Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just got my box of the game! I've watched reviews, but didn't read all the rules yet.

Sometimes publishers hide a good feature of a game behind an "advanced variation" so that more casual gamers don't become intimidated by the game at start. Maybe it is the case of this variant? My group doesn't mind, we play heavy games. Or maybe this variant is really an alternative to play, just a different flavor?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played with the caves variant and didn't even know it WAS a variant until I just looked it up (I was playing someone else's copy). I can't imagine playing without it and it's not a burdensome addition to the rules or anything like that. I'd suggest you always use it and never look back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say different flavor. It adds some additional decisions and risk-taking to the game - as well as some slight luck factor. Without these, the only hidden information is the cards you draw; with these you can be lucky and less lucky, even though their effect is rarely that significant for the whole game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
For a more family-friendly, luck-driven game, add the expansion.
I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Usticke
United States
Peekskill
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first game without it while we were learning the rules, but have included it in every game since. It's not that big of a change, so I would recommend including it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used it yet, and don't see the need for the luck element.

At some point I'll ask Reiner what the origin is and his view of it. But not right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
Polynesia
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a different flavor. If you put the caves off the optimal path, it adds some risk/reward decisions. We use them all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice, but I didn't even know caves was a variant.
I don't see any reason not to include the cave tokens, they don't add much difficulty and they do add a little more agency, in addition to the risk/reward.
I like them and don't think I'll ever choose to play without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of you got it wrong. OP is not asking whether the variant is good or not, or difficult.

I believe that what he wants to know is: "Was Knizia's idea to add this rule and the publisher decided to only have it as a variant, or was Knizia's original game without the cave tokens and the publisher asked him to add more spice?".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone missed it, because the subject line could have been better, Reiner's answer was given in https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1882962/cave-variant-st...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.