Subject: Wanted for testing: Solo Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quined Games
Netherlands
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmb
We have been working on a single player experience for Agra, now that the game is in your hands we would like to ask you to help us develop / finetune this version.

Mike Keller has been experimenting with Solo play rules for some time now. The game significantly changes to the fact that you will play with 2 different colours.

If you are interessted in testing these solo rules please send a pm to us with your email address in it and we'll send you the printable material and rules for the solo variant.

Cheers!

Please keep the discussions about the rules, changes and bugfixes in this thread so we can review this and prevent double posts. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will share my experiences so far:
Since there is no other player it is more like solving a puzzle to receive the most Rupees in the amount of turns you have.
The hard thing about it: Buildings get built, Notables and Orders get delivered over the course of the game. Since there are several game end conditions, you can try to get some more time, but this is limited.
The easy thing about it: You can plan several turns ahead, since it's only you playing with 2 colors.

Just give it a go and have fun with it...

I'am curious about your experiences cool

Greets,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm:

I get 2 Favours if the second color visits the Merchant, correct?

The Ornament is the Statue secondary action, correct?

When a color is kicked out and placed on the right of the first empty row, does this trigger the event on that empty row at the end of the turn? Does that mean 2 events could take place on the same turn, one at the start of the action phase and one at the end of the turn?

For Notables and Demands, I should not roll the die but instead just look at what the die shows and apply that number of pips. The die is only rolled for Merchant or Builder. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also to confirm:

When a Notable is removed, it is not considered as fulfilled, correct? Does the game end if 2 level I Notables are removed since the Boat cannot move?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really confused by this sentence here, the translation to English is a bit weird.

Quote:
"In the Action Phase, the Solo-player always take a worker from the most left space EXCEPT he want to use the Peon (then he just sets up the worker on the appropriat Action space) and place it on an Action"

Action space on the main board or the Solo-Player board? I didn't get this.

So if I decided to take a PEON action, why would I want to move my worker to another action space? The PEON is for using the same action space again, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action space on the main board as the Solo board only has events.

My understanding is that if you take a PEON action you do not remove a worker from the Solo board, otherwise you do remove the worker and place it on an Action space. Which means the wording should be slightly changed to:

Quote:
In the Action Phase, the Solo-player always take a worker from the most left space (EXCEPT he want to use the Peon, then he just sets up the worker on the appropriat Action space) and place it on an Action
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarifications
I will try to make a summary of carifications. I will just add or change rules, as it's necessary. If you have questions, i will try to answer them here with a clarification of certain rules.
To show that i wrote an answer here, i mark the reply with a thumbsup :

Setup:
Here is a image of the setup, if you play with the Teal markers and mangenta as the 2. color:

Rules:
- You roll the die after you visit the merchant or the builder, but also after a notable/order get fulfilled.
- If you are allowed to put up workers, this can be any of the two colors (either by Oil&Curry, Painter, Books, Favour action, Notable).
- Peon: To use the Peon it has to be the worker of the ACTIVE color (if my turn is with teal, i can activate a teal worker with the Peon effect).

Final scoring:

There are just these 3 factors where you get Rupees at the end of the game (you don't get rupees for the orders):
- For every Notable marked „Game End“, the players receive Rupees according to the Contract.
- Every player whose glass token on the Meditation track reached the last space receives 5 Rupees.
- Every player receives 1 Rupee per removed Cover tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@alkendi

alkendi wrote:
I get 2 Favours if the second color visits the Merchant, correct?

- You get favour what ever color you visit the merchant.

- Ornament = Statue
alkendi wrote:
When a color is kicked out and placed on the right of the first empty row, does this trigger the event on that empty row at the end of the turn? Does that mean 2 events could take place on the same turn, one at the start of the action phase and one at the end of the turn?

- Yes, it can happen, that 2 events occur in the same turn. Since the "bunch" of workers slowly moves to the right, please be aware that the events with the arrrow "up" only trigger, if a worker gets placed (not if a worker gets removed).
alkendi wrote:
For Notables and Demands, I should not roll the die but instead just look at what the die shows and apply that number of pips. The die is only rolled for Merchant or Builder. Correct?

- The die also get rolled after a notable/order get fulfilled.

- removed = fulfilled

alkendi wrote:
In the Action Phase, the Solo-player always take a worker from the most left space (EXCEPT he want to use the Peon, then he just sets up the worker on the appropriat Action space) and place it on an Action.

- Peon: Yes, thanks alkendi...like this it makes much more sense

Have fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freakgeims wrote:
Setup:
Here is a image of the setup, if you play with the Teal markers and mangenta as the 2. color:

Oops, I misunderstood the rules and had a different Setup but the mechanism is still the same

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm:

The Painter Notable allows me to raise up 3 of my workers, from any of the two colors?

