Pandemic Legacy: Season 2» Forums » General

Subject: Reader Responsibility for Spoilers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zoe M
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
I wear my Halloween costume all year round!
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've written session reports for the months that we've played so far. They have the month name in the title.

Is there any way (other than GeekMod) for someone to see the content of those session reports without deliberately clicking through to the post?

And should someone who deliberately chooses to read a session report for April expect to see April spoilers there?

Basically, what role does the reader have in avoiding spoilers for themselves? I know I'm personally making sure not to read any threads referring to months that I don't want to know about. (I'm actually adding a three-month buffer since events don't necessarily happen in specific months——e.g., since I just finished June, I'll read threads with discussions up to March.)

Is there a reasonable expectation that people should be able to read session reports of months that they haven't played without encountering any spoilers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Black
United States
Waynesboro
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know there is some content that can be spoiled out of order... so I might do something in February that you don't get to until July. Those tend to be smaller, but still might be spoilerish.

Really, if someone is poking around session reports, they can't get too mad if they run into some of the smaller spoilers and should be able to identify any potential big spoilers before they get too deep into the content to be spoiled (ex. seeing a picture of a reconned location, you can quickly scroll away or hit the back button)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:
So, I've written session reports for the months that we've played so far. They have the month name in the title.

Is there any way (other than GeekMod) for someone to see the content of those session reports without deliberately clicking through to the post?

And should someone who deliberately chooses to read a session report for April expect to see April spoilers there?

Basically, what role does the reader have in avoiding spoilers for themselves? I know I'm personally making sure not to read any threads referring to months that I don't want to know about. (I'm actually adding a three-month buffer since events don't necessarily happen in specific months——e.g., since I just finished June, I'll read threads with discussions up to March.)

Is there a reasonable expectation that people should be able to read session reports of months that they haven't played without encountering any spoilers?

Not sure about anyone else, but I review all of my subscriptions anyway before going through them. If a title looks at all suspicious I just mark it as read, and I just hope titles don't give away too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaya John
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for bringing this up.

Compared to Season 1, Season 2 has more non-linear elements, including when Recons and other actions take place. So months are no longer a sure guideline as to when discoveries take place. (This was also true in Season 1, I know, but it was to a lesser extent.)

So someone might naively think "I've played March, I can read this March session report" and then learn of a Recon they haven't done yet.

I'd agree that once someone has played some of Season 2, they should know to avoid reading session reports if they want to avoid all spoilers. More generally, if you go on forums or the internet at all to read about Season 2, you take a certain chance on getting spoiled. People don't always title their posts as carefully or accurately as they might. So yes, if readers want to be utterly safe, they should avoid the forums altogether...

On the other hand, you might be able to help folk along -- who haven't yet realised how non-linear Season 2 is -- by also adding text such as "spoilers for Package X" or "Spoilers for recon from Cairo" to your session reports -- if you want to.

Of course there may come a point where adding "Spoilers for Y" to a title also spoils that there is a Y in the game, so I'd be tempted to add something like "spoilers for whole season" just to ward people off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would personally avoid all spoilers, and if you cannot at least put them into spoiler tags, so readers can choose whether to view them or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunyazad wrote:

Searches (whether BGG or <InsertSearchEngineOfChoice>) don't see inside spoiler tags, but untagged content might get picked up and spoiled in search content previews. Probably a lower risk for articles posted in the Sessions forum, but the "wrong" search term might just come up trumps.

Personally I think you should tag everything that is a "reveal". But you'll probably forget something and leave it untagged. Probably best to place the entire report in tags with a non-tagged explanation that there are no "sub-tags" and that non-linear content reveals may be spoiled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
I would personally avoid all spoilers, and if you cannot at least put them into spoiler tags, so readers can choose whether to view them or not.

I disagree with this. I've seen some threads turn into all spoiler tags and it's very annoying. The thread title should be sufficient.

The Seafall (another non-linear legacy game) threads dealt with this by only referencing unlock packages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaya John
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
One more input:

In the "old" view of forums, it was more obvious when you were clicking a session report, because you had to specifically click on the Sessions sub-forum (or subscribe) to read session reports.

In the "new" view of forums, which is linked from the main game page, the posts from all the sub-forums are blended together. The sub-forum forum name appears below the post subject in smaller text.

I think for people using the "new" view, there's a chance they overlook which posts are session reports, then get surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent point jayajohn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.