6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Hero Realms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Unger
msg tools
mbmbmb
My buddy and I want to get into Hero Realms as of now we don't have any of the cards. My question is simple what should I buy to start?

-Base Game?
-Character Packs?
-Campaign mode?

I want to give the game a fair shake but don't want to necessarily buy everything having not played the game. At the same time I don't want to play and think the game is just bad or alright since I am missing some of the cards that would improve my experience. Or buy aspects or the game and realize I don't have everything I need to play.

Where should I start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always start with just the base game if I can. If the base game does not grab me, no amount of additional content will make the game any better for me.

PS
As a personal preference I enjoy Star Realms over Hero Realms. Maybe if Hero Realms falls flat for you and your friend, try giving it a look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend getting the base game and at least two character packs to start with Hero Realms. The base game alone would be enough, but the character packs add a lot to the game and they aren't very expensive either, especially if you split up costs with your friend. :)

I personally enjoyed all games in the Realms series so far, so I'd say it just comes down to what exactly you want and which theme you enjoy the most.

Star Realms only supports 2 players with the base game but has the most expansions (= the most content) so far. Cthulhu Realms has no expansions but the base game supports up to 4 players and I personally really liked the colourful, quirky art. ;) The base game of Hero Realms supports up to 4 players as well and the character packs add asymmetrical player powers and start decks to the mix, which I really enjoyed!

I usually prefer any other theme over medieval fantasy, but Hero Realms has been my favourite so far, at least with the character packs (without them I'd say Cthulhu Realms is the most well-rounded base game experience, it's a little more complex than base game Star Realms and supports 4-players - the only downside is, there are no expansions if you want more).

I'm also quite excited about the co-op campaign expansion, since my husband enjoys playing with me rather than against me a lot more! (I win too often, haha..) - so that's another point for Hero Realms in my case. So, as I said, really depends on what you personally want from the game, the rules and mechanisms of all 3 are pretty much the same with minor changes here and there and different levels of variability and complexity depending on how many expansions you add to the mix. ;)

Well, whatever you decide to get, wish you guys tons of fun playing! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
Buy the base and the character packs, then put aside the character packs until you play the game through a few times, Games are very quick my wife and I travel with this one as it is easy to set up and quick to play. Once you are happy and can play the game add the characters, they had a small dimension with a ability card and a single use action. But the decks are pretty much the same as the core decks, but may call the dagger a magic missile. Fun game, looking forward to getting my hands on the campaign , dragon and leech expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Star Realms or Cthulhu Realms? Hero Realms is a little faster, more cutthroat, and swingier than the other Realms games, but fundamentally they are very similar. The character packs and the campaign mode are the things that set it apart from other Realms games.

I'd say if you've never played a Realms game before and Hero Realms is the one that's catching your eye first, just start with the base set.

If you're into Star/Cthulhu Realms and are eyeing Hero Realms, get the base set and at least two character packs so you can get a feel for what it has to offer.

If you should go ahead and get the campaign mode and enough character packs to support it, I wouldn't be able to talk you out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Fitzpatrick
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all of it (and the campaign on order). As others have said, HR is more cutthroat than it's predecessors, and the time to clean your deck is diminished due to this.

I played a game of the campaign mode at Gen Con (which is how and why it was ordered). It's worth it. I don't know how it'll build from scenario to scenario, but the baseline was fun and difficult. If I remember correctly, our particular team was one of the few that won. Of course, that may've just been the guy selling us on our skills (and to get a few more buys).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.