Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: Making changes to "frail" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My group really hates the "frail" mechanic. We understand you can do things like game the hit location deck by using cat's eye circle, but we find that kind of boring.

Would it be too OP to just make it so that when a frail weapon breaks you can't use it again during that encounter, and can be repaired back in the settlement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Y'know, I think that's a pretty good house rule. There are a few expensive frail weapons, but honestly I think that that would be fine as a lessened penalty. If you wanted to hedge a little more, I might add something like a 1-endeavor or 1-resource cost to fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To balance this the repair cost would probably need to be impactful. If you use resource I would require a resource matching what was used to craft it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Jake Armitage Avatar. Shadowrun for SNES is still one of the best RPGs ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:
To balance this the repair cost would probably need to be impactful. If you use resource I would require a resource matching what was used to craft it.
There are certainly many ways to do that sort of thing, for instance, using a named resource or a rare resource, or common sense (whatever your group thinks is most valuable), since it's a house rule, anyways. The problem IMHO is that there's a wide array of frail gear, that ranges from lots of cheap stuff (where another resource is fairly pricey) to stuff like the Dragon Slayer that's expensive and I'm not really sure why it has the keyword to begin with.

Personally, I like the house rule, because I think that anything that gets rid of more boring rules that encourage you to play hyper-conservatively is worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
I like the Jake Armitage Avatar. Shadowrun for SNES is still one of the best RPGs ever.

Thanks been using this same avatar since the beginning of time haha!

spiralingcadaver wrote:
oduh wrote:
There are certainly many ways to do that sort of thing, for instance, using a named resource or a rare resource, or common sense (whatever your group thinks is most valuable), since it's a house rule, anyways. The problem IMHO is that there's a wide array of frail gear, that ranges from lots of cheap stuff (where another resource is fairly pricey) to stuff like the Dragon Slayer that's expensive and I'm not really sure why it has the keyword to begin with.

Personally, I like the house rule, because I think that anything that gets rid of more boring rules that encourage you to play hyper-conservatively is worthwhile.

My main concern is, are there weapons that are really OP (Zanbato?) but have the "frail" penalty that will cause some other weapons to be completely outclassed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think so. Within a fight, you'll still have the same advantages/disadvantages: cat eye circlet/wisdom potion are still essential to using frail; it's still worth considering a backup non-frail weapon; you still lose the weapon for the fight if you hit the location, which means you want to manage some form of the stuff above. The difference is that it just makes the fight harder if it breaks, rather than more substantially setting you back.

Probably all it would do is make it so you can be a little freer with your fighting and, if a fight is going really poorly, keep fighting instead of needing to consider the value of not fighting but not potentially losing some gear you paid for. It makes the game less penalizing, but probably won't significantly alter combat strategy other than giving you a little bit of a safety net.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
phillipsjr2 wrote:
My main concern is, are there weapons that are really OP (Zanbato?) but have the "frail" penalty that will cause some other weapons to be completely outclassed?

In line with this, there is one thing I can think of that this sort of breaks. In the Dung Beetle Knight expansion, you can bury and calcify a Zanbato so that it loses "Frail." This feels like a very well earned change that you have to work for to get, and by changing Frail, it becomes less desirable to bury it.

That said, I've learned that KD:M is a huge sandbox that you can really house rule to your heart's content. For example, I generally refuse to acknowledge hunt events that wipe a whole party, and if I gain gear but don't have space in anyone's gear grid I just chuck it into settlement storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Elyklord wrote:

In line with this, there is one thing I can think of that this sort of breaks. In the Dung Beetle Knight expansion, you can bury and calcify a Zanbato so that it loses "Frail." This feels like a very well earned change that you have to work for to get, and by changing Frail, it becomes less desirable to bury it.

The stats of the zanbato also get better when it is calcified so would still be worth it, but fair point.

I agree with Nick, nice little houserule. It seems to fit as well with things like your armour getting destroyed and you taking severe injuries/horrific death yet it still goes back to the settlement in perfect condition.

If you think it is too much of a buff, then rather than trying to figure out a resource cost to bring it back you could make it skip the next hunt while its being fixed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
strewart wrote:
Elyklord wrote:

The stats of the zanbato also get better when it is calcified so would still be worth it, but fair point.

I agree with Nick, nice little houserule. It seems to fit as well with things like your armour getting destroyed and you taking severe injuries/horrific death yet it still goes back to the settlement in perfect condition.

If you think it is too much of a buff, then rather than trying to figure out a resource cost to bring it back you could make it skip the next hunt while its being fixed?

I also like the idea of being able to recover one resource used to make the weapon. So you could "recover" the Great Cat Bone but you'd have to spend the other resources to remake it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that skipping a year, and deciding it costs one required resource or an endeavor (pick one, not optional) feels just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom W -
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Losing it for a year + spending 1 endeavor is a nice penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidenote: It will be interesting to see what the Mad & Mighty Striker from Gamblers chest brings. Intrigued both by the description that ”His Zanbato cracked and repaired many times from his own mighty strikes.” Which could maybe be related to his fighting art? But also that he comes with a philosophy called Impermamenism, I wonder what that could be?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/poots/kingdom-death-mon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.