1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Sorcerer» Forums » General

Subject: So not into this... (edited) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of combining a character deck with a lineage deck with a location deck. The mechanics seem really cool.

That's where it ends for me.

The art is all dark, gross, and generally miserable (I get that it's about war, etc, but it's still a game).

Plus, one female character out of eight?

Sigh...

In case it matters, I am a 43 year old straight male who happens to have an appreciation for equality and thinks it's pretty obvious why more girls and women don't play games.

Is this the same company that made two-sided (male and female) character cards for Hero Realms?

Edit: It's not 8 characters, it's 6 so far. However, the one female character is actually a thrall to an ancient "master" so it's a sausage-fest after all. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Debbie Moynihan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: So not into this...
I'm a woman that works at the company and I love love love the art in this game. There are so many gorgeous pieces of art in this game. The theme isn't for everyone, and if it isn't for you, I hope you can still enjoy playing Hero Realms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I love the darkness of the art. It's a nice departure from cartoony, sticky-sweet, stuff. It would be nice to have more female characters, though. Double-sided seems like the obvious way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP.

Not to be "prudish", but this choice of artwork and theme will lose them a lot of sales, my own included. For example, I can't see Tom Vasel liking this. "Dark" doesn't mean it has to be grotesque, deformed and indecent. So it's a no-go for me and perhaps others of various faiths in this regard first.

And then there are the scantily clad females again ...

All this talk out there about how horrible it is for us to objectify women, and yet this continues to be a predominant theme in board games. Sex sells - I get that part, but are guys buying board games for this reason? It's just, for me personally, it seems like a double-standard.

And again, just from a marketing standpoint, I don't get it. And I played D&D in High School and enjoy fantasy games - still loving Gloomhaven right now after about 50 scenarios. I would SO be interested in this game if it weren't for the "darkness" of it all...

Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Scholtz
Slovakia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Dear ZUR13L,thank you very much for your feedback. As a writer and creator of the game i created mostly monstrosities as you can see. I am very careful to design ladies in such interpretation. Sure they will be in future, but i need to be sure that the concept is carefully interpreted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
For example, I can't see Tom Vasel liking this.

And then there are the scantily clad females again ...

Well, he also doesn't like Chaos in the Old World for a similar reason - his opinion doesn't stop it from being an amazing game.

And to your second point...shake...I went through the whole KSer page and saw MAYBE two instances of what you're talking about - 1.) Crone's Puppet, well she's a puppet. That's the idea. Personally, I think she looks wicked. 2.) Council of Three - which to me is a stretch.

It's ok to not like something because it isn't in your aesthetic wheelhouse, but not everything is immediately offensive, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well, he also doesn't like Chaos in the Old World for a similar reason - his opinion doesn't stop it from being an amazing game.

If one goes only by video reviewers, then one is going to miss out on a lot of good games.

Too bad for them, I guess.

As for the 1 female character, I bought the game One Deck Dungeon and really dig it. I never thought about the fact that it has all female characters until an acquaintance (I would not call him a friend, LOL), who fancies himself a brave SJW (though, like most, he lives in his parents' basement) pointed it out to me.

I guess it's great to have 1st World problems like the sex of game characters, eh?

Quote:
It's ok to not like something because it isn't in your aesthetic wheelhouse, but not everything is immediately offensive, either.

Absolutely. Too often folks are just looking to be offended, not realizing (or caring) that their opinion is just that, their opinion, and others don't automatically feel that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had this discussion with a co-worker yesterday. We couldn't understand how some people get SO mad when you believe something opposite of them and cannot possibly understand why you feel that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jones
United States
Kennett Square
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Personally, I love the darkness of the art. It's a nice departure from cartoony, sticky-sweet, stuff. It would be nice to have more female characters, though. Double-sided seems like the obvious way to go.

I'm in this camp. I feel the number of games that are more light hearted out number games with darker themes. It's refreshing to see something different. Seems there is a lack of real horror themed games.

I don't believe the art work is going to cost them sales. The grotesque monstrosities are what piqued my interest. Personally, my core game group would probably be more inclined to give this a go based solely on the theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's also ok that not every game be played with our kids. The same way as I don't let them watch programs that I feel are inappropriate for them, I handle games the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
brandysta wrote:
As for the 1 female character, I bought the game One Deck Dungeon and really dig it. I never thought about the fact that it has all female characters until an acquaintance (I would not call him a friend, LOL), who fancies himself a brave SJW (though, like most, he lives in his parents' basement) pointed it out to me.

