Subject: Hardest Boss to solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruslan Nechay
Russia
Tyumen
flag msg tools
mbmb
So there's this game - One Deck Dungeon. I set it up at about 7PM and after some number of dungeon runs - whoa! it's almost 2AM! I don't remember when was the last time a VIDEOgame would do this to me..
I've played it exclusively solo so far, ran through Dragon, Yeti, Hydra and Minotaur.

After getting stuck at Hydra for quite some time I'd found out that I got some rules wrong, so I went back and replayed Dragon and Yeti again - they are still manageable, even when I don't make a heroic die with the highest! value of the two discarded (made it sooo much easier). I've managed to get through the Minotaur in under 5 runs and I haven't touched Lich or Phoenix yet.

I've mostly created this topic to see if anyone else also thinks Hydra is the toughest boss/dungeon of the above-mentioned four? Her 1st floor ability ensures that you won't have much time to level up, dungeon is extremely unfriendly to any character not having at least 2 Agility from the get-go and 3rd level downgrade to heroic dice is very annoying. The boss itself also requires a bunch of yellow/magenta dice and will kill you in 2 attacks, period.

I don't know what is it about this Hydra reef dungeon, that makes it so difficult, but I've won it only once, with a Rogue, and not before I've run through it like 50 times (I'm not kidding).

From my suicidal runs into Hydra's dungeon I've come out with a feeling that Archer was by far the weakest character, played her against Yeti and Dragon and didn't like her either, but at Reef her ability combined with dungeon's ability makes you burn through the deck at breakneck pace or suffer waaay more than 1 damage, that she can prevent by kiting.

I like Rogue the best so far, with Paladin or Warrior second and third. But anyway - what do you think the toughest Boss/Dungeon is and why?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D.
United States
flag msg tools
Sola Fide.
badge
Remembering the men of the USS Frank E. Evans.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post! I'm currently running the campaign, and was dreading the Hydra, because I'd heard so much about how tough a battle it would be. When I got there, I had two potions left, the right skills and rolls, and steamrolled right over it!

For me, the Minotaur is proving the toughest yet. I'm going to make my third attempt later today (hopefully). I've also read elsewhere in these forums that the dragon is the hardest. Honestly, so much of it depends on final skills and items (and, of course, dice rolls), that I think a case can be made for any of them. The most consistently difficult* battle I've had has been the Phantom, even though he's not a boss. Depending on what dungeon he's in, he can destroy me (and my game) pretty quickly.

*EDIT: I forgot the word "difficult." D'oh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Garvens
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
OW!
badge
Suuuuuuuperrrrr!
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as dungeons go, I think the hydra's dungeon is the hardest, it just keeps getting more and more brutal. It's actually kind of a relief to make it to the boss. That said, once my girlfriend and I fell down the stairs half-dead into the hydra's lair we were able to put it down pretty easily.

The hardest boss in my opinion is the lich. We found it really difficult to both limit the damage he dealt to us and try injure him, especially since you have to try to fill the damage boxes twice to actually land a hit.

Of course this has a lot to do with what classes you are playing too. We were playing with myself as a rogue and with my girlfriend as a warrior, we often struggled to use our abilities to try to fill the magic box every turn to avoid taking massive damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
This thread is an awesome idea. I would very much appreciate if people would mention

[ ] game rule version (1.6?)
[ ] character or class (1p?)
[ ] character level
[ ] boss (minotaur?)
[ ] build (top-to-bottom: how many swords/blue/pink/health)
[ ] items/skills when entering boss (the stuff shoved below the character)
[ ] perks from campaign (combat, focused etc)
[ ] potions not yet quaffed

That way I could plan ahead, if you see what i mean ;-)
I beat the game only once, the easiest monster with a paladin (1p, lvl 4, no perks) that walked over the boss, but that was version 1.4 or earlier.

Also the forest of shadows promises to be even harder, I backed it but don't know if I would like to have my butt kicked even harder. I find the game super hard as-it-is, but that may be due to my limited intelligence, ymmv.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruslan Nechay
Russia
Tyumen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, I just took down Hydra for the second time and here are my hero's stats

V 1.5

Warrior lvl 3

STR 7
AGI 3
WIS 2
HP 8

Cleave - 1STR - Increase up to 4 dice by 1
Backstab - 1AGI - Roll 2STR dice
Crushing Fist - 6 Mana - Gain 2 6STR dice
Crushing Blow - 1STR - Gain 1 6STR die

I always play skirmish, so now campaign bonuses or any other modifiers. I came to boss at 6/8 HP and three potions untouched. First roll was above average and I managed to deal Hydra 3 damage, while only taking 4 in return. Next turn I used 2 potions to heal up to full HP and rolled a very poor roll with a bunch of 1s, 2s and some decent dice, notably 6 and 4 AGI, which was a big help. I decided to flat out ignore the non-boss boxes and managed to deal Hydra another 3 damage while taking 6 back.

