Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: What's a good Jacobite game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My nine year old is doing the Jacobites at school just now. He's really got into it. Amongst the conversations about the wider historical and social context they've been looking at the battles and the tactics (he's very taken with the cavalry men firing pistols and charging).

What are the good Jacobite wargames? He like Command and Colours Napoleonics and Battle Line.

I found this geeklist Jacobite Rebellions which is pretty old. There must be more?

I was thinking Hold the Line: Highland Charge might be the way to go?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Cameron
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this enough to say how good it is - but it looks good and the rules are well put together.

Lilliburlero: The Battle of the Boyne, July 1690

This is the Jacobites of 1690, not the '45.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Marinozzi
Italy
Livorno
flag msg tools
I ordered this one - The '45 - just before WWW went under, it never showed up (editoh, it was another game from WWW, this one never showed from a seller online, not the company) so, I really don't know how it works whistle

On the other hand, this one - Nine Years: The War of the Grand Alliance 1688-1697 - about the 1690 thing, has the jacobites as one of the bourbon "faction" and it's quite good
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Marentette
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The '45 by Decision Games. Good luck trying to find a copy. I used to own a copy, but sold it long ago.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Clark
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.wargamesillustrated.net/paper-soldiers-by-peter-... I used these excellent free paper soldiers with my class. Mostly they loved making them but the game is halfway decent and simple enough for 9-10 year olds.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
Well, Charlie’s War Redux from Red Sash Games covers this conflict for a mere $160!


A bit more complex than C and C though.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Clark
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeslieJK wrote:
Well, Charlie’s War Redux from Red Sash Games covers this conflict for a mere $160!


A bit more complex than C and C though.


Beautiful counters - but yeah, a bit complex!!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Hold the Line is the right choice.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mikemarentette wrote:
The '45 by Decision Games. Good luck trying to find a copy. I used to own a copy, but sold it long ago.


It can be easily found, and cheap. It's a good overview of the topic. Fair bit of errata but the game holds together.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hughes
Australia
Surfers Paradise
QLD
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Carlo M. wrote:
I ordered this one - The '45 - just before WWW went under, it never showed up (editoh, it was another game from WWW, this one never showed from a seller online, not the company) so, I really don't know how it works whistle

On the other hand, this one - Nine Years: The War of the Grand Alliance 1688-1697 - about the 1690 thing, has the jacobites as one of the bourbon "faction" and it's quite good


My son used The '45 for a history project last year - he was 12. He has never touched the game since. I'm a Scot, a Jacobite, and a 40-year wargame veteran. I haven't touched it either.

I'd expect it to be a bit..leaden...to capture the interest of a 9 year old, unfortunately.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
My nine year old is doing the Jacobites at school just now. He's really got into it. Amongst the conversations about the wider historical and social context they've been looking at the battles and the tactics (he's very taken with the cavalry men firing pistols and charging).

What are the good Jacobite wargames? He like Command and Colours Napoleonics and Battle Line.

I found this geeklist Jacobite Rebellions which is pretty old. There must be more?

I was thinking Hold the Line: Highland Charge might be the way to go?


There isn't one, what does exist are games where the Jacobites are exclusively teuchters escaped off the top of a shortbread tin who engage is wild highland charges rather than the rather more nuanced tactics seen in the accounts of Duffy and Pittock.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owen Edwards
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
badge
Together down the ages we have fought the long defeat.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:
My nine year old is doing the Jacobites at school just now. He's really got into it. Amongst the conversations about the wider historical and social context they've been looking at the battles and the tactics (he's very taken with the cavalry men firing pistols and charging).

What are the good Jacobite wargames? He like Command and Colours Napoleonics and Battle Line.

I found this geeklist Jacobite Rebellions which is pretty old. There must be more?

I was thinking Hold the Line: Highland Charge might be the way to go?


There isn't one, what does exist are games where the Jacobites are exclusively teuchters escaped off the top of a shortbread tin who engage is wild highland charges rather than the rather more nuanced tactics seen in the accounts of Duffy and Pittock.


This is a *little* unfair. Hold the Line/Horse & Musket: Dawn of an Era do a decent job of nuancing things.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
owenedwards wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:
My nine year old is doing the Jacobites at school just now. He's really got into it. Amongst the conversations about the wider historical and social context they've been looking at the battles and the tactics (he's very taken with the cavalry men firing pistols and charging).

