Subject: GOING FOR IT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently watched the videos on this game again and decided to go for it.

Now I've noticed that some expansions are about weird fantasy stuff and I would like to keep things realistic, so I won't go for those, but what expansions do you think one should get with this game.

I know I probably should enjoy the base game first, but as I'm in a buying mood......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Little Idiot
Scotland
Manhattan
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got everything for HoN. Wasn't interested in the fantasy stuff.
The Army boxes are good for custom scenarios where you build a points-based force.
The Carentan, St, Mere Eglise and Pegasus Bridge expansions are good if you like linked scenarios. The single boards are good if you are interested in a certain faction. Being British I snapped up all the UK stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littleidiot wrote:
The Army boxes are good for custom scenarios where you build a points-based force.
The Carentan, St, Mere Eglise and Pegasus Bridge expansions are good if you like linked scenarios. The single boards are good if you are interested in a certain faction. Being British I snapped up all the UK stuff.

Plus you get the Canadian forces

Agreed though... if you don't want any of the Chuthulu stuff or the Superheroes, it is easy to avoid as they all have their own sets and are not included in the "regular" sets.

Also, all of the Gazettes have fun scenarios, mini campaigns and units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
littleidiot wrote:

I seem to recall reading about a set with bagpipes, which should be right up your alley. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
littleidiot wrote:

Plus you get the Canadian forces

Agreed though... if you don't want any of the Chuthulu stuff or the Superheroes, it is easy to avoid as they all have their own sets and are not included in the "regular" sets.

Also, all of the Gazettes have fun scenarios, mini campaigns and units.

Up here in the northern Netherlands Canadian forces is a must have.
Obviously...
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Piepho
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The DPG site has a number of expansions, e.g. Wittman's Tigers, at 50% off, so you may want to check that out first. They also have many of the Gazettes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skystalker wrote:
The DPG site has a number of expansions, e.g. Wittman's Tigers, at 50% off, so you may want to check that out first. They also have many of the Gazettes.

Voilà. Get the Gazettes and these single punchboard expansions rather soon than late because I read that Devil Pig Games will not be reprinting these... So once they're gone, they're gone.

I too recommend getting the scenario boxes as a first add-on. They're very great value for your money because they give scenario's plus new rules and features.

Skip the Shadows over Normandie (the fantasy you refer too, based on the HP Lovecraft mythos world) stuff first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this thread was very useful to me when i was considering what to buy:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1566746/retail-expansions-w...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyrexian wrote:
skystalker wrote:

Voilà. Get the Gazettes and these single punchboard expansions rather soon than late because I read that Devil Pig Games will not be reprinting these... So once they're gone, they're gone.

I too recommend getting the scenario boxes as a first add-on. They're very great value for your money because they give scenario's plus new rules and features.

Skip the Shadows over Normandie (the fantasy you refer too, based on the HP Lovecraft mythos world) stuff first.

Checked their website and apparently I've just missed this.
I could get them at my local shop at 4 times that price, but weirdly enough that takes the fun out of it.

If it will be such a struggle to get things for this game, if they don't bother with re-prints, I wonder if I would be wise to bother jumping in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not a matter of re-prints... it was a matter of the single-board expansions not working well in the retail chain. If you take a look at the new packs that are coming out (the 4th, 7th or 1st SS armored packs) you will see you get a couple of boards in actually useful (from a branding and retail sales point of view) packaging. That is the new packaging system being implemented.

The Army boxes are being re-evaluated. Not sure what is going to happen to them, but I would expect something replacing them at some point. The UK box in some other form would be a critical kit for those that want to use UK forces after all!

At one point DPG was talking about "Reinforcement Packs" and "Elite Packs". The first of the Elite Packs was Lord Lovat, and the Reinforcement packs first released are the armored platoons. Many of the old single-board expansions may well reappear in a reinforcement pack, but no idea when.

Look around and see if you can find the army boxes somewhere else. The extra German and US order tokens are only useful in multi-player games (or if you just prefer the other tokens), but the rest of the contents are nice to have. If you want to use Commonwealth forces, then you definitely want to try and track down the UK Army Box, since it includes the CW action deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostradunwhich wrote:
It is not a matter of re-prints... it was a matter of the single-board expansions not working well in the retail chain. If you take a look at the new packs that are coming out (the 4th, 7th or 1st SS armored packs) you will see you get a couple of boards in actually useful (from a branding and retail sales point of view) packaging. That is the new packaging system being implemented.

A little side note on that retail packaging idea.

I understand that blisters will sell better in a game store. But all three armoured packs that I bought (online, not from DPG, from a BGG user) did not come in that nice blister pack you see on the DPG site. They were just shrink wrapped like the single board expansions. Not that it matters (I throw that blister away anyhow) but marketing wise it doesn't feel right. Maybe I got an early batch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
I could get them at my local shop at 4 times that price, but weirdly enough that takes the fun out of it.

Summoner.nl still has a lot of the single punchboards in their online shop. Their prices are correct (low). It's a very good online shop in the Netherlands. I bought from them several times.
http://www.summoner.nl/search.php?searchString=heroes+of+nor...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nostradunwhich wrote:

The Army boxes are being re-evaluated. Not sure what is going to happen to them, but I would expect something replacing them at some point. The UK box in some other form would be a critical kit for those that want to use UK forces after all!

