Hide
6 Posts

The U.S. Civil War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Action Cycle - Action Phases. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Pruitt
msg tools
"Each turn of The U.S. Civil War has an Action Cycle composed of 4 Action Phases. At the start of each Action Phase both players roll a 6-sided die and compare the results. The player who rolled the higher number goes first in that Action Phase. The difference between the two rolls determines how many Action Points the players receive for that Action Phase. Record this difference on the Dice Differential Track with the appropriate marker."

I think I just figured this out; I may have been a little dense.

When the instructions refer to 4 action phases, they mean roll the initiative dice 4 times determining action points for 4 different phases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, but you don't roll them all at the same time. Each player rolls for the first phase, and then they play that phase. Then they roll for the second phase and play that phase, etc. So you never know ahead of time who is going to have the initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Pruitt
msg tools
Thanks. I don't do much war gaming and I found this description confusing. I kept on looking for a description or list of the 4 different phases. Lol. I must have read this 10 times before thought I understood what I meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not dense. I play wargames and initially found this confusing too.

It seems to me that the rules were written with the assumption (whether intentional or unintentional) that those playing and reading the rules have played similar games before. I had never played a strategic ACW game before this one and found the learning curve much steeper than I believed it would be.

Persevere, this is a great game and well worth the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffreyP61 wrote:
Thanks. I don't do much war gaming and I found this description confusing. I kept on looking for a description or list of the 4 different phases. Lol. I must have read this 10 times before thought I understood what I meant.

I can see how you might have been thinking 4 different phases with 4 different things to do in each one.

Once you understand it, it's one of the best parts of the game and something that makes each game different. Either side can have the initiative each phase, and each phase can have 2-5 Action Points. How that all plays out really influences how the game goes. For example, in my current game as the Union, I've had the initiative a lot of the time, but often with only 2 APs. It's hard to launch a big coordinated offensive without more APs. So I'm picking away at the CSA, waiting for my moment, hoping I'm still in shape to attack when I get my chance. (On the other hand, I haven't been forced into "On to Richmond" attacks that I wasn't ready to make.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

This rule comes from Victory Games Civil War.

The rules writer may have unintentionally assumed readers would be familiar with it.

But I love being able to ask a question here and get an answer so quickly. No self addressed stamped envelope needed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.