Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: So about Arkham Horror LCG rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ralph Meleti
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
So far I have collected the game up to the end of Dunwich cycle. I will admit that the game is an awesome experience to play through with a group of friends.

However what bothers me is I don't plan to play through each campaign more than once maybe twice is the cost to experience (and collect the cards) of this game a worthy ongoing cost?

(as well as getting sleeves, for them...well I guess you can recycle sleeves from one campaign cycle to another)

What are your thoughts as I look longingly at the game box every time I see it...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really up to you. I have already played core 4 times and intend to play Dunwhich that many times too. There are plenty of conclusions I didn't reach.

I don't understand your sleeve question. You only need to sleeve 2 to 4 decks and the current scenario. Are you sleeving the whole bunch of cards? That's crazy.
I'm storing player cards in a binder and encounter cards in a sleeves display. And that's it.
Then I'm sleeving each encounter deck / Act / Agenda prior to each game and unsleeving, reusing sleeves from game to game.

It might be expensive for a single playthrough, true. If you're keeping the same group you might want to spread the cost.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukáš Rinka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Short Answer:
If you had "an awesome experience to play trough with a group of friends" then yes, it is worth every penny.

Long(er) answer:
I can´t speak for Arkham Horror LCG, but I play LotR LCG. I suppose the basic nature of both games (co-op LCG) is same or similar enough to be able to apply my thouhts for LotR to AH.

1) When you buy more packs (or cycles) you increase your card pool. In LotR you can build many different decks, later with more cards even some thematic decks (dwarves, eagles...and many more). I suppose this is similar with AH LCG? If yes and if you like AH LCG enough, it could be fun to replay same scenarions with vastly different decks, try new tricks and so on...

2) Even if you are not into that kind of things, like replaying same scenarios with different decks, I think there are many free fan made scenarios which you can play with cards available to you. For LotR there was many high quality custom made scenarios - from disscusion some even better than official scenarios. I´ve just watched Rahdo Runs Through recently and he was playing one of custom made scenarios in his runthrough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XTrueFinale wrote:
However what bothers me is I don't plan to play through each campaign more than once maybe twice is the cost to experience (and collect the cards) of this game a worthy ongoing cost?
That's for you to decide.

Personally, I've decided against investing in the game. I'm in the lucky position of still getting to play it, since two players in our board game group bought into it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XTrueFinale wrote:
I don't plan to play through each campaign more than once maybe twice

Why? You might not even draw a card you've upgraded to in a single play, much less explored the wide variety of different investigators. I've played Dunwich cycle over 10 times now and I've only explored 4 of the 10 investigators.

This is a strategic planning deck construction + tactical card play with a paper thin story tacked on. If you're only interested in the story, there are much better games than this for immersion (haven't played it, but Mansions of Madness 2nd Ed comes to mind) and I'd think you'd be better off sinking your money elsewhere.

If you actually like the tactical decisions, I can't fathom why you would only play once.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
This is a strategic planning deck construction + tactical card play with a paper thin story tacked on.


I'll say. The story's cute but a farcry from what I expected in terms of depth.
It's still better than another game I know in terms of storytelling, and still a good point for the game, but it's far from deep.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Power
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Cup of Coffee wrote:
Short Answer:
If you had "an awesome experience to play trough with a group of friends" then yes, it is worth every penny.

Long(er) answer:
I can´t speak for Arkham Horror LCG, but I play LotR LCG. I suppose the basic nature of both games (co-op LCG) is same or similar enough to be able to apply my thouhts for LotR to AH.

1) When you buy more packs (or cycles) you increase your card pool. In LotR you can build many different decks, later with more cards even some thematic decks (dwarves, eagles...and many more). I suppose this is similar with AH LCG? If yes and if you like AH LCG enough, it could be fun to replay same scenarions with vastly different decks, try new tricks and so on...

2) Even if you are not into that kind of things, like replaying same scenarios with different decks, I think there are many free fan made scenarios which you can play with cards available to you. For LotR there was many high quality custom made scenarios - from disscusion some even better than official scenarios. I´ve just watched Rahdo Runs Through recently and he was playing one of custom made scenarios in his runthrough.


I play LotR LCG too, and I recently got into AH. While I like both, I think LotR has more replay value for me because it doesn't rely on narritive so much. Perhaps LotR is more 'puzzley' in nature so it invites replays even when I succeed, in an attempt to get a better score. I also think with the huge card base LotR has now, it's much easier to build completely different decks whenever you feel like it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Lazer wrote:
I play LotR LCG too, and I recently got into AH. While I like both, I think LotR has more replay value for me because it doesn't rely on narritive so much. Perhaps LotR is more 'puzzley' in nature so it invites replays even when I succeed, in an attempt to get a better score. I also think with the huge card base LotR has now, it's much easier to build completely different decks whenever you feel like it.


As someone who just got into AH, LotR has so many expansions out that getting into it is far to impressive for a newcomer! I was interested by the LCG model as a former M:tG player always wanting new stuff and deck construction, but LotR is just to much to keep up. AH is a lot of content already but nowhere as painful.
I'm up to date now to Echoes of the Past + Rogarou and Carnevale so I can safely follow releases. I was trying to choose between this and Legend of the Five Rings, but 3 cores + 2 hours for the latter was a killer :/

Anyway, that doesn't help the OP
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.