Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't know why I hadn't thought of asking this before, but why are there 14 Settlement minis in the Buildings Minis Expansion pack, when only ten are ever used?

(The building minis are used for Expansion #1, "War for Land and Gods". As best as I can interpret the rules, a Viking Settlement can only be established by upgrading a fort. And since there are only ten forts...)

Only curious.. thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael MS
Australia
DUBBO
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
- Don't touch me !!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, I think 14 are used. 7 for each faction.

"Each English player places 7 Church Tiles
(14 total) on any City Shires on the map.
There may only be one church per Shire." (Pag. 02 Expansion Rules)

About the settlements, SPARE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks... but I wasn't asking about he Churches... I agree that the rules are clear about using 14 Churches, and that 14 Church minis come in the box. I was only asking about the Settlement minis. The game uses only 10, but we get 14. That's what I was wondering about, only incase I'm missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m guessing spares. My copy of the base game had one extra of each army, and extra card, etc. very impressed with this company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, that they're simply spares is what I was thinking as well. But providing four spares would seem on the surface to not only be overkill, but costly overkill. Which is why I assume it has something to do with the tooling. The fact that there are as many settlement minis as there are church minis must be more than coincidence.

Thusly I assume that it's actually cheaper (or more cost efficient) to manufacture 14 Settlement minis than it is to manufacture ten.

Or there's a "gameplay reason" for the extra four that I'm missing, which is really the reason for this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Planning for future expansion, perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Pereira
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a seven turn game you can only have 6 since they are only made by upgrading by the Norseman player at the beginning of its turn and since he’s always the first player in turn 1

You can build how many forts you want by paying with two Norseman each and up to one for shire but you can only do one settlement per turn. If the treaty is played you will have even less

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Cooper
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was confused until I looked at the picture on the back of the box - forts are shown by using the 'wall' mini PLUS the 'house' mini. Then when a settlement is converted from a fort, you REMOVE the wall mini and the 'house' mini alone denotes a settlement. Therefore it's possible that there could be up to 10 forts and 4 settlements on the board at the end of 7 turns (assuming a fort is made by each viking player each turn, and then at least 4 of the forts are converted to settlements).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric C

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not according to mine:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Gonzalez
msg tools
craigetcooper wrote:
I was confused until I looked at the picture on the back of the box - forts are shown by using the 'wall' mini PLUS the 'house' mini. Then when a settlement is converted from a fort, you REMOVE the wall mini and the 'house' mini alone denotes a settlement. Therefore it's possible that there could be up to 10 forts and 4 settlements on the board at the end of 7 turns (assuming a fort is made by each viking player each turn, and then at least 4 of the forts are converted to settlements).

I don't really agree with that. This implies that with the counters it is not possible to do that since there can only be 10 by adding the forts and settlements, and in theory the constructions do not change anything with respect to the expansion of the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.