Subject: Cartoony game art poll rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How much do you like cartoony game art, for a game for older youth and adults?
like very much
like a little bit
neutral
dislike a little bit
dislike
dislike very much
Who are you to ask me this question???
      146 answers
Poll created by emike

Comments are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it really depends on how well the artist captures the theme. It can be accomplished using cartoon art, if that's appropriate to the overall feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Stockwell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a simple question that's not simple ... I can see cartoony game art in a game aimed 13+, if it fits thematically. While most themes which suggest cartoony art are for younger audiences, I wouldn't characterize that as an absolute.

And then you have to define cartoony -- does that include anime, for example?

If it's a heavy/serious/grim setting ... sure, cartoony has a fair chance of putting me off. But I can think of games I've played with cartoony art where our groups were all adults, and where campaigns included adult topics ... but the game's art was still cartoony, and we all dug it.

If the question is, "should games aimed at non-youth audiences use cartoony art, esp. cover art?" ... I'd say they should probably think hard on it, and when in doubt, avoid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Roback
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I look for cartoon art work that is original. Most board games have lame art in my opinion. They mostly follow the same trends. Small World had really cool art work before that style has been overused. Santorini is the epitome of lame cartooning. I hate cartoon covers with people smiling - it seems very cheezy. Artist Doris Matthäus illustrates games such as Pickomino, Frank's Zoo, Primordial Soup - I think she has a unique original style. Alexandre Roche's art work for Troyes, Jaipur, and Tournay I think are very original as well. My game, Swinging Jivecat Voodoo Lounge has a retro cartoon style lifted off of Josh Agle aka Shag by the masterful artist Sergi Marcet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted Like mainly because I like the original Glory to Rome art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to dislike cartoony art since it's so widely used now. I think because it's safe and family friendly. But would like to see more gritty, realistic game art for games aimed at older players. Of course, it's harder to find a talented artist to do realistic and it takes a lot more time to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ScottE wrote:
I'm starting to dislike cartoony art since it's so widely used now. I think because it's safe and family friendly. But would like to see more gritty, realistic game art for games aimed at older players.

I'm with you. I've never been a fan, but nowadays almost every Fantasy-themed game has cartoony art, no matter who the target audience is, and it has become utterly annoying. Most often, it's not even good cartoony art, but some crude overstylized crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Francis
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the game and the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my top 50 there are I think five games with cartoony art; Burgle Bros, Small World, Camel Up, RoboRally and Colt Express.
They are all done very good imho and therefore I chose like.
Also, the cartoony style for these games emphasizes their light heartedness, nothing to take too seriously here.
But cartoons also come in many styles, I guess I could also call Zombicide Black Plague cartoony.

Either way, I would be less enthusiastic if it became a very large part of my games. I would hate to see some of my favorite artwork, e.g. in Scythe or Legends of Andor, be replaced by a cartoony style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Tolputt
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Given that you didn't provide any context whatsoever for where I like the art, I'm going to assume you meant "Do I like cartoony game art in games where it is appropriate?". To which the answer is 'Yes', but not really to the exclusion of other styles (hence my less emphatic "Like" poll response).

For example, no matter how much I like cartoon art - I'm not going to think them appropriate for a game like This War of Mine. On the other hand, if the game is thematically set in, say, a village of Smurfs - I'm going to think cartoon art appropriate regardless of how adult the game's mechanics might be.

As this is clearly a response to people's opinion in this thread, I'm going to go even further and clarify that I see no problem with cartoon art in modern games and don't see what all the fuss is about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
If the game has a name Little Minions, I would expect the cartoony art. If it's called Slaughter Camp, I wouldn't expect anything cute about it.

With that said, I would really love to see a good Asterix & Obelix game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't answer that just like that. It really depends on the game, the tone of the game, and the quality of the art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
You can't answer that just like that. It really depends on the game, the tone of the game, and the quality of the art.

That wasn't an answer, that was a comment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One difficulty is that I'm not sure how you define "cartoony" art. I think some things are "obviously cartoony" and some things are "obviously not", but many things seem rather ambiguous and depend on one's particular definition and sense of what "cartoony" is.