Takeaways:

Warrior is better than I was giving her credit for, her passive healing ability is almost like a free Healing potion per level. Her heroic feat is on par with Rogue's and might even be better, since Warrior has more HP and doesn't lose time when using Heroic feat.

Crushing Fist and Chaotic Aura skills are often instrumental to winning the dungeon - I will literally jump on any monster/peril which can give me one of these skills, as long as I can likely survive the encounter.

I came to appreciate the small "spend 1STR die to gain 1 6STR die" skill - It seems weak on paper but turning 1STR into 6STR is often 1HP and/or some time saved, which adds up throughout the dungeon, especially with Warrior who often has some low-STR dice lying around.

I almost never use any potions other than Healing, because most of the time healing 3 damage after the encounter helps just as much as saving 3 HP during the encounter using any other potion, I am especially wary of the ones that let you re-roll, as you can get the same poor results again.

I can't overstate enough how important it is to choose your fights, in my Warrior run I fled from a few high AGI/Magic perils in the first few rounds, then ran into a Bandit which I knew I would take some damage against, but nothing I couldn't handle. I took 2 damage in the end, gained 2 Heroic dice and a +1AGI, which I proceeded to use going back to the traps that I had avoided earlier. I cleared both taking only 1 more damage and gaining some skills and HP on the way. I could've cleared them straight up, taking more damage, but then I would likely lose to some bad roll further down the road.

I love how this game balances risk/reward conditions brilliantly where often 1 extra damage taken mid-dungeon could mean you die on the next level. It often takes some mental discipline not to jump on some monster just because you "kinda" can kill it. Believe it or not, playing it gave me a similar to Dark Souls feel, which I would never expect to find in a tiny card game. Hats off to the designers for this big game in a small box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruslan Nechay
Russia
Tyumen
flag msg tools
mbmb
Beaten Minotaur few times in a row and I must say he's much much easier to deal with, than Hydra, even though the difficulty level says otherwise.

I've beaten him with Warrior once and few other times with a Rogue. Cleave is super good against him, as the dungeon requires a lot of low dice on the first two levels and Cleave allows you to turn those useless magenta 1s and yellow 2s into meaningful stuff.

My last run with a Rogue was especially successful, here are the stats:

V 1.5

Rogue lvl 4

STR 5
AGI 5
WIS 2
HP 6

VALOR - roll heroic die for free.
CLEAVE - spend 1STR to increase up to 4 dice by 1.
DODGE - 1AGI - prevent 1DMG in dungeon or 2DMG against the boss.
CRUSHING FIST - spend 6 mana to get 2 6STR dice.

I killed Minotaur in 2 hits without taking any damage, my rolls were pretty average, 3 heroic dice from max lvl and Valor + Cleave tweaking some numbers + Crushing Fist eating heroic dice which I created from excess agility dice + Dodge to shore up the one box I couldn't fill every time.

Observations:

Rogue's heroic feat gets better as the difficulty of the dungeon goes up. Losing 1HP and 3TIME is much easier to handle than the stuff that happens if you skip on your heroic feat and fail check/roll poorly in encounter, at lower dungeon levels it's almost a necessity, but the reward is much higher than the risk. Now if you would lose the dice if your rolled 1, that would be another story. As it is Rogue's heroic ability is quite stellar.

It's funny how I didn't think much of Cleave while trying to beat Hydra, but came to appreciate it in the Maze, feels good to notice these little things along the way.

Dodge is the ability that I value pretty low, but you really want to pick it up somewhere close to boss's lair, as it can give you breathing room for one more strike.

I'd really love to hear what people think about the Archer - is there a dungeon where she's particularly good? I lost interest in her while assaulting Hydra's lair, which she's terrible at, and her heroic feat still seems like the worst of the bunch to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica James
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
kosterix wrote:

Also the forest of shadows promises to be even harder, I backed it but don't know if I would like to have my butt kicked even harder. I find the game super hard as-it-is, but that may be due to my limited intelligence, ymmv.
Thanks!

Bit of a tangent but, I'm starting to play the print and play of the expansion. I think the hardest part is that the cure potion only cures one heart or one poison, no more stacking 3 hearts and wiping them all off with one potion ><.

On the other hand, cure is activated whenever you gain a potion too. (level up or identify a new one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.