5 Posts

Monster Slaughter» Forums » General

Subject: Board to small for replayability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
rafael Martinazzi