If I use Peon, it has to be for the active color, correct?

Edit: removed example to avoid confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the final scoring only what's written in the Solo rules or in addition to the main rules? Because the Solo rules does not mention getting Rupees for the Influence track in the final scoring.

ps: my previous example was wrong, I will edit it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik Sirges
Germany
Schalksmühle
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be 100% sure:
I should use only the workers from the secondary color, right?

I play with only one player board, right?

When i receive goods from secondary color workers i still only use the primary color markers right?

Quote:
Always when you build a building you don't place a worker on it.

Does that mean a cannot process three goods or may i do that anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
irsirius wrote:
Just to be 100% sure:
I should use only the workers from the secondary color, right?

You should use workers from both colors as placed on the Solo board (check the illustration above)

irsirius wrote:
I play with only one player board, right?

Yes.

irsirius wrote:
When i receive goods from secondary color workers i still only use the primary color markers right?

Yes.

irsirius wrote:
Quote:
Always when you build a building you don't place a worker on it.

Does that mean a cannot process three goods or may i do that anyway?

Good question, I played it as you could process as I see the rules trying to prevent using 2 of the same color consequatively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After build a building, you don't place a worker, but you process goods as normal. So you just use 1 worker if you use the architect to build a building. This is important, because if you remove workers from the solo-tile, events gets triggered...and you don't want to trigger them to often.
If you wanna use the building later on to process goods, just place a worker as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished my first game yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

One thing I noticed I could take advantage of was using Peon. This way makes it possible to not remove a worker from the Solo board as long as the Peon worker and the active worker have the same color. This allowed me, with strategic placement of workers, to use Peon to produce Goods and next turn use Peon to trade. At the end of the turn I simply deliver, no need to use worker from Solo board. Repeating this is very powerful IMO, especially if you have Notable abilities e.g. French Trader, English Trader, Khatib, Mahout...etc.

The nice thing also, is that the Solo game itself was very enjoyable and losing the game wouldn't matter that much (I got 75 Rupees). But obviously if you keep in mind that you want to beat your previous score then you might think of better ways to build your system from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@ Alkendi

Ok, this is a good sign that you enjoyed it

Peon: Even if you pay 2 Rupees each time, you think you will make more rupees with this "strategic placments" of workers? Would you like to test this extremly?
If it works out to strong, we have to limit the usage of the Peon effect or make it more expensive.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least near the end was very strong because my influence marker was high enough to make profit. Yes I spend 2 Rupees for 1 Peon and I need 2 Peons to get the needed Goods which means it costs 4 Rupees but then I can probably make 6 or 7 Rupees from delivering to the Guild Order. However, this is also limited because you do not want to reach 6 markers on the Guild Order track so that you don't end the game. So you will deliver to Notables and that can be done by having the same color worker there and again use Peon to deliver but you get money back.

Not powerful in beginning maybe, but later I felt it was powerful because I avoid triggering events.
Say you have Teal as main color and Yellow as secondary color. You can form a team of Teal workers on Wood and Sandstone production, and Architect. The Yellow team of workers on Turmeric and Cotton production, Sailor, and Trader. Then by only using Peon, you could use 1 of the teams to do many actions without removing a worker from the Solo board.

One thing I forgot to mention, since I can see which event will take place next and calculate from the pips which Notable/Delivery will take place, I can deliberately go to the Merchant or Builder to do the action of the space but also to roll the die which hopefully gives me a better option than previous die. I wouldn't recommend this unless you desperately want to change the die pip number and that also is a risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abdulla AlKendi
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have to pause my games for now as I am preparing for my PhD defence in 2-3 weeks. If I finish my work preparations early then I could play it again and test the Peon in Solo variant. I can't wait to play it again Solo, it's a nice working variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keller
Switzerland
Rüderswil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hei All.

The Solo Variant would need some more playtesting. So if anyone would like to get the rules and give it a try, just send a message to Quined games, as posted furter above in this thread.

As Alkendi mentioned, there is a possibility of a strong Peon strategy (see posts furter up). If someone would like to play this strategy as "hard" as possible and give me feedback, i would really appreciate laugh

I also added some rules on the Rules post further up...
If you wanna play the "newest" version of the solo game, stick with this post.

And now, i wish all of you a good week and happy playing meeple

Greets,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Govind Krishna
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Planning to give it a shot this weekend. Meanwhile, Mike/Quined Games would really appreciate a better English translated version of the solo rules.
Regards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Melo
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Little off topic but what metal coins would be ideal with this game? Trying to get a friend to bring me some coins from India but wondering if there were coins made for this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.