Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Johnson
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
This is a light hearted post, but I need your help!

I compared Sushi Go to 7 Wonders, and it started a debate about how they are ONLY similar because they are drafting games. I have a gaming group of 20+ people, and now the running joke is, every game with cards is - "Hey, its just like Sushi Go".

I basically just need people to agree with this, so I can show my group they are wrong, and stop the trolling! laugh laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Johnson
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
I've always said, Sushi Go was 7 Wonders Lite - and my argument was, minus the resources, Its very Similar.

Blue Victory card are like Nigiri.

Green Science cards are similar to the Fruit and Dumplings (The more you collect, the more they're worth).

Red Army cards have a different function, but act/look similar to the Maki cards (there's 1, 2, & 3 on a card, the person with the most gets the points) and the pudding cards (Most gets points, less gets negative points and end of game, rather than rounds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dizz
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
If you are trying to explain a new game to someone, it's helpful to connect it to something that the person already knows.
For this reason, these are definitely related. They are both drafting, set-collection games and nothing more than that. 7 Wonders just tells you that you can't play some cards unless you've already played others.
Your friends are just giving you crap. If they were reasonable people, they would agree with you. Maybe your ardent defense of that correlation has sort of fanned the flames for them.

And for the record, I use the Sushi Go analogy (and others) in even weirder circumstances. Maybe not in saying a game is like another game, but when explaining the mechanic.

For instance, I taught Blood Rage to someone who had only played Catan and Sushi Go. I definitely said "we're going to draft cards kind of like you do in Sushi Go. We're just not going to flip them up," and they completely understood. Make fun of me all day, but it worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balaji Iyengar
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Valandil (God-friend)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Burgers are basically sandwiches when you think of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatChristianGuy wrote:

I compared Sushi Go to 7 Wonders, and it started a debate about how they are ONLY similar because they are drafting games. I have a gaming group of 20+ people, and now the running joke is, every game with cards is - "Hey, its just like Sushi Go".

I basically just need people to agree with this, so I can show my group they are wrong, and stop the trolling! laugh laugh

They're both worth owning and playing in their own right, but they definitely share more similarities than not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Johnson
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mb
Brandizzle wrote:
If you are trying to explain a new game to someone, it's helpful to connect it to something that the person already knows.
For this reason, these are definitely related. They are both drafting, set-collection games and nothing more than that. 7 Wonders just tells you that you can't play some cards unless you've already played others.
Your friends are just giving you crap. If they were reasonable people, they would agree with you. Maybe your ardent defense of that correlation has sort of fanned the flames for them.

And for the record, I use the Sushi Go analogy (and others) in even weirder circumstances. Maybe not in saying a game is like another game, but when explaining the mechanic.

For instance, I taught Blood Rage to someone who had only played Catan and Sushi Go. I definitely said "we're going to draft cards kind of like you do in Sushi Go. We're just not going to flip them up," and they completely understood. Make fun of me all day, but it worked.

I know they are giving me crap, but I still want to be right lol. I flipped out when they smugly said "No, they are totally different games". It all started because I made the comparisons of sushi go when teaching 7 Wonders, which seems like a no brainer comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been "Rich People's Problems" in every age of history. In the ancient world, rich people were concerned with conquering territory, building huge structures and monuments, trading for the best deals, and discovering technologies that would make their lives more comfortable. In our modern world, we rich people are concerned with having fun, collecting sets and other stuff, earning more than our neighbors, and ending up with the most dessert. We're all the same. So, yes, 7 Wonders is just like Sushi Go!. laughlaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatChristianGuy wrote:

When I teach Terraforming Mars to new players I always compare it to Sushi Go: "you draft some cards, just like in Sushi Go. And then something like recourses is added to the game: you have to pay for the cards you want to keep and you have t pay for them again when you build them in your tableau."

Sushi Go is also a very good game to use as an example when teaching Race for the Galaxy: "Do you know Sushi Go? Great, then this will be easy: just like in Sushi Go you all secretly choose a card and then you reveal it simultaneously."

