Subject: The spice-bag: why does it exist? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if the spice-bag is part of the game-design? That is: is it a deliberate game-design choice to "hide" the available spices in a bag, to make it more time-consuming to check which spices are available?

Or is it a production-choice, and I can just as well keep the currently available spices on the cupboard depicted just next to the spice area on the game board? (Or in a cup, or whatever I happen to prefer?)

(And yes, I know it's a boardgame, and I can do whatever I want with it without asking permission, but I'm asking because I want to know what the designers intended.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a design to make it slightly harder to know which spices you have.
The information is still open but once in your 4 minute worker placement time it will slow you down a bit if you need to check it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:
It's a design to make it slightly harder to know which spices you have.
The information is still open but once in your 4 minute worker placement time it will slow you down a bit if you need to check it a lot.

Do you have a source for this, or is it speculation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
I'm wondering if the spice-bag is part of the game-design? That is: is it a deliberate game-design choice to "hide" the available spices in a bag, to make it more time-consuming to check which spices are available?
Yes.

My original rules were a lot more evil. But the current one has a good balance between hiding the information but not being frustrating, so yes, this is how I envisioned playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Yes.

My original rules were a lot more evil. But the current one has a good balance between hiding the information but not being frustrating, so yes, this is how I envisioned playing.

Thanks! Then I know I should indeed use it

I'm hoping to get my first play of the game tonight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Schlepper
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Yes.

Just out of curiosity, what was the original design with regards to spices?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fonzerelli wrote:
TDaver wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Yes.

Pull 3 place at least one, optionally repeat as much you want. One extra white cube was ok to serve. Luckily artipia streamlined out my madness whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TDaver wrote:
Fonzerelli wrote:
TDaver wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Yes.

Pull 3 place at least one, optionally repeat as much you want. One extra white cube was ok to serve. Luckily artipia streamlined out my madness whistle

Oh, wow… yeah, that doesn't sound fun at all actually… Thanks Artipia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a thematic choice as you have to search for the spices you need in the bag. Just like in real life, where you usually seem to have to search for the spices you need in your spice cabinet. I think they even mentioned that in the BGG Essen video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geobaldi5 wrote:
It's a thematic choice as you have to search for the spices you need in the bag. Just like in real life, where you usually seem to have to search for the spices you need in your spice cabinet. I think they even mentioned that in the BGG Essen video.

Yes they did. But that was uploaded yesterday, and I asked the question a month ago
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
geobaldi5 wrote:

Yes they did. But that was uploaded yesterday, and I asked the question a month ago

Doh!! Yes you did. I failed to even look at the original post date
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.