BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What game to get next rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
horst horstensen
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys,
im just getting into the awesomeness of modern boardgames and me and my friends are having a blast. At the moment i have One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Scythe, which are both quite amazing. I plan to get Daybreak expansion for Werewolf and Invaders from Afar for Scythe at some point, mostly to be able to play with more people.
Now eventually i want to have quite a diverse collection, to be able to play different kinds of games, instead of getting a lot of games of one type.
However im really into strategy games, so i wouldnt be totally against getting another game like scythe.
Anyway, ive been looking a bit at the high rated games here and found some interesting ones, but cant quite decide. Right now im undecided between Steampunk Rally, which looks very unique and innovative aswell as easy to pick up fun game for casuals, Dead of Winter, cause i like the co-op rpg-like style and the zombie theme, or pandemic(not the legacy one, too long).
Gloomhaven looks also nice, but kinda expensive, and maybe a bit too nerdy for my group.
Any Ideas? Right now im leaning mostly towards Steampunk Rally, but im also up for different suggestions(Food Magnat or Eldrich Horror also sound interesting for Example, damn so many great games and so little time/money!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willkommen auf BGG.

There are so many good games that cater to different styles and tastes that it is *really* hard to recommend something. I'd say it would be more important to find a game group or local meetup where you can try out games and then see what you enjoy before you start buying lots of stuff.

If that is not an option, Pandemic is a good start because it can appeal to casual and hardcore strategy gamers alike. It is variable, relatively short and easy to learn, and the difficulty can be adjusted.

For a long, complex strategy game, my favourite is Terra Mystica. Scythe was inspired by it, though interestingly, I don't like Scythe very much.
And Gloomhaven is super-awesome (currently my addiction), but it takes a very dedicated group. Setup also takes forever, so if you are unsure, maybe pass it for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
The two games you have are at totally opposite ends of the game weight spectrum! That's good though, cos it means that you can enjoy a variety of genres, etc.

There are a few of key things to think about when you are buying a game, a) who am I playing with (and how many people), b) what would they enjoy, c) what do I enjoy? These factors really affect whether or not the game will get played. When you are first in the hobby, you won't have a ton of games so you want the games that you do have to be played and enjoyed as much as possible.

With that in mind I will give you my suggestions:

If you are playing mostly with casuals who like to learn a game quickly and not have it last too long, then a 'gateway game' is your best bet. Some of the best known ones are: Ticket to Ride: Europe, Pandemic, Catan, Carcassonne. IMO Ticket to Ride and Pandemic are the kings of this genre, with Pandemic being particularly popular/addictive in our group.

However
, these are much lighter than Scythe. This basically means they are have fewer rules and less to think about when forming a strategy.

Steampunk Rally is more complex than the gateway games mentioned, but less complex than Scythe. I find Steampunk Rally really quite fun, but you should be prepared for the rules explanation and your first games with new people to take quite a while. There are a few different phases in each round which all need explaining, but once you know it they are pretty easy to execute.

Dead of Winter and Eldritch Horror are both longer, more thematic games with much less strategy than something like Scythe. I enjoy both, but I don't play them with just anyone. A couple of my friends would never sit through something like Eldritch Horror, because it is long and has too much dice rolling. IMO, Eldritch is best with 2 or 4 players - don't be tricked by the 'it goes up to 8' nonsense! I also think that Dead of Winter is a 4 player game. Five players takes too long (but I can tolerate it), and with three there is no tension. I don't consider it playable as two players.

So after all that I probably haven't answered your question. So I will recommend Lords of Waterdeep. It is a bit more heavy than your regular gateway level game, but is simpler than Scythe. I was sceptical about it at first (as I have no interest in D&D) however it was a gift from my Secret Santa one year and it was perfect. If you can, buy it with the expansion, then play your first few games just with the base game before adding the expansion.

tl;dr: I recommend Lords of Waterdeep, or following that, Steampunk Rally or a tried-and-true gateway game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenith Splendor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are all very good suggestions.
Terraforming Mars is another one you should check out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Blood Rage, look no further. Strategy, yet with totally different mechanics, not hard to teach, not hard to learn but hard to master, wonderful look, and has been in more top 10 of all time lists than you can count.

I can also strongly recommend the Conan boardgame from Monolith for your first foray into the 1 vs many genre.

And there is always Cosmic Encounter as the archetypical "replay value over 9000" game classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just beware when you ask the question “what game should I get next” in a forum, you are going to end up with a ton of answers and you may end up more confused than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Prentis
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Have you considered Monster Lands? Check it out on the Kickstarter page, see if it appeals to you. I'm pretty hyped for it tbh, it feels like just the right balance of gameplay and depth, tactics and luck, theme and cool art. It's got a last few days on Kickstarter with some very nice exclusives that will offer even more replayability and flavour.

The link is here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1571361752/monster-land...

There's also a BGR contest going for one Monster level pledge:
https://wn.nr/CrG2sb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.