I also use Sushi Go as an example when explaining Monopoly to new players: on your turn you can add a card to your tableau, just like in Sushi Go. And when you've made some nice sets you get a bonus, just like in Sushi Go."

Now that I think of it, I even use Sushi Go to explain Clue: "When you're familiar with Sushi Go, this is such a simple game. Just like in Sushi Go this game is about a collection of cards."

Hey, now that I think of it, every game is just like Sushi Go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, they use the same core mechanic of simultaneous card drafting.

The thing is, If someone would try to convince me to play 7 Wonders by saying it is similar to Sushi Go, I would absolutely say NO WAY!

In fact I am a big fan of 7W and I would prefer to not play Sushi Go ever again...

Of course opinions may differ, but the problem might be that you compared something quite mediocre or bad (SG) to something quite good (7W).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Granovsky
Mexico
Guadalajara
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since 7 Wonders is older I guess the correct way should be Sushi Go is like 7 Wonders.

Merit where is due
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go! is just like Sushi Go Party!, but different. Kinda. A Little. Maybe.

Or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol, that's ridiculous, but I get it. Saying everything with cards is like Sushi Go is a bit intense though. 7 Wonders has a lot of facets that tie it to Sushi Go, though, and I agree they are much alike.

I have to explain worker placement games as "Like Agricola" to my family in a lot of cases. they haven't turned it around to any time you put a guy on a thing (like Carcassonne or something) that it's like Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, all joking apart, when a new game is being taught to you, the game is easier to grasp when you can relate it to something you already know. The core mechanisms in 7 Wonders are very similair to those in Sushi Go (and yes, 7 Wonders was first): you draft a cards, poass the rest of the cards and build the card in your tableau in order to collect sets. When you're familiar with Sushi Go you will get this part of 7 Wonders quicker and the explainer can confidently move on to the next mechanism in 7 Wonders (recources, fighting, wonders).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I read an interview somewhere where the designer talked about being inspired by 7 Wonders but might be thinking of something else.

Yes Sushi Go is essentially a less complex version of 7 Wonders. No money or variable player powers with the Wonders but otherwise the same. They are just busting your chops. I like them both but Sushi Go is obviously easier to teach.

I know the 2p variant is straight out of 7 Wonders'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jedimusic wrote:
I think I read an interview somewhere where the designer talked about being inspired by 7 Wonders but might be thinking of something else.

Yes Sushi Go is essentially a less complex version of 7 Wonders. No money or variable player powers with the Wonders but otherwise the same. They are just busting your chops. I like them both but Sushi Go is obviously easier to teach.

I know the 2p variant is straight out of 7 Wonders'.
If we're going to add to the history lesson (as pointed out by pgranovsky), I believe 7W may have drawn inspirations from Fairy Tale.

The one negative about Fairy Tale is it's sufficiently complex enough that teaching it may take longer than to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friends smugly say 7 Wonders and Sushi Go are nothing alike? Your friends are full of shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Sverre Lund
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much the first thing I said when presenting 7 Wonders, was "Okay, this is like Sushi Go, i.e. pick a card, send the rest, but with some more stuff added on. For starters, you can use the card you picked in three different ways ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Magno
Argentina
flag msg tools
They are definitely the same genere, and they are very much alike, with very minor differences.
They have the same core mechanic, which is the most important part in a game, and they even share some others of the same mechanics
You are example is good, you are supe right here and your friends are full of shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R A
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Part of the reason we play Sushi Go with our five year old is that is great prep for the day that he is ready to play 7 Wonders. The drafting mechanic is the same and the passing of the cards. He loves Sushi Go but is easy to beat, he plays a pure dumpling strategy because he likes that card...

He also enjoys watching me play 7 Wonders on my iPad and is already asking what resources I need to build my Wonder and pointing out those cards in my hands. He might be ready for 7 Wonders sooner then we thought...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.