United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
This is a great game. No doubt.

I previously owned the 3rd edition. I like the new box size. I like the cover art by Vincent Dutrait (I really wish he would have been contracted to redo the character art -- at least the female character art and both versions of the cook). I like the wooden discs instead of plastic cubes.

But the component quality in this edition is inferior. For many this is a nitpick, I know. But it's noticeable.

It might seem great that food is shaped like actual bananas and toast and fur and wood are sculpted instead of cubes. But they are not that great, really. They are composite wood, seemingly, with a thin coat of paint. I prefer the old, real wood cube style.

The dice are much lighter (not as dense) and they have a "plastic" sheen. The previous edition dice had a nice heft to them and were not so glossy looking.

The cardboard used for the tokens is much thinner. It does not punch as cleanly. Not even close. This is perhaps the most significant component quality difference.

The insert is not as nice. It's an insert, though, so who really cares?
Just an observation.

Again, it's a great game. Just a few observations and disappointments about component quality. Frivolous? Yes. Hair-splitting? Yes! But that's my two cents. It's a very unique and fun game. Still worth owning. I just wish the component quality had not been downgraded.

I recommend if you have the space for the larger box just to get the 3rd edition. Better quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 4th edition component quality
I can't compare to the previous edition but I will say I ended up with some shaggy tokens I'm going to have to clean up with an Xacto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Nyoto
Indonesia
Iowa
flag msg tools
The cards quality is below Arkham Horror TCG. Feels thin and cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dazzmo
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alex, would you mind to take a picture of the tokens and dice? I am considering to exchange my German Pegasus edition with the 4th English one, but after your post I am not sure if that´s a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
Dazzmo wrote:
Alex, would you mind to take a picture of the tokens and dice? I am considering to exchange my German Pegasus edition with the 4th English one, but after your post I am not sure if that´s a good idea.

Sure, here you go. I would recommend sticking with your version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
E pluribus unum
badge
mb
ericknyoto wrote:
The cards quality is below Arkham Horror TCG. Feels thin and cheap.

Yes, they are definitely thinner in this edition. I sleeved mine in premium sleeves. If I didn't then the card thickness would make my list of nitpicks about quality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.