Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
No spoilers, please.

What kind of skills does a player have to bring to this game?

I am asking because I'd like to know of my child can play this with me. She likes co-op games a lot and can play fabled fruit an fear.

Is this one really complex? EDIT: Also, how thematic is the game?

Thanks for sharing your ideas and observations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules are simple.
There are a lot of card text and card interactions that lead to complex plays and combos.
The puzzle involves planning ahead several turns.
The theme is quite effective and perhaps evident on the box.

As for playing with children, my 5yr old daughter really likes the cards but the text and mechanics required a fair bit of explanation. Due to the games length she lost sustained interest but still popped back for updates on progress and/or failure.

I cant compare to fabled fruit or fear but hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alpha beta
msg tools
I try to keep this list of skills as spoiler-free as possible, but I will have to mention some things which you will learn in the first 3 minutes of playing (which is, setting up the game and reading the first rules).

Skills needed / which can be learned from FLEE:

- Play truly cooperatively: Often you have to skip your own turn quite often to help the group survive
- Discuss strategies and think ahead of time (next 4 turns)
- Understand cards with a lot of text, sometimes with subtle but very important differences
- Ability to lose often, revisit why this happened and come up with a strategy to avoid losing next time (by remembering cards and the order in which they come up)

The complexity in this game comes from the card texts and from the difficulty. We played this as a two-player game and it took us about 3 sessions of 1-1.5 hours to finish this. We lost often but the game gives you some help when you lose (it is still difficult and can be frustrating because you have to keep in mind a lot of things).

Both Fabled Fruit and Fear are a lot easier to understand and much more forgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both for your elaborations. I guess with the long-term planning and the lot of text on the cards, this will be too much, right now. I'll try to gather some adults for playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philippe Keppens
Belgium
Meldert (Aalst)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After 3 plays I would say you need the skill of being able to program code in Visual Basic so you can write a program in Excel that calculates for you automatically which card has to be at which point when an upcoming failure card is present.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I decided to give it a go with my 7yo anyways and she liked it a lot. I had to explain the cards to her. Most are easier to grasp than their long text makes you think.

After two futile attempts we got very far on the third go and managed to beat it on the fifth.

Planning, both analytically and heuristically, are very important. Visualizing what will happen if we go with a particular play. Keeping the resources you got until you need them and using them when you really do need them.

Needless to say, this is basically a solo game for up to 4 players. There is no special communication skill or hidden information. So, you can assist your younger players and enable them to do well.

We really liked the experience. Would recommend. The attractive theme did its part in making this parent-child friendly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news. Glad she enjoyed it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.