Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ruptured Tendon: Does "starts its movement" include turning to face? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Gabriel
msg tools
mbmbmb
If White Lion has the persistent injury "Ruptured Tendon" to Beast's Heel, does turning to face a target count as "starting movement" for a 1d10 check?

The most relevant passage I can find in the rulebook (1.5) is on p.69 under "Move & Attack Target Actions" (If a monster is already adjacent to its target, it will turn to face its target and attack without moving.) However, "moving" here could be interpreted as "without moving the figure to another space", not "without triggering movement".

Is there a clear ruling on this somewhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGPrime wrote:
If White Lion has the persistent injury "Ruptured Tendon" to Beast's Heel, does turning to face a target count as "starting movement" for a 1d10 check?

The most relevant passage I can find in the rulebook (1.5) is on p.69 under "Move & Attack Target Actions" (If a monster is already adjacent to its target, it will turn to face its target and attack without moving.) However, "moving" here could be interpreted as "without moving the figure to another space", not "without triggering movement".

I don't know if this is in the rule book, but I considered movement as "Move" written on the AI card, So if the card just stated Turn to face the target then no. But if it said Move and Attack, then even if you just pivot that is your MOVE so yup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sams
msg tools
mbmb
icechamber wrote:

Nope. Not to my knowledge, anyway.

I would play this however you/your group decides is most fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly can't remember where I found it, but I spent about an hour digging around a while ago, and it turns out that turning does NOT count as movement.

Shucks... time to dig again so I can find proof that I found proof.

Edit: So ConsoleCleric showed that on page 69 of the original rulebook it states - "If a monster is already adjacent to its target, it will turn to face its target and attack without moving (see under Move & Attack Target Actions, last sentence)."

I don't have the current rulebook near me to see if this is still true in 1.5. Thread I found the answer in: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1464095/does-monster-turnin...

Edit 2: I do see in the Glossary that "place" also does not count as movement. For example, "place the monster adjacent to blah blah".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Sams
msg tools
mbmb
Yeah, still not sold on that. That thread just shows pg. 69 of the rulebook. It's not clear if "without moving" in that context is simply to make it clear that the monster doesn't actually change its position, or if it means that it's "movement" action is skipped. It's ambiguous at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really think so in this case. Especially since it says to TURN the monster and then says "without moving". This directly suggests that turning isn't moving. Which makes sense as the monster is still in the same space. Someone will have to compare the wording in the new rulebook but I'm, as of now, 100% convinced that rotating the monster isn't moving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Gabriel
msg tools
mbmbmb
The wording hasn't changed as far as I can tell, but the passage isn't clear on whether "the monster isn't moving" or "you don't move the figure to another space".

This line from the FAQ makes me lean toward the latter interpretation:
Quote:
►Do monsters always turn to face their target when they attack?
Turning to face the target is part of a Move & Attack action (pg.71, Core Game Book), so a monster will turn to face its target on most AI cards. In other cases, such as Hit Location cards, only turn the monster if instructed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Quarmby
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've had this same discussion. Applying the rule of death, Turn is not the same as Move, so we play it as only if the monster physically changes location (square/tile) via a Move instruction. Personally I think it should count as movement but that just helps the survivors survive - can't have that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. Well NOW it’s certainly ambiguous. I’m gonna keep playing it as “No” but I guess add this to the list of things I’d love to know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems actually clear to me, just by what you already posted.
Turning by itself is NOT moving, and if you just turn, you don't "MOVE" and trigger Ruptured Tendon.

If you Move, you get a free turn included in the Move action. If you just turn because the card says so, you have not moved. That is, almost verbatim, in the FAQ you quoted.

Ambiguity is not when you have two different words express two different concepts, it is when you have two different words express the same concept

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.