Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Swider
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At EPGS, we have seen a Railway Rival resurgence. The last two meetings, we've played the Northern USA (Baltimore, Albany, Erie, Cleveland Pittsburgh) and New England (Map N - NYC, Boston, Portland, Montpelier). It seems a bit "retro" since so many people are familiar with Empire Builder, 18XX and (now) Age of Steam. So in explaining the game, I tell people that this is "the game you already know how to play" and after about 2-3 minutes, new players seem to understand most of the rules.

I don't remember the details to the Norther USA game, but we had three players for New England. Mark Strouthes, who eventually won, started in Portland. Mike Fisher, coming in second, started in Boston. I came in last, starting in Bronx. From both games, it seemed like the winner was a player who had better access to hinterland runs rather than being closer to the larger concentration of cities. This seems to be less important in games with more players, as the more urban areas get locked up faster, and there is more competition for routes that are more isolated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.