At one point DPG was talking about "Reinforcement Packs" and "Elite Packs". The first of the Elite Packs was Lord Lovat, and the Reinforcement packs first released are the armored platoons. Many of the old single-board expansions may well reappear in a reinforcement pack, but no idea when.

Look around and see if you can find the army boxes somewhere else. The extra German and US order tokens are only useful in multi-player games (or if you just prefer the other tokens), but the rest of the contents are nice to have. If you want to use Commonwealth forces, then you definitely want to try and track down the UK Army Box, since it includes the CW action deck.

Thanks for explaining.

I don't mind paying, and games are expenisive, but it annoys me when I feel I pay to much when there would have been no need for it.

But then I guess we are all on the same page on that.

By the way, I find your name quite unpronounceable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyrexian wrote:
sagitar wrote:

Summoner.nl still has a lot of the single punchboards in their online shop. Their prices are correct (low). It's a very good online shop in the Netherlands. I bought from them several times.
http://www.summoner.nl/search.php?searchString=heroes+of+nor...

I know, it is my regular shop. and a very good one indeed.

But when you look at the DGP site the offer was 9 sets for €20 if I'm not mistaken, while the Summoner offers them for €9 each.

So you can understand how that made me reluctant.

And that's nothing against Summoner, I know other shops are more expensive. I've seen the base came sold in other shops for double what the Summoner charges you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, the offer from DPG is/was a real promotion to get them all in one package. I got them there too.

You can still get six single punchboards at €4 each at DPG:
• Wittman's Tigers (highly recommended because you get cool and powerful Tiger tanks)
• British Weapon Platoon (Alt) (with a flamethrower!)
• Canadian Inf Platoon (Alt)
• US rifle Platoon
• SS-Panzergrenadier
• Extra Units US&GE

The once that are NOT available anymore are two terrain boards and the US Rangers alt. So you can still get 6/9. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky you.

As usual I'm late to the party.

Did you really get 9 sets for only 20 euros?wow
That's almost like they were giving it away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart De Vuyst
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue Some people have all the luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyrexian wrote:
Nostradunwhich wrote:

But all three armoured packs that I bought (online, not from DPG, from a BGG user) did not come in that nice blister pack you see on the DPG site. They were just shrink wrapped like the single board expansions. Not that it matters (I throw that blister away anyhow) but marketing wise it doesn't feel right. Maybe I got an early batch?

Did you buy yours from Iello? There was a misunderstanding and Iello ended up with the wrong version. The shrink-wrap version was supposed to go to KS backers. So some KS backers ended up getting blister packs instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Walis
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you are interested, I have the Kickstarter package for sale on the
marketplace. It's listed under Heroes of Normandie 2014.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool Stuff Inc currently has the UK Army box on sale for $27.50 if you are in the US that is a sweet deal. They also have Lord Lovat for half price. That is a good start on UK forces

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue I can only repeat myself....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
soblue I can only repeat myself....

Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking on the website I spotted a set called errata 3 and wonder what that is about.

I understand from other posts there have been a kazillion errors and so ... I MUST BUY THIS??? or suffer a broken game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X. Nostradunwhich
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sagitar wrote:
Looking on the website I spotted a set called errata 3 and wonder what that is about.

I understand from other posts there have been a kazillion errors and so ... I MUST BUY THIS??? or suffer a broken game?

Take a look at the Unofficial Product Index, it lists errata for all the products and which are fixed by what errata:
https://www.devil-pig-games.com/en/forum/?action=viewtopic&t...
(disclaimer: I maintain the list)

Errata 3 fixes a few things, but some of what it does is bring sets into line with v2.0 rules. Field command costs were changed a bit in v2.0, and some other items changed. Some of the objective people had their ambush side changed to look like civilians for instance. Those are not strictly errors, but tweaks to the materials. The changes are not earth shattering and your game will play fine even in v2.0 rules without the new versions.

Errata 3 also has some new forces included as well as some other bonuses (a Field terrain element overlay).

The index includes a list of the contents of the board:
https://www.devil-pig-games.com/en/forum/?action=viewtopic&t...
I think you can also get pics of the boards here on BGG.

Errata #3 also covers issues in later material, so it is most all from expansions. How useful that will be depends on how much of the HoN collection you plan to buy.

But as far as "broken game" goes... there are not really that many errors that impact game play. Most are cosmetic issues (this German halftrack token has the wrong name, but I can still buy the halftracks and use them) or (the officer token for this platoon does not have the same name as shown on the recruitment tile, but the color stripes match so he is the officer that goes with the unit). If you are a perfectionist, those may be an issue. If you can deal with "I have to remember that sniper cannot shoot heavy vehicles" or "The airborne bazookas should have the same destruction and pierce abilities as standard bazookas" then you will have no problems.

Take a look at the products you have and you can see what issues exist.

As someone else said in another thread, once of HoN's strengths is its weakness -- all the data for a unit is available on the unit token, but that means any error is much harder to fix than a full miniatures game where you just have to get an updated PDF of the rules because the data is all in the book.

Perhaps it is my background as a miniatures wargamer that is why I don't have issue with the few game affecting errors in HoN. I used to have to look up ALL the stats for a unit, now I just have to keep a couple of things in mind when playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.