Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Captain PB
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked this game up used at Castle Con in Oshawa for $2. And I am quite happy with it.

I think it is a disservice to compare this game to Rumis or some of the Kramer building games (though I see the point in the scoring through product). It's less a building game and more a game of efficiency and clever management of your resource in the track on the side. Calling this a building game is like calling Reef Encounter a tile laying game. At first glance one could look and say it's a building game. I think it's much more.

Perhaps much of this is due to the horrific rule book. If you watch the left hand review you can get a good handle on the building rules.

The board is a square with rows and corner spaces. On your turn you role a die which determines the 2 rows that you can build in. I never felt like I was hamstrung by the random rolling because you can mitigate the roles with your points on the side track (next paragraph). You place a block in one of the rows, and you may place a platform following the rules. You score money from the product of the height and the surface area of the platforms.

The most important part of the game in my mind is the track on the side. You start at 5, but can go down to zero and up to 9. If you get to 9 you get $9, which seems to be a strategy in and of itself (the most valuable building I've seen was $20). But then you have 0 and you may be vulnerable to other people's screwage for awhile. If you want to build on other people's platforms you spend a point on that track per level of building which is added to their total. So on a low level it's not a big deal, but on level 4 it can be a big swing. And if you spend a point from the track you can move an extra space on the track to mitigate your role. Sometimes the best move is spending one point to move into a corner to get an overall increase of 2.

There is a lot of room for screwage by building in a spaces that look obvious for a larger shape to be built in by your opponent. I don't think you can build directly on someone else's block but you can build directly on their platform. And if they complete something large you probably have first dibs on building higher. There is a good deal of decisions about whether you want to build high in order to score a lot of points early or build and score gradually. If you build high your opponent can probably score higher on your work, so what do you do? Once there is one high area game play becomes very focused on fighting for that spot.

I've only played this 2 player, and I'm not sure I'd want to play any other way. With a 2 player game the board is quite controllable. For me and my wife it was a great match. I'm not sure my kids can play without clunking it over. That being said, I think the blocks interlock nicely to the point that I don't believe it's bound to tip over. We've not had an issue yet, anyways.

As I said, for the $2 I paid this will get many plays. Even if you lose you had fun building a neat castle and jostling with your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is fine with two players, but I strongly recommend trying it with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Frost

Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes, fun game. My GF and I enjoy it. I bought mine for $5 a few years back.

Only thing I didn't like was the rule book. I thought there were a few sections that would've benefitted greatly from more and better examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain PB
Canada
Georgetown
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll give it a go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.