United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just back from EuroQuest. Between a loan from Congress of Gamers' library and GCOM's own extensive library, open gamers could borrow pretty much what they wanted to play. Here are the most borrowed games (at least those the borrowers created checkout entries for), in order. Note that "filler" games get extra play at a tourney heavy con like EuroQuest (because gamers often have odd time blocks to kill before their X O'clock heat). Other con directors might want to pick up some of these titles if they aren't already in their libraries.

Splendor
Century Spice Road
Thurn and Taxis
Lost Cities
Potion Explosion
Ticket to Ride
Ticket to Ride Rails and Sails
Can't Stop
Orleans
Power Grid
Vegas Showdown
Castles of Burgundy
Cities of Splendor
Codenames Duet
Fairy Mischief
Feast for Odin
Ra
Russian Railroads
Uno

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perrianne Lurie
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the games are on the list because they were in the "Wild Card" tournament (or one of the regular tournaments), so people borrowed them to play for points.

Wild Card Games:
Century Spice Road
Lost Cities
Potion Explosion
Can't Stop
Orleans
Vegas Showdown

Tournament Games:
Splendor
Thurn and Taxis
Ticket to Ride
Power Grid
Castles of Burgundy
Russian Railroads

So the games NOT on either list were popular on their own merits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plurie wrote:
Some of the games are on the list because they were in the "Wild Card" tournament (or one of the regular tournaments), so people borrowed them to play for points.

Wild Card Games:
Century Spice Road
Lost Cities
Potion Explosion
Can't Stop
Orleans
Vegas Showdown

Tournament Games:
Splendor
Thurn and Taxis
Ticket to Ride
Power Grid
Castles of Burgundy
Russian Railroads

So the games NOT on either list were popular on their own merits.

I would think the games that get selected for Wild Card event or their own tournament ARE "popular on their own merits".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perrianne Lurie
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I would think the games that get selected for Wild Card event or their own tournament ARE "popular on their own merits".

Not necessarily. The con com (or, more likely, the one person in charge of the Wild Card tournament for the Wild Card games) chooses the tournament games. For the main tournaments, games that had a lot of people enter last year's tournament will most likely repeat. Those that didn't get replaced by something else. I'm not sure how they choose, but it also depends upon having a willing GM available.

The Wild Card games are broken down into four different "weight" classes (mostly based upon length of play and complexity), so there's always a distribution of different types of games on the list. And they add a "hot Essen game" to the list at the last moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit reluctant to intrude in this discussion but, as one who has attended all 15 EuroQuest conventions, I will do so. Perrianne is correct that the list is top-heavy towards tournament and Wild Card games as, since not everyone brings their own copies, they are often needed (in fact, this year, for the first time I can recall at EQ, a few players were turned away from a heat because of an insufficient supply of games).

On the other hand, the list is probably not really indicative of all the games that were in play throughout the convention for two reasons: (1) it does not include sign-outs from the New Games Library, which is completely separate from the main games library, as many of those were given away as prize table games on Saturday night; and (2) it certainly does not reflect games that people brought to the convention. For example, I saw several copies of Clans of Caledonia in play as people had just received their copies via KS. Great Western Trail is another game (in this case it was part of the Wild Card after being a hot new Essen release last year) that seemed to get a lot of play and -- even though it is included in the club collection -- a lot of people brought their own copy, so maybe that's why it didn't show up on Eric's list.

Having said all that, the two games that showed up on the list (albeit near the bottom) that would be the biggest surprises to me would be Fairy Mischief and Uno, i.e., not games I have seen in play at this or prior year's EuroQuests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:
I'm a bit reluctant to intrude in this discussion but, as one who has attended all 15 EuroQuest conventions, I will do so. Perrianne is correct that the list is top-heavy towards tournament and Wild Card games as, since not everyone brings their own copies, they are often needed (in fact, this year, for the first time I can recall at EQ, a few players were turned away from a heat because of an insufficient supply of games).

On the other hand, the list is probably not really indicative of all the games that were in play throughout the convention for two reasons: (1) it does not include sign-outs from the New Games Library, which is completely separate from the main games library, as many of those were given away as prize table games on Saturday night; and (2) it certainly does not reflect games that people brought to the convention. For example, I saw several copies of Clans of Caledonia in play as people had just received their copies via KS. Great Western Trail is another game (in this case it was part of the Wild Card after being a hot new Essen release last year) that seemed to get a lot of play and -- even though it is included in the club collection -- a lot of people brought their own copy, so maybe that's why it didn't show up on Eric's list.

Having said all that, the two games that showed up on the list (albeit near the bottom) that would be the biggest surprises to me would be Fairy Mischief and Uno, i.e., not games I have seen in play at this or prior year's EuroQuests.

Yes. This list was directed towards con directors who might want to add games to their lending libraries. There were MANY more games of Terraforming Mars and Scythe getting played, for example, but fans had brought their own "pimped out" copies, and didn't borrow library copies. The UNO and Fairy Mischief surprised me, as well. Seeing the numbers, I feel I need to buy a Potion Explosion and Century Spice Road for my Congress of Gamers Library.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.