Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Mills
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
Your Evil Is My Good
badge
I am Sutekh the Destroyer. Where I tread I leave nothing but dust and darkness...I find that good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ich suche Brettspiele, die mir helfen können, die deutsche Sprache zu lernen ... kannst du mir helfen? Tausend Dank!

p.s. ich bin in den U.S.A.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess any games that actively use the language and drive a story will do.

Assuming that you have guys in your game group who pursue the same goal, you might want to look more at party games than at strategic/family games.

E.g., German Trivial Pursuit editions with non-German topics, like the Trivial Pursuit: Globetrotter, or many other trivia games.

Or how about story-heavy games like Mansions of Madness: Second Edition? You can buy your normal English edition, but download the German app, so that you have the story in German (and if you have enough, you can always switch back to English).

Also, how about a pen-and-paper role playing game? Warhammer is set in some kind of alternate-Holy-Roman-Empire-Germany, and all the NPCs have German-like names: do the story in English and let the characters talk in German.

Cheers,
Ron.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
just kidding
mbmbmbmbmb
Look for games that are bilingual, f.e. Concordia
So you got 2 sets of cards and can compare and in time exchange
them in play. After all hat maybe get a more texty game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
How about games where you have to come up with words? You could play Scrabble juat using German words. Or how about Paperback? Not sure if the distribution of letters is the same in both the English and the German version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Roehrig
Germany
Leipzig
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magermilchmagier wrote:
How about games where you have to come up with words? You could play Scrabble juat using German words. Or how about Paperback? Not sure if the distribution of letters is the same in both the English and the German version.

There is a german version of Paperback, because the distribution is much different. It was fanmade but approved by the designer, I heard that it shall become an official release some time ago.
Long story short: I think Paperback wouldn`t be the best learning game, because you need to come up with words before you can play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sascha Bötzel
Germany
Schwerte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We helped Syrian refugees to learn German by playing Catan. We provided player aids for all cards, but all negotiations had to happen in German. So they learned the language and lost theit anxiety to use it, because all happened in a safe environment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wir haben einen Franzosen in der Gruppe (sonst kommen alle aus Deutschland) und üben manchmal Deutsch mit Codenames.
Codenames: Pictures geht auch und es wären nicht gleich Homonyme im Überfluss auswendig zu lernen.

Wie gut ist denn dein Level?

Alle abstrakten Spiele (Dixit, Mysterium, ...) bei denen man viel reden muss, eignen sich aus meiner Sicht, das Sprechen und das verstehende Hören zu verbessern.

Die Print-and-Play Version (deutsch) von Paperback, Scrabble und Upwords sind sicherlich auch gute Ideen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to go with a story have game in German I would suggest to go with something where that wasn't translated into German, like Legends of Andor.
If you have a group that's learning together any game where you have to come up with your own words or story can be used to practice language learning like or Dixit. In case you go with something like scrabble where you have letters to make your own words, I would advice you to get the German version not just for the Umlaute, but because we have other easy and hard letters and it can be frustrating to get stuck with y in a game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldron wrote:
Look for games that are bilingual, f.e. Concordia.

AFAIK, only the very first version of Concordia was bilingual. Then it soon became clear that there is enough demand for pure German and pure English versions (plus a lot more languages).

In general, it is difficult to find card games with two or more packs of cards, one for each individual language. The added costs are only justified for smaller print runs, when two seperate print runs would be even more expensive. But even if the thread starter has to buy a second German version of a game he already owns and likes, this could help him learn German.

Another idea for the thread starter is to look for German rule PDFs, e.g. here at BGG in the files section, of games he already knows. Be aware, however, that some companies which localize popular English language games to other markets to not publish rule books online because they fear that people buy a cheaper English version and then only download rules in their native language, i.e. the localizing publisher does not get paid for his translation efforts. But for games which had a German version already in the first print run, one can usually find a German rule PDF online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Schmitter
Germany
Castrop-Rauxel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stannis the King wrote:
Wir haben einen Franzosen in der Gruppe (sonst kommen alle aus Deutschland) und üben manchmal Deutsch mit Codenames.
Codenames: Pictures geht auch und es wären nicht gleich Homonyme im Überfluss auswendig zu lernen.

