Vega Dark
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, 3 questions.

1. Very early into our campaign (our second game ever) we drew a road event that caused us to lose a random item. Are our starting items included among this? I ended up losing my starting weapon as the telepath, which is really dumb because that is one of the weapons I am supposed to be able to upgrade on my character sheet. Is this intended? Seems extremely bad and not intended to lose something so key to my character, at least so early on. I didn't see anything about starting items being exempt from the pool of possible items you could lose.

2. I have not found anything in the rules to suggest you cannot just repeatedly leave town and return to town immediately afterward to allow you essentially unlimited services. Is that accurate? I cannot imagine that is the intent of the creators, otherwise why would you bother having a limit on services?

3. Gambling seems incredibly OP. From the rules, "There is no limit on the number of transactions within a service location." So, If a character chooses to go to the inn, they can perform the "gamble" service unlimited times. This presents a game-breaking issue where if anyone with trickery gambles, they are going to essentially have the ability to get infinite money. This is because they will only lose money on a die roll of 1 or 2, will break even on 3-6, and double their bet on 7-10. With the odds in your favor here, it's just a matter of time commitment to get as much money as you want. Even if you fixed the issue I mention above of being able to return to town infinite times, even if you were only allowed 1 town visit this would still be an issue.

Am I interpreting these rules wrong? Are there erratas for any of these?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. no, they are not excluded. But we houserule that when u have only 1 weapon you cant lose that one. If the gane had some way of getting a new wespon, might have some logic; but as if now is too randim and could make a character extemelly boring to play.

2. nope. technically you can. the only limit is that you have to take a road event and then go back to town. we limit that, we cant go town- 1 riad space - town. we need to arrive to another location in the map before going back to town (or to another town)

3. cant help there. if the town reference does not say "once per visit" (which it should) then yes, is open to abuse.

hopefully creators are aware of these and fixing it/making it clearer

at the end, things that can be abuse and brake the game; simple dint why msking the game boring simple because you found a glitch.

that said creators should clarify this for future edition (2nd)
the gambling will be fix by simple adding once per visit (like under bandage)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vega Dark
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers.

However, gambling won't be fixed unless the map exploit is also fixed, as you can just leave town and go back repeatedly and gamble more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schmidt
Germany
flag msg tools
Gambling will be revised the statement once per visit is missing for second edition it will be stated and traveling back and forth to town via 1toad event can be abused but then the whole group is cheating on their own game experience and fun.
So you could just house rule as Chang said that next town visit has to be a different town or can only be done for same town after an encounter map transition.

Have a good one
Peter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dock
msg tools
mbmb
Hi Vega

1) With regards to this my group agreed that one equipped weapons couldn't be lost unless broken (roll of a one), part of our logic of this is that equipped weapons do not need to be used like an item it's just used in conjunction with an attack. But thous are my thoughts on that.

2) As others above the have said the intention and the rewording of the town interaction would require at least one on road/off road event before reentering a town. The danger of doing the money farming is that you may hit skirmishes etc that leave you with conditions that require lore to remove or that you find thous types of Events that cause you to discard items ( eg losing the items you've just spent time accruing coins for, and if they are unique items from the player booklet then these will be lost.

3)The gambling location was confirmed changed to once per town visit. Which stacks with the point 2) of leaving town undertaking an event before reentering.

4) yip it's the unwritten rule of keeping the game fun whilst aiming to keep the game progression balanced to allow an appreciable amount of challenge for all involved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holylein wrote:
Gambling will be revised the statement once per visit is missing for second edition it will be stated and traveling back and forth to town via 1toad event can be abused but then the whole group is cheating on their own game experience and fun.
So you could just house rule as Chang said that next town visit has to be a different town or can only be done for same town after an encounter map transition.

Have a good one
Peter
my game arrived yesterday, so i'm assuming that:
- mine must be a 1st edition?
- and that none of these updates/changes will be in my rulebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dock
msg tools
mbmb
That's correct John.

Some of these have been updated on some of the downloadable resources that Greenbrier have available and others will be put up over time on a resource website they are building currently.

These are very minor changes to the game that in normal game play you wouldn't notice them unless specific circumstances occur.

Theirs an ongoing official FAQ/errata post on the BGG forum that Will/Zee check through and answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VegaDark541 wrote:
Thanks for the answers.

However, gambling won't be fixed unless the map exploit is also fixed, as you can just leave town and go back repeatedly and gamble more.

You can leave and experience a road event and then come back. That is currently what is on the table.

It's exploitable. The game offers you freedom to exploit parts of it (see the rumors thread). It is your choice to exploit or not exploit.

It's kinda like a video game. You can grind away with various mobs to level your character up before tacking the main quests. You can make the game easier or harder depending on your choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.