Each category will have GeekGold prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (total for each category TBD). And special for this contest, there will be a Jury Prize that the team at Side Room Games will select.

- 1st place will receive $100 USD + the possibility of a publishing contract with Side Room Games
- 2nd place will receive $50 USD + the possibility of a publishing contract with Side Room Games

And, if we get enough entries we may open up prizes beyond 2nd place...

Other Rules:
- Each designer may submit up to two designs (including any co-designs they are a part of)
- The rights to the games will remain with the authors at all times

These will be the first games coming out of our new company so we’re going to be fully invested in this contest. My goal is to playtest every game that gets to Component Ready and provide feedback to the designer and my guarantee is to do that for EVERY game that makes it to Contest Ready. That way even if you didn't win, you're still getting quality feedback to keep the design going!

If you have any questions or ideas for other categories feel free to chime in! The Official Contest Thread will go up on December 1st. I’m super excited for this and I can’t wait to get it rolling!

FAQ:
d10-1 Can I submit a design that utilizes artwork that I don't have any legal rights to? No, you must have legal rights to any artwork you use in the design. To quote Chris Hansen's contest rules for the 2017 Solitaire Print & Play Contest:

chansen2794 wrote:
Designers must be legally able to release their game, including the artwork. Artwork should be specifically designed for the game, public domain, or released under a Creative Commons license. When using Creative Commons artwork, please credit the original artist in your rules. Designers must receive permission from the rights holder to use artwork protected by copyright. Games violating copyright may be disqualified from the contest.

d10-2 Can I have any counters/tokens to help keep track of victory points? No, 54 cards only. If the players need to keep score, suggesting pencil & paper is reasonable and allowed.
d10-3 Can I include a scorepad for final scoring? No official score sheet as an extra component, but having a detailed walkthrough of scoring in the rules so that someone can use a pencil & paper would make sense.
d10-4 Can we design a game where the cards would be laminated for writing & dry erasing? Not for this go around. Would be challenging for playtesters to put together and creeps beyond our publishing scope for the contest. But could be considered for future contests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
Some of those deadlines belong in 2018, I would think. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MusRattus wrote:
Some of those deadlines belong in 2018, I would think. whistle

Good catch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd Hackwelder
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be entering this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great! I think I can enter with one of my designs I've been working lately.

Question?
Does the Artwork has to be original? Or can we "enter" a game that uses "random" artwork.

In the case of my game I have googled some art (which I don't own in any way) just to make it look pretty and play test it around with my friends and family.

Can I enter the contest even though the art is not mine or should I enter with original components only?

Last but not least... does some counters count? Or this is exclusively a 54 card game. By this I mean can I use 8 counters as "Victory Points" or I need to use only cards?

Thanks for your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rasdel wrote:
Great! I think I can enter with one of my designs I've been working lately.

Question?
Does the Artwork has to be original? Or can we "enter" a game that uses "random" artwork.

In the case of my game I have googled some art (which I don't own in any way) just to make it look pretty and play test it around with my friends and family.

Can I enter the contest even though the art is not mine or should I enter with original components only?

For this one we'll handle it like most of the other contests do with either original components or art that you can legally release. Here's a great quote from Chris Hansen's contest rules for the 2017 Solitaire Print & Play Contest:

chansen2794 wrote:
Designers must be legally able to release their game, including the artwork. Artwork should be specifically designed for the game, public domain, or released under a Creative Commons license. When using Creative Commons artwork, please credit the original artist in your rules. Designers must receive permission from the rights holder to use artwork protected by copyright. Games violating copyright may be disqualified from the contest.

On some of my prototype designs in the past I've utilized icons from game-icons.net or other free icon sites. There's also opengameart.org, which has a ton of art available to use under a Creative Commons license.

And rest assured, even if the art is basic, the gameplay is the most important thing in our eyes!

Rasdel wrote:
Last but not least... does some counters count? Or this is exclusively a 54 card game. By this I mean can I use 8 counters as "Victory Points" or I need to use only cards?

The constraints on this contest are just 54 cards and no counters. I think it's fair to ask the players to keep score with a pencil & paper similar to other classic card games.

There are also other options like having cards dual purpose as VPs (similar to the classic Bohnanza).

Thanks for the great questions! I'll add a living FAQ section to the original post in case other folks have questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
On some of my prototype designs in the past I've utilized icons from game-icons.net or other free icon sites. There's also opengameart.org, which has a ton of art available to use under a Creative Commons license.

And rest assured, even if the art is basic, the gameplay is the most important thing in our eyes!

Noted! Thanks for clarifying that.

Quote:
The constraints on this contest are just 54 cards and no counters. I think it's fair to ask the players to keep score with a pencil & paper similar to other classic card games.

There are also other options like having cards dual purpose as VPs (similar to the classic Bohnanza).

Thanks for the great questions! I'll add a living FAQ section to the original post in case other folks have questions.

Yeap, that was something I had in mind.

I guess I have some work to do... to make sure I get everything ready for the contest. Hope I can make it. Either way, thanks for your clarifications thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Cool idea! So just to confirm, if we have no interest in the artwork side of things, can we just turn in a prototype with bad-but-functional artwork and if you decide to publish our design you would be able to hire some artists?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
Cool idea! So just to confirm, if we have no interest in the artwork side of things, can we just turn in a prototype with bad-but-functional artwork and if you decide to publish our design you would be able to hire some artists?

Exactly! That way it's still a no-issues PnP for folks during the design contest. As we move forward with the best designs we'll start honing in on theme/art/graphic design with the designer to pick the best way to produce the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Perry
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonasVenture wrote:

Does this preclude the use of a scorepad (e.g. Yahtzee)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
moogle1 wrote:
Does this preclude the use of a scorepad (e.g. Yahtzee)?

For this go around I'd say yes. At the end of the day, if we get to development and decide we have to include a pad then we'll cross that bridge when we get there (same with tokens).

For the contest, I could see in the rules a step-by-step method to score which you could do with a pencil and scratch paper.

Hopefully that answers your question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another rules query:
Quote:

Would "mutilation" include laminating a card and using it with a dry-erase marker such that the card could be drawn on / erased during gameplay? I know I'm stretching the rules a bit here, but thinking of a draw-and-write game (in the style of roll & write but using card draws)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Another rules query:
Quote:

Would "mutilation" include laminating a card and using it with a dry-erase marker such that the card could be drawn on / erased during gameplay? I know I'm stretching the rules a bit here, but thinking of a draw-and-write game (in the style of roll & write but using card draws)...

I'd say no on this as well. Could be challenging for folks to playtest and would push past what we're planning for this contest. But that's a very cool idea to build on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Added the GeekList we've put together for games that use only cards. Hopefully this can provide some inspiration for potential designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, we have a website now! http://www.sideroomgames.com

It's almost like we're legitimate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.