Mage Wars Academy» Forums » Variants

Subject: Playing Academy on the Arena "Apprentice" Board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Has anyone considered playing with MW:Academy mage ability cards on the "apprentice" board (3x2)?

Since academy cards are compatible with arena, it should be doable (in terms of movement and quick actions) and might offer a little more depth for strategy, but keeping the same light style of gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben v Gastel
Netherlands
Agelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played Academy-Warlord vs Academy-Warlord on a 3x2 board.
We liked it and will try more different Academy Mages in this modus next week.
The game is much faster than standard Arena and a bit more tactical than Academy.
Especially the ranged attacks are more fun compared to Academy i.m.o.
The absence of walls also makes for a more direct approach, not everybody will like this so you could consider to add the Arena cards to compensate this.

I think you should give it a try to find out if you like it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Awesome!!! Honestly, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I picked up MW Academy on a whim and after trying it out and really liking it, I picked up MW Arena and have played Arena a couple of times since then. I do enjoy both formats of Mage Wars.

Benvgastel wrote:

The game is much faster than standard Arena and a bit more tactical than Academy.
Especially the ranged attacks are more fun compared to Academy i.m.o.

That's basically what I'm hoping for. I like the smaller amount of spell points in MW Academy as it lends itself to a quicker game. Adding the 3x2 board adds a little more strategy and as you pointed out, some meaning to range attacks.

Benvgastel wrote:
not everybody will like this so you could consider to add the Arena card to compensate this.

Can you please add some clarification to what you mean by "add the Arena card" and what benefits that may have? Are you suggesting adding cards like walls from arena into a MW Academy spell book when playing on a 3x2 grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben v Gastel
Netherlands
Agelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are you suggesting adding cards like walls from arena into a MW Academy spell book when playing on a 3x2 grid?

Yes, exact that. You could decide to play with all the cards from Academy and Arena in this modus. I haven't played it this way yet, it might unbalance the game. But I think it could be fun for a short and different game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.