I guess it's great to have 1st World problems like the sex of game characters, eh?

I guess it's great to have 99% of games target and include characters of your gender, eh?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Harding
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The art looks great and it was what originally caught my eye. Keep it gritty and dark.

I will watch the videos and if the game play looks good, I will back this game for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shuck
United States
Peyton
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The art is fantastic, well within the bounds of acceptable tastes at retail.

The gender of the fantasy characters doesn't matter.

It's just a game.

White Wizard Games has a very good record delivering quality titles through Kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP, there are plenty of women who appreciate dark themes and art. Please don't presume to know what women want, regardless of your no doubt profound heterosexual prowess.

EDIT: Wow, I'm a snarky a-hole who completely misread the tone of the original post. Hey OP, I apologize.

Not deleting my original post, for posterity, and for proof, should anyone need it, that I can be an occasional turdnugget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
OP, there are plenty of women who appreciate dark themes and art. Please don't presume to know what women want, regardless of your no doubt profound heterosexual prowess.

Any person is allowed to value gender equality regardless of gender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
░░▒▓███ ███▓▒░░
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZUR13L wrote:
The art is all dark, gross, and generally miserable (I get that it's about war, etc, but it's still a game).

Sorcerer looks really fun, I have been excited about it for a while. Never saw the cards up close until the campaign today. But I agree here. I wish there was a variety in the game's artwork - I'm not really into dark and gross 24/7. The inspiration of different history/mythology from around the world is so great but it just looks like Grimdark Fantasy #1000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daily

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the grotesque artwork. I'm personally tired of glittery, sparkly wizard bullshit in fantasy games. I'm a big fan of horror so I'm more likely to Kickstart this based on that alone as opposed to it being another game that looks like World of Warcraft.

That said I agree with others that I'm bored with game artwork full of generic white guys. I'm a generic white guy who would love to play as a black woman, or a Latino trans person in a way that isn't a token representation of either. For people who aren't generic white guys, I'd imagine it would get exhausting opening up game after game and finding no characters that are like you at all. The board game community is especially diverse; there's no good reason not to mix it up a little.

Anyway, despite the fact that I wish there was a more diverse cast here, cool artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bad Mojo
msg tools
mbmb
Great. Another post degrading into gender equality politics about a fictional world involving mystical monsters. Every game and medium does not need to include every target audience. Does Pokémon make you feel excluded because there are no white/black/male/female/hetero/trans?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right on, Bad Mojo.

This whiny stuff is so tiring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daily

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's a practical matter. For one, it's boring and tired to not have some racial/gender diversity. I don't find it offensive, I just find it lazy. More importantly though, I'd like for more people to get into board games, but I realize it's hard when there are tons of potential gamers that don't have anyone to relate with in a board game. Games are supposed to be immersive, so being able to relate with a character is a part of that.

But regardless, just as you said earlier, people have different preferences and opinions. I'd prefer to have a diverse cast, but that's just my viewpoint. Just because that's something I'd like in a game doesn't make it whiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john bernardo
United States
yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the complaints have forced me to pledge the game.

And remember we all vote with our dollars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daily

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be clear, I'm probably still going to Kickstart this game because it looks fun and the art is cool. The lack of diversity is a downside for me, but it isn't a deal breaker. I just want board game devs to know that there are lots of buyers that like diverse character design and are willing to support it with dollars, that's all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Shuck
United States
Peyton
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there are expansions planned and we haven't seen any stretch goals yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Baker
United States
St. Petersburg
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking forward to this but when I saw the art and the satanic images it’s a huge pass for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jill Tarchala
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, I think they did an amazing job on the artwork even if it's too gruesome and dark for my personal taste, you can see the effort and the artistic aethestic apopeal, but I can't get into the demonic and Satanic theme either. It's just too much...

Also, I tried to look beyond that (figured I'd just play with the other characters), but their instructional video is over an hour long, and I definitely lost interest; it was quite painful to watch.

OH, well.

They definitely have a high success rate of enjoyable games; I guess it's a case of you can't please everyone all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.