9 Posts

High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: 4 maps and first destinations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
Why are there four maps in the game? I just read the basic and the advanced game and as I can see therefore only one and the same map.

Can you give me a tip which destinations are good to start in the first game for beginners? Maybe there are further tips for beginners?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are actually two versions of one map and one other map. The High Frontier map comes in two sizes: the smaller size is the complete Solar system on one map board; the large size is the complete Solar system on two map boards joined together. The other map is the Interstellar map, on one side of one map board. That is a separate game about Interstellar exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
In the back of one of the rulebooks is a list of good sites to start with.

I would look at Lutetia and Herta. Plenty of water and a relatively good chance for factory success.

More importantly, go to places your rocket can land and where your Robonaut can Prospect. That's what will ultimately choose your destination for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you Rich James. So there is no difference if I use the large or the small map!?
Where do I find the rules to the other game about interstellar exploration?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks Adam!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Interstellar is its own rulebook. It's one of the 4 that come with the game.

Quick Start
Colonization
Reference Guide
Interstellar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also important is what you can build there. If you have lots of tech that can be built at an S factory, you'd like to build an S factory if possible. Of course, I think S may be one of those difficult ones where it's hard to find a site that will work with a lot of possible tech combinations.

There's a chart in one of the rulebooks that gives a LOT of options and shows what you need for them. I don't remember which, and checking the PDFs doesn't help me because unfortunately, things were moved around between books for the PDF. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Teknador wrote:
Thank you Rich James. So there is no difference if I use the large or the small map!?

The large and small maps are identical other than table space required.

I posted some player aids (for basic and colonization) which might be helpful in remembering rules, along with a summary of all the basic cards (useful for knowing what might pair with what, and what's on the reverse side of everything). Also, there's an almanac listing all the locations (sorted by hydration or by zone) to help find good locations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven
Germany
flag msg tools
Thank you for the lots of answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.