Subject: Navigation Card - Purpose rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I just downloaded the rulebook to get an overview of the game mechanics.

During reading the rulebook I did not figure out the purpose of the navigation cards in detail.

As far as I understood the navigation cards determine if I will attack 1 or 2 Planets.

But the rules did not clarify how to split up the units in my hand if I decide to attack 2 plantes.

It seems there is no penalty if I play the Navigaton Card 2 but I attack only one planet.

This lead to the question about the purpose of these cards and the exact use in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lynyrd,

The navigation cards are indeed a source for confusion and something I need to explain better:

EDIT: On further reading, I get the impression that you read the rule to indicate that navigation 1 is used when attacking one planet and navigation 2 is used when attacking two planets. This is not the case. The cards are not used to indicate how many planets are attacked, but to secretly place units to attack planet 1 (the units underneath navigation card 1) and/or planet 2 (the units underneath navigation card 2).

In a 2-4 player game both cards (nav 1 and nav 2) are always used. In a 2-8 player game all three navigation cards are always used. I'm going to use the 2-4 player game as an example.

Each player places a stack of cards onto the table to signify that they are finished with their choice where to send their units.

The card navigation 1 is the top card, so everybody's stack looks the same.

Once the planets are resolved the card navigation 1 is removed and players reveal the units underneath.

There are three possibilities:

1. A player sent no units to planet 1. In this case the next card would be navigation 2 (with the units hidden underneath).

2. A player sent some units (1-5) to planet 1. After the unit cards the navigation 2 card denotes that the remaining unit or units are at planet 2.

3. A player sent all 6 units to planet 1. Underneath the units there is the navigation 2 card, but there are no more units underneath it.

This way every stack is made up of 8 cards and has the same card on top, so that nobody can know ahead of time where the other players are heading.

Hopefully that cleared things up a bit.

All the best,

Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kai,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Indeed I read the rules in that way that the Naviagation cards indicate how many planets I intend to attack.

I refer to the rulebook page 7, para. 3:

Every player decides which planets to attack. He/she can
rotate cards by 180° to use their alternative loadout. After
rearranging their cards the player puts the navigator cards on
top of the hand cards to secretly send their fleet or fleets to
one or multiple planets. All hand cards must be used and at least
one planet must be attacked

This section refers to the plural of planets and fleets. This lead to the assumption that I can split my fleet to attack multiple planets.

As far as I understood your feedback and the rule section correct, you may build up to two "fleet" piles in front of you based on you six hand cards and put the navaigaton card on each pile to (secret) nindicate which planet you will attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Lynyrd,

Glad to hear I could clear things up. I agree with your suggestion to update the rules section. In fact, rephrasing the rules and editing once more for clarity is on my to do list.

All the best,

Kai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lynyrd wrote:

This section refers to the plural of planets and fleets. This lead to the assumption that I can split my fleet to attack multiple planets.

As far as I understood your feedback and the rule section correct, you may build up to two "fleet" piles in front of you based on you six hand cards and put the navaigaton card on each pile to (secret) nindicate which planet you will attack.

Well, it is correct that the players can attack multiple planets and therefore have mutiple fleets.

There might still be some confusion left, since there is only one pile and not two fleet piles:

Although a player can build up two fleet piles while rearranging his/her cards it is important that those "two fleet piles" are put on top of each other, so that there is only one pile sitting in front of each player.

Otherwise, it would not be secret, because everybody could see that for example "Player X has 2 cards underneath navigation 1 (to attack planet 1) and 4 cards underneath navigation 2 (to attack planet 2)".

If there is one pile that reads from top to bottom: Nav1, Unit 1, Unit 2, Nav 2, Unit 3, Unit 4, Unit 5, Unit 6. Then he/she still effectively attacks 2 planets with 2 fleets, but it is hidden from all the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.