What are the good Jacobite wargames? He like Command and Colours Napoleonics and Battle Line.

I found this geeklist Jacobite Rebellions which is pretty old. There must be more?

I was thinking Hold the Line: Highland Charge might be the way to go?


There isn't one, what does exist are games where the Jacobites are exclusively teuchters escaped off the top of a shortbread tin who engage is wild highland charges rather than the rather more nuanced tactics seen in the accounts of Duffy and Pittock.


This is a *little* unfair. Hold the Line/Horse & Musket: Dawn of an Era do a decent job of nuancing things.


Can you give an example?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It certainly seems the topic isn't awash with many, if any, great titles. What there is does seem to be mostly tactical.

I'm most surprised that there aren't more strategic games on it. It seems like the interesting mix of men, motives and the grander European intrigues would allow for a really interesting and well contained strategic game.

Something like Maria as a model for how to handle the external politics, or Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan for the slightly unsteady loyalties involved, or Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 to mix up the strategic with the tactical.

It's a slice of history with plenty of diplomacy, strategy and battle so it's surprising it seems so little gamed.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
It certainly seems the topic isn't awash with many, if any, great titles. What there is does seem to be mostly tactical.

I'm most surprised that there aren't more strategic games on it. It seems like the interesting mix of men, motives and the grander European intrigues would allow for a really interesting and well contained strategic game.

Something like Maria as a model for how to handle the external politics, or Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan for the slightly unsteady loyalties involved, or Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 to mix up the strategic with the tactical.

It's a slice of history with plenty of diplomacy, strategy and battle so it's surprising it seems so little gamed.


It is indeed, especially when the white cockades got so close. I was so impressed by Duffy's recent re-issue of his 45 book that I started a design sketch using a Columbia style model, but then life mugged me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Charles Vasey wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:
It certainly seems the topic isn't awash with many, if any, great titles. What there is does seem to be mostly tactical.

I'm most surprised that there aren't more strategic games on it. It seems like the interesting mix of men, motives and the grander European intrigues would allow for a really interesting and well contained strategic game.

Something like Maria as a model for how to handle the external politics, or Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan for the slightly unsteady loyalties involved, or Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 to mix up the strategic with the tactical.

It's a slice of history with plenty of diplomacy, strategy and battle so it's surprising it seems so little gamed.


It is indeed, especially when the white cockades got so close. I was so impressed by Duffy's recent re-issue of his 45 book that I started a design sketch using a Columbia style model, but then life mugged me.


You should totally get back on that. Unlucky Prince Charlie maybe?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Vasey
Scotland
Mortlake, London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
Charles Vasey wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:
It certainly seems the topic isn't awash with many, if any, great titles. What there is does seem to be mostly tactical.

I'm most surprised that there aren't more strategic games on it. It seems like the interesting mix of men, motives and the grander European intrigues would allow for a really interesting and well contained strategic game.

Something like Maria as a model for how to handle the external politics, or Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan for the slightly unsteady loyalties involved, or Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 to mix up the strategic with the tactical.

It's a slice of history with plenty of diplomacy, strategy and battle so it's surprising it seems so little gamed.


It is indeed, especially when the white cockades got so close. I was so impressed by Duffy's recent re-issue of his 45 book that I started a design sketch using a Columbia style model, but then life mugged me.


You should totally get back on that. Unlucky Prince Charlie maybe?


I see what you did there. I was thinking "O'er the bum o' Geordie!".
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSpy wrote:
My nine year old is doing the Jacobites at school just now. He's really got into it. Amongst the conversations about the wider historical and social context they've been looking at the battles and the tactics (he's very taken with the cavalry men firing pistols and charging).

What are the good Jacobite wargames? He like Command and Colours Napoleonics and Battle Line.

I found this geeklist Jacobite Rebellions which is pretty old. There must be more?

I was thinking Hold the Line: Highland Charge might be the way to go?


"doing the jacobites" just reminds me of the Outlander series which is not appropriate for a 9 year old. Bit of a bodice ripper at times but is often entertaining and has a fun take on prince Charles.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
mikemarentette wrote:
The '45 by Decision Games. Good luck trying to find a copy. I used to own a copy, but sold it long ago.


Not sure how worth it is. Set up is a major headache.

No tactical element either.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.