Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or at least not an economic one? Based on the name and box picture I though "company" as in "betweeen a platoon and a battalion" shake

(The recent Ludology clued me in)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael dorazio
United States
Tyngsboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Hadn't considered that. Although, it makes Total (War) sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCarty
United States
La Crescent
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hnestly thought there was some historical "John Company" that fought in teh revolutionary war. or something in that era

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I’ve not read anything about it, but going by the name and box I was sure it was a historical war game. I may still be for all I know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Fox by Kyle Ferrin for the game Root (gif by BeckyTokens)
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Nope.

Agreed. It does lots of things, but unless you're playing solo, it's not a wargame.

It *is* a great form of adult Bohnanza though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, but I knew about it while it was still in development.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd read enough about British India to know that "John Company" was a nickname for the British East India Company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Cricket
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, it was always clear to me that it was an economic game with lots of nasty stuff going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
143245 wrote:
JohnnyOffice wrote:
Nope.

Agreed. It does lots of things, but unless you're playing solo, it's not a wargame.

It *is* a great form of adult Bohnanza though.

I've not considered it that way.
Set collection? B: yes, JC: no
Negotiation? B, JC: yes
Shared incentives? B: no JC: yes
Something I enjoyed? B: no JC:yes

I'm curious to hear where the overlap is in your mind. It may be that I am playing Bohnanza completely wrong.
(Well, I'm not playing it, but you know what I mean.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clbroad wrote:
I'm curious to hear where the overlap is in your mind. It may be that I am playing Bohnanza completely wrong.

That's what you're doing wrong!

I like Bohnanza, but regardless, I'm guessing Bohnanza is being used here as a stand in for "negotiation game," much as you've identified the similarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grayson
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Goes to show, you don't ever know, Watch each card you play and play it slow..."
badge
Fox by Kyle Ferrin for the game Root (gif by BeckyTokens)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
clbroad wrote:

That's what you're doing wrong!

I like Bohnanza, but regardless, I'm guessing Bohnanza is being used here as a stand in for "negotiation game," much as you've identified the similarity.

Sort of. Cole and I had a discussion about this during the spring when this dawned on me.

Think about Bohnanza in that each turn you flip over two cards, and now you have an open cry action with no regulations, but you have to resolve it before the end of the turn. Sometimes people really want what you have and sort of bid up each other with better and better offers, or someone cobbles something together now seeing what someone else wants and things spiral out like that. Other times, you have a steamy pile and you have to offer up more stuff out of your own hand/favors to get rid of them and dig yourself out of a bad situation. All of this is also dependent upon player count. That's John Company in a nutshell; that flip 2 cards and resolve. The dynamics and intra-auction memory is more complex, but the crux of it is the same to me.

I would also argue that John Company has the same shared incentives as Bohnanza; you have one person who is doing well (points in Bohnanza vs the person who would win if the company crapped out in John Company) and the rest of the folks ultimately don't want to help them move forward more. Set collection is where it differs. The players that I play Bohnanza with are also the ones (much more so than any other segment I've played with) who have enjoyed John Company. To me, it's the litmus test. It's entirely possible to like one and not the other, but I've seen it as marginal compared to those who enjoy both (but dislike other SMG games). Also to be fair, our Bohnanza games are whirl-winds of shouting, laughing, haggling, backstabbing, and take almost 2 hours (our JoCo games run almost 4).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Grayson. As if my impatience for a shipping notice on my preorder wasn't already at a fever pitch...

My Bohnanza games run long too. I don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broadbent
United States
Covington
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may need to revisit Bohnanza with a different group. The plays I most remember were indeed in the 2-hour+ range, but there was no shouting, laughing, haggling, backstabbing, but lots of silence and staring at cards. It was a bit of an ordeal.

The shared incentives on John Company I was thinking of aren't the "keep #1 from running away", but in keeping the company doing well enough to support the income you are mooching off of it.

Despite the game having such a strong negotiation aspect to it, the play that I most remember was a 2-player game with no negotiation where the company was taking it in the teeth. We over-reached in opening trade to a large chunk of India, but then couldn't afford to pay to trade there and we lost the other trading region (if I recall correctly), and so we were collaboratively doing everything we possibly could keep keep the company successful while I plotted my way out of the presidency. He took over, the company needed a bail-out, but after a few lean years, it was solvent again, and I took it back over. The scores that game were very low, but it was a super-neat experience.
In hindsight, my opponent should have caused the company to fail utterly while I was still in control, but neither of us knew enough of what we were doing to realize that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The only people that want the company to do well are the ones with lots of shares and/or lots of positions that benefit from a rich company. More often than not, and especially if the monopoly is revoked, you want the company to fail. Cole says he's been noticing a lot more rich companies than he expected in his plays since release. I think this is due to people not realizing that this is not a "run a good company" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.