Out of curiosity, a poll:

Poll
Which of these art styles is "cartoony"? (Click all which you consider "cartoony".)
      46 answers
Poll created by russ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Prakljacic
msg tools
Damn, there are many styles in between. Like comic style, caricature, clip art...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bleicher
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
MG
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russ has a point, there is just too many things that can be described as "cartoony" in order to simply claim if cartoony art is "OK or not".

By the way, one clever use of cartoony art is to be sarcastic about a dark theme. Think of the "cannon fodder" video game series, heck, that was brilliant. I'm not much into wargames, but I would seriously consider a bona fide wargame with such art over the usual art in that genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on the theme of the game. Also depends on the art. All "cartoony" art is not equal. Some styles are great for me and other evoke a feeling of those free to play apps that spam your every Facebook scroll. So I picked neutral, as style and context make the difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepijn van Loon
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Cartoony" is such a wide description. There are hundreds of different styles of cartoony artwork. It also depends on the type of game, but I often do enjoy a stylized look.

This game looks pretty ugly to me:

But this is a real beauty:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should do another poll about all the chibi figures showing up in games these days.

I don't like them at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
The poll imo won't answer the intent behind the question I'm guessing.

Context matters. I think most people would feel there are times when Cartoony graphics are preferred and times when it is not.

Hardcore war gamers might not want cartoony graphics whereas people playing kids games would like cartoony graphics.

It's situational. I love King of Tokyo but graphics like that might not be so welcome as I'm playing Kingdom Death.

I think the acceptance of Cartoony art is also cultural in some instances. Chibi is probably more accepted in asian cultures. And I think there are lots of people who do not like Anime/Manga art styles. I think Tom Vasel is okay with the Chibi art style but other forms of Anime/Manga art style might not be his cup of tea. Some Anime/Manga do often over sexualize women so I'm sure that is where some of the distaste might come from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Allen
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I have a game project I'm working on and I have been interviewing and hiring artists for a couple of months now, I have come to realize that "realistic" or "semi-realistic" styles of art are a lot more expensive to pay for than cartoon art.

I'm not putting cartoon art down, it is completely appropriate for many games, especially those targetted for the family audience, I am just saying that with the explosion in kickstarter board games in the last few years, if a person wanted to hire art done for their game, they would need a lot less investment if they went with a simple, cartoony style, just on hours of effort alone.

That is one reason you are seeing cartoon art pop up all over the place these days - probably the main reason.
Sometimes the art choice is made for budget reasons more-so than aesthetic reasons.

In my opinion - bad cartoon art is a lot more forgiving/acceptable than bad realistic or semi-realistic art. You can make a head too large or eyes in the wrong spot or things slightly out of scale and it doesn't matter in a lot of cartoon art pieces, but if something is wrong on a MtG style piece of art, it throws the whole piece off and is usually pretty obvious.

That being said, like anything else, there is a whole range of cartoon art out there and some is obviously better than others.
There are some very talented cartoon-style artists out there.

Like other people have said already - you wouldn't want cartoon art in Scythe, but you also don't need Scythe art in King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that photography isn't used in more realistic games, or at least cgi made to look realistic. Most art we see on tv or at the movies is plain tv cameras and actors (unless you live in Japan) even for shows set in space or fantasy worlds, but in board games it is mostly paintings and drawings even for ordinary everyday things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:
The poll imo won't answer the intent behind the question I'm guessing.

Since the intent behind the question is for the OP to get validation regarding his minority opinion posted in another thread, I think you're right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
I'm surprised that photography isn't used in more realistic games, or at least cgi made to look realistic. Most art we see on tv or at the movies is plain tv cameras and actors (unless you live in Japan) even for shows set in space or fantasy worlds, but in board games it is mostly paintings and drawings even for ordinary everyday things.

FWIW I've seen some threads about that which gave me the impression that most people prefer art (paintings, drawings, etc) rather than photographs in boardgames. (FWIW I usually prefer art over photos too.)

Perhaps it has to do with leaving a bit more freedom to the imagination, like how when reading prose fiction which happens to have some illustrations, those illustrations are usually not photos. But I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
I voted Like mainly because I like the original Glory to Rome art.

I too prefer it.

Has more 'character'. I find the new are quite 'boring'. PLUS, much harder to see what other people have from across the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.