Subject: No plans for Deluxe expansion maps rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came late to the Power Grid party and bought the Deluxe version. I don’t regret my purchase and like the new art and resource upgrades. I was hoping to buy some expansion maps in the future but was concerned none had been released in the past several years. So I emailed Rio Grande. Below is the reply I received. Thought I should share for those on the fence about choosing which version to buy.

Hello Stephen,

While there are plans for more expansions to the Power Grid base game, there are no current plans for map expansions for the Deluxe version.

Thank you for your interest in Rio Grande Games.

Best regards,

Scott Tepper
Customer Service/Operations
rggscott@aol.com
Rio Grande Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in the same situation as you. What I did was buy the Power Grid: The New Power Plant Cards and expansion kit (which I believe comes with the garbage tokens and a few extra oil or coal, I don’t remember exactly). Now I can play the expansion maps.

I don’t regret it as I think Deluxe is a better game by making it a little more even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
see

Making Deluxe compatible with other expansion maps

and you may also want to xpost your base post as a reply to....

New compatible expansions?

so as to bring to closure of that thread for those who were still holding out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Aslett

Houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Tim. I was thinking of doing the same.

Three questions for you:

1) In what way do you think Deluxe evens out the game? (I’ve only played Deluxe, not regular Power Grid.)
2) Suggested expansion map for first purchase?
3) Thoughts on play differences between the Deluxe and new power plant decks? Does the game play faster/slower with one or the other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saslett wrote:
Thanks, Tim. I was thinking of doing the same.

Three questions for you:

1) In what way do you think Deluxe evens out the game? (I’ve only played Deluxe, not regular Power Grid.)
2) Suggested expansion map for first purchase?
3) Thoughts on play differences between the Deluxe and new power plant decks? Does the game play faster/slower with one or the other?

1. With the difference in the backs showing which ones are lower and their distribution earlier makes it a little more balanced in my opinion. Also I think the resources required for those cards are a little more evened out.

2. Personally, I bought the Benelux/Central Europe map first because of the nuke-free zones variation and then got the France/Italy map because I got a good price for it. I would like to get the Korea map next as it offers some difference in play because of the resource availability differences between the North and South. There is a good geek list that describes each map and the difference it brings to the game.

3. I cannot really comment because I haven’t played with the new deck enough to really notice if there is a difference or not.

Have fun. It has become one of my favorite games, even solo with the Robots. Playing against three Robots I found that generally one is very competitive, one is okay, and one really lacks behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
2. Personally, I bought the Benelux/Central Europe map first because of the nuke-free zones variation and then got the France/Italy map because I got a good price for it. I would like to get the Korea map next as it offers some difference in play because of the resource availability differences between the North and South. There is a good geek list that describes each map and the difference it brings to the game.

Those are, IMO, the best three expansions, as both sides are fun and playable.

Northern Europe, for the extra plant cards, would be my 4th choice, but I don't like the UK/Ireland map.

Quebec/Baden would be my 5th choice, they bring in some interesting tactics (map-wise on Quebec, and turn-order wise on Baden, because you don't reorder on the latter until after Auction Plants!).

Australia is fun, but I find India to be almost broken with the power outage rules -- it actually helps the player who races far ahead too much.

Brazil is good for tight resources, but the intentional wind plant stall on Spain/Portugal ruins the experience for me (18/22/27 come out as the first three plant flips in Step 2, so you'd better have a good plant before then!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.