Wie gut ist denn dein Level?

Alle abstrakten Spiele (Dixit, Mysterium, ...) bei denen man viel reden muss, eignen sich aus meiner Sicht, das Sprechen und das verstehende Hören zu verbessern.

Die Print-and-Play Version (deutsch) von Paperback, Scrabble und Upwords sind sicherlich auch gute Ideen.

Mir würden jetzt auch spontan Dixit/Mysterium und Codenames einfallen. Ein anderes schönes Spiel ist vielleicht "Game of Quotes" von Marc-Uwe Kling. Es gibt eine recht witzige Video Anleitung auf Deutsch auf Youtube. Bei dem Spiel sind halt sehr viele verschiedene Zitate auf Deutsch. Im Gegensatz zu Spielen wie Dixit etc. werden die Spieler also der Deutschen Sprache besser ausgesetzt, denke ich. Und man lernt gleich etwas über die deutsche Kultur dabei. Außerdem macht das Spiel echt Spaß
Zum kennen lernen kannst du dir einfach mal die Spielerklärung hier anschauen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBNKz-0FnQ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca G
Germany
Frankfurt
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Come to the dark side - we have cookieees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mein Kumpel und ehemaliges Tandem hat viel durch Abende mit Anno Domini: Sex & Crime gelernt. Gemischt mit anderen Varianten wie z. B. Anno Domini: Im Namen des Gesetzes, Anno Domini: Erfindungen und einem total fremden Thema für uns alle wie z. B. Anno Domini: Schweiz hatten wir schon viel Spaß.
Codenames gabs da noch nicht.
Edith sagt: Citadels war auch immer nett. Wir haben da noch ein bisschen drumherum erzählt und Bohnanza natürlich.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hold a monthly 'Spielabend' where we play games auf Deutsch. I have several popular games in German. Assuming you don't want to pay the big bucks to buy German versions of games, here are a couple thoughts.

I second Dixit. This has been popular with my games group.

Cooperative games are great for practicing a language. Flashpoint is bilingual. You can take Forbidden Island and sleeve the cards, putting in paste-ups of the few cards that are language dependent.

We play Celestia and other language independent games in German.

Watch German video reviews. Some of the reviewers speak very quickly, but others are easy to follow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorrig von Knorrig
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"The Game" wäre auch eine offensichtliche Wahl. Man lernt neben dem differenzierten Ausdrücken von Abständen auch noch die Zahlen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Germany
Dresden
Saxony
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Concept

Bücherwurm

Kofferpacken Extrem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bezzerwizzer is a trivia game that is more fun than trivial pursuit and usually great at parties. It's also kind of educative for German learners as there are many Germany-specific questions in the German version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmb
Ich bin nicht sicher, ob Spiele mit Zeitdruck hilfreich sind, aber ich empfehle Sag's mir! Familie oder
Sag's mir! Filme

Wahrscheinlich ist es aber am besten man spielt irgendein Spiel mit möglichst vielen Deutschen. Eine anschließende Diskussion oder Plauderrunde sind sicher vorteilhaft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Mills
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
Your Evil Is My Good
badge
I am Sutekh the Destroyer. Where I tread I leave nothing but dust and darkness...I find that good.
mbmbmbmbmb
So viele gute ideen...danke! Die Mansions of Madness App in Deutsch ... das ist einfach! Daran habe ich nicht gedacht. Ich werde Ihre Vorschläge untersuchen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torn
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a version of "Tales of the Arabian Nights" in German "1001 Nacht" from 2009: https://www.spieletest.at/gesellschaftsspiel/2492/

The game has a story book with over 1000 stories, if that is what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.