Popular Tags: [View All]
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight we got together for the ultimate Carcassonne game (or perhaps Carcassonne from Hell). I recently got the limited edition with all the expansion but already had the original game and expansions. Wanting to consolidate everything I threw it all together. So in total there were 2 base games, 2 expansion sets, 2 Traders and Builder, and 3 King and Scouts sets (using only the King stuff of course). I also have 3 sets of the river expansion which was thankfully left out of the bag for this undertaking. We played that there was still only one Robber Baron (longest road) and one King (largest castle). The game probably went a good 2.5 hours and we thought the bag would never run out of tiles. It's a good thing there was a leaf in the dining room table. It was a six-player game with me, Rodney, Greg, Colete, Micki, and Kirsten. We limited tile placement restrictions to the edges of the table and off we went. When all was said and done we were spent for the night.

Getting to the end, the final scores were
Walt-261
Greg-259
Rodney-248
Micki-178
Colete-170
Kirsten-166

We were handing out both sets of 50/100 markers and turning them over whenever we lapped the scoreboard. I was surprised at how close the top 3 scores were. Early on, Colete tried to thwart me by placing a Cathedral on a large castle I was building. Then to make it worse, Micki placed another Cathedral in it. Greg hoarded in on it, but then we worked together and actually finish it to everyone's dismay. He placed the final piece to complete it and took the King tile and 5 resource tiles. The castle scored each of us 52 points. This threw Greg and I out into an early lead that was hard to catch. Initially I had the Robber Baron with a 7 tile road but eventually lost it to Colete for the rest of the game when she built an 8 tiler. I almost got it back at the end of the game but couldn't finish my nine tile road with a lake inn and so lost all the points for that one. Greg kept the King through the end game and scored 31 points for total castles on the board. I really can't remember how many roads were complete but there were probably just as many considering even the small 2-tile ones. Everyone was fairly careful with meeple placement not wanting to lose them to farms early on. Once the bag was about half empty farms started looking very lucrative. It was the final farm scoring with pigs that really pushed the numbers up.

What a marathon. Next time I'm thinking of starting with one river source and the other two in the bag with no river ends. I'm not sure how this will turn out but first I'd have to get everyone to agree in giving this monster another try. Other than some fading eyelids at the end of the game, everyone seemed to enjoy playing this expanded version.

As for me, I'll keep it all together for 6 players and use either the Castle game for 2 players or Hunters and Gatherers or Ark of the Covenant for 4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.