9 Posts

The World of SMOG: Rise of Moloch» Forums » General

Subject: Agents & Gentlemen's name origin rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arnaud DV
msg tools
Hi,

I was wondering where the designers got the inspiration for some characters (gentlemen or agents). For some of them, it is quite obvious (Captain Nemo, Darwin,etc) but for others it's a harder nut to crack:

Agents:
- Kain Finger : a bat whom name is based on Bob Kane and Bill Finger, the creators of Batman.
- Sweet Baby Charlie ?
- Mister Needle ?
- Humpty Dumpty : from Alice in Wonderland
- The Thumb ?
- Prestigious Cabinet ?
- Shamock the Great ?
- Automaton Kali ?
- Lord Crowley ?
- Jaybee the Ripper : Jack the ripper I guess
- Lady Usher ?
- Proteus Treves
- Omnivorous ?

Gentlemen:
- Eroom Nala: Alan Moore spelled backwards
- Lady Widow ?
- Professor Sawbones ?
- Marquis of Carabas ?
- Omiliana the Witch ?
- Tchukurka ?

What do you think ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodger Samuel
United States
Beaver Falls
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marquis of Carabas: I first ran into this in Rafael Sabatini's "Man-at-Arms," about a good noble during the French Revolution. It's been a while, but, as I recall, the name means "Marquis of nothing," a taunt made at the hero, because his estates had been confiscated. Decades later, Neil Gaiman had a character in a tv series [later a book] called "Neverwhere" who was called "Marqiuis de Carabas." I would guess that the name references Gaiman's story.

Automaton Kali: Kali is a multi-armed Hindu goddess. While she was conceived in many ways, the Thuggee cult, professional thieves and assassins, worshiped her as destruction personified.

Lord Crowley: first thing that comes to mind is Aleister Crowley, influential occult cultist from the late-nineteenth and early-twentieth centuries.

Edit

Lady Usher: makes one think of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
DrZaat wrote:
Marquis of Carabas: I first ran into this in Rafael Sabatini's "Man-at-Arms," about a good noble during the French Revolution. It's been a while, but, as I recall, the name means "Marquis of nothing," a taunt made at the hero, because his estates had been confiscated. Decades later, Neil Gaiman had a character in a tv series [later a book] called "Neverwhere" who was called "Marqiuis de Carabas." I would guess that the name references Gaiman's story.

The Marquis of Carabas is the alias used by Puss in Boots to refer to his master.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek G
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord Baron Montes:Baron Munchausen...maybe?

It kind of looks like him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Marks
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Proteus Treaves is the "Elephant man" Joseph Merrick, who famously had Proteus syndrome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Marks
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Lady Usher is correctly from the fall of the house of Usher, specifically Madeline Usher, the sister of the main character who was sealed away in the family tomb when she was mistakenly alive.

With the Marquis of Carabas having the cat with him, it is likely a Puss in Boots reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Marks
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
At the risk of being annoying with all the posts, might have found a few more.

Mr. Thumb is likely a reference to Tom Thumb a performer in P.T. Barnum's circus.

Professor Sawbones might be Dr. Livingstone (though I am not that confident on this one)

And Automaton Kali might also be a parody of "Mecha Shiva" from S1e12 of Venture brothers in addition to the stuff mentioned above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
Grem147 wrote:
Lord Baron Montes:Baron Munchausen...maybe?

It kind of looks like him.

Lord Baron Montes would be the Man From Del Monte, I'm guessing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqmpVWzH4FM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud DV
msg tools
Wow thanks for all your input. Same thing for the others !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.