Brian Klessig
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
She is fairly new to boardgames. We have played Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective and she really enjoyed that.
Any other suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the recent spate of escape room games seem like they are worth a look. I think the Unlock! and EXIT games are the most popular. There is a timer on them, but of course, it's your game - if you prefer, you can play without it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools

Deadline seems to be sherlock light with more "gaminess" to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M
msg tools
mbmbmb

I introduced my fiance to Pandemic, Iberia. It was her first modern board game and she loved it, wanted to play a second time right afterwards.

Puzzly in its own way, and the Iberia theme is superb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legends of Andor if you like fantasy.
Pandemic is good, too.
T.I.M.E Stories if you enjoy storytelling; I have heard it's not that good with 2 players, however.

The escape room style games mentioned above are good, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ravens of Thri Sahashri is a great, small co-op card game where you have to solve a puzzle together without communicating, Well, you can talk freely, just not about the game. ;) My husband and I enjoyed it a lot! And when you beat the game for the first time, you unlock new rules that make the next time more challenging & interesting, I highly recommend it!

+1 for Deadline, we've only played the first case so far, but had a great time. It was a little easy, but I suspect it gets harder with each case, so probably a good starting point if you want to introduce your wife to something with more game play but with a similar theme & feel as Consulting Detective. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alpha beta
msg tools
I can also recommend the escape-room type games. But beware that they are actual puzzles with a single solution so you can only play them once (also, some ask you to destroy components, which you can avoid if you want).

Fast Forward: FLEE is a recent small game which is also a puzzle but there is some variety to it. It is quite tough though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazy Mountain

Colorado
msg tools
mb
Maybe good filler for you: Codenames Duet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles-Louis de Maere
Belgium
Pecrot
flag msg tools
mbmb
If you don't mind a silent coop game where you might giggle most of the time, I would encourage you to take a look at Magic Maze.

What I like in the 2 player aspect, is that we are all responsible for all the possible actions, but since we can't talk, there's a lot of mindreading and giggling taking place .

It's definitely not the same kind of game as Sherlock Holmes, however it's pure light-hearted fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would advise against Escape Room games. While I did enjoy playing Unlocked for an hour, there's no replayability at all. If you are looking for a strong 2 player puzzle, you can't go wrong with anything from Pandemic line. Also perhaps try Forbidden Island (lighter) or Forbidden Desert (heavier) based on your gaming preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shriver
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
XendoBreckett wrote:
I would advise against Escape Room games. While I did enjoy playing Unlocked for an hour, there's no replayability at all. If you are looking for a strong 2 player puzzle, you can't go wrong with anything from Pandemic line. Also perhaps try Forbidden Island (lighter) or Forbidden Desert (heavier) based on your gaming preference.

I still think the Escape Room games are worth the price you pay. You get the experience of a real escape room for a fraction of the price. You're looking at $10.39 for the Exit series games on Miniature Market right now. That's worth the hour in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hanabi

+1 Legends of Andor
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Klessig
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
All I can say is WOW! I am new to this community and the amount of responses is incredible. I will be looking over all the suggestions!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Shriver
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bklessig wrote:
All I can say is WOW! I am new to this community and the amount of responses is incredible. I will be looking over all the suggestions!

Thanks!

I hope you find a suitable game, Brian (or maybe twenty of them...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.