17 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about +Luck... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I assume stats like Luck only apply in the Showdown, yes? The same for secondary wound rolls (ie. critical hit! Now roll a 10 and the monster dies instantly!)? Or would Luck count in that secondary roll as well (I’ve noticed some of the critical auto-kills say specifically roll a 10, but just wanna make sure)?

2. If +1 Luck effectively makes a 9+ a Critical in a Wound roll, does the same apply for the (Perfect) Hit roll?

3. The rules say a 1 is an auto fail (regardless of math required to succeed) and a 10 is an auto success (regardless of math)... would +1 luck make a 9+ count as an “auto-success” as well (for those impossible rolls requiring 11+)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Blumenthal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Luck improves your chance to register a Critical Wound. No more, no less. I can't speak to it's use outside the showdown, as I haven't played though everything in the game.

2. No. Otherwise there would be a rule that says so.

3. No. Auto fail 1s and auto succeed 10s only count on the to-hit roll and the regular wound roll. So:

Roll to hit. Check for auto success or failure. If neither, check for regular successful hit. If success, roll to wound. Add luck modifiers and check for 10+ result. If 10+, check card for critical hit text. If none or you rolled less than 10 with luck modifiers, check if you rolled a natural lantern or 1. If lantern, auto wound. If not lantern but not 1, add strength and toughness modifiers, compare to monster toughness. If higher than toughness, wound.

Otherwise, attack finishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Luck's most common equivalent for perfect hits is called timeless eye.

I believe if a location can be crit and can be wounded, a crit will wound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

Yes, crits also Wound, even if Toughness is not beaten by the roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fen Batten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stop Poking!
Olvenskol wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

To be absolutely clear on this, because there is subtlety in your responses which might be missed.

1. Luck only applies to the wound roll.

2. A 10 always wounds, no matter what.

3. Separately: A Critical hit only triggers on a hit location with a lantern.

Here's the example:

Quote:
Survivor with +1 Luck and Deadly (crits on an 8, 9 or 10) hits three locations. One has a lantern, two do not. The monster has 30 toughness and the survivor only has strength 3 (so he cannot wound it normally).

Lantern Location - rolls an 8, Critical Hit result is applied and a wound is scored.
Non-Lantern Location #1 - Rolls a 10. This is a wound.
Non-Lantern Location #2 - Rolls a 9. There is no lantern here, so there cannot be a critical hit. This is a failure to wound.

I hope this is clear for everyone now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
fenpaints wrote:
Olvenskol wrote:
spiralingcadaver wrote:

To be absolutely clear on this, because there is subtlety in your responses which might be missed.

1. Luck only applies to the wound roll.

2. A 10 always wounds, no matter what.

3. Separately: A Critical hit only triggers on a hit location with a lantern.

Here's the example:

Quote:
Survivor with +1 Luck and Deadly (crits on an 8, 9 or 10) hits three locations. One has a lantern, two do not. The monster has 30 toughness and the survivor only has strength 3 (so he cannot wound it normally).

Lantern Location - rolls an 8, Critical Hit result is applied and a wound is scored.
Non-Lantern Location #1 - Rolls a 10. This is a wound.
Non-Lantern Location #2 - Rolls a 9. There is no lantern here, so there cannot be a critical hit. This is a failure to wound.

I hope this is clear for everyone now.

That example actually didn't clear it up for me. If he crits on 8, 9 or 10, then he crits, so he should wound, right? Besides, the 10 he rolled on wounds is a "natural lantern".

What am I misreading/misunderstanding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crits always wound, not matter what the toughness needed, provided the Hit Location card has a critical effect. IF they overcome the toughness, they wound as normal.

The d10 number to roll a crit is 10, unless you have luck to make it lower. Monster luck raises it back towards 10 again.

Lantern rolls only matter for unmodified crits and Perfect Hits.

Phone edits - for this crap iphone...we haates it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Shuvaev
Russia
St.Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DegenerateElite wrote:
Crits always wound, no matter what the toughness needed, provided the Hit Location card has a critical effect.

Unless it is Impervious :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sum
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_citizen wrote:

That example actually didn't clear it up for me. If he crits on 8, 9 or 10, then he crits, so he should wound, right? Besides, the 10 he rolled on wounds is a "natural lantern".

What am I misreading/misunderstanding?

When he says "lantern location", he means the hit card has a critical wound (it has a picture of a lantern above the critical), which is somewhat confusing since you may also refer to a roll of 10 as a lantern. You cannot perform a critical wound if the card does not have a critical wound listed, I think this is what you are missing.

Non-Lantern Location #1 cannot be a critical wound, but a roll of 10 always wounds, so there is a wound.
Non-Lantern Location #2 cannot be a critical wound, and since the roll was not 10 and there is no way to overcome the 30 toughness, there is no wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the “crits always wound” is a bit of a shorthand. If a HL does not have a critical hit portion to the card, it CAN’T be crit even with a million luck. Some monsters have exceedingly few “critable” locations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The point that I'd like to verify is that a critical wound on a card with a critical (lantern) section always wounds.

Here are the things of which I am certain. A lantern 10 always wounds, regardless of toughness. A critical occurs on 10 minus luck (and modifiers), which can be 11 or greater if luck is negative. A critical only occurs if there exists the critical wound (lantern) section on the lower part of the card.

My original assumption was that you had to wound before you could critically wound. Expanding on Fen's example of a monster with 30 toughness. I attack with Fist-o-teeth and roll a 9. I would not wound normally, as I'm way below the strength.

HOWEVER, I do actually wound, because Deadly causes me to critically wound, which implies a normal wound.

OR, I do not critically wound, because I did not normally wound.

These, I see as the two options. Please let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
navaccaro wrote:
The point that I'd like to verify is that a critical wound on a card with a critical (lantern) section always wounds.

Yes. Even if you do not meet the Toughness requirement.

In your case, 30 Toughness vs Fist & Tooth rolling a 9, a wound happens assuming the Hit Location drawn has a critical section.

Edit: From the Glossary

Critical Wound: Critical wounds are lucky blows that always wound a monster, even if the wound attempt does not exceed the monsters toughness. A critical wound occurs when a wound roll result is a Lantern 10 on a hit location with a critical wound effect. The luck attribute modifies the roll needed for a critical wound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vaccaro
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect. Thanks much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pauljima wrote:
1. I assume stats like Luck only apply in the Showdown, yes? The same for secondary wound rolls (ie. critical hit! Now roll a 10 and the monster dies instantly!)? Or would Luck count in that secondary roll as well (I’ve noticed some of the critical auto-kills say specifically roll a 10, but just wanna make sure)?

2. If +1 Luck effectively makes a 9+ a Critical in a Wound roll, does the same apply for the (Perfect) Hit roll?

3. The rules say a 1 is an auto fail (regardless of math required to succeed) and a 10 is an auto success (regardless of math)... would +1 luck make a 9+ count as an “auto-success” as well (for those impossible rolls requiring 11+)?

worth noting that a critical wound is not an automatic wound.

What this means is if you have +1 luck and you rolled a 9 but the HL had no critical wound on it, then you would still have to wound as normal by checking your roll +str vs monster's toughness. Only a lantern 10 is a wound provided the hit location isnt impervious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
aidden wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:
Crits always wound, no matter what the toughness needed, provided the Hit Location card has a critical effect.

Unless it is Impervious

Yea, I'm not sure this statement is correct. In the glossary, critical hits always wound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sams
msg tools
mbmb
Olvenskol wrote:
aidden wrote:
DegenerateElite wrote:

Unless it is Impervious

Yea, I'm not sure this statement is correct. In the glossary, critical hits always wound.

aidden is correct. If a hit location is "Impervious", it cannot be wounded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Impervious locations cannot be wounded. Usually, critting an impervious location will be you something special (see shimmering mane in the core game), but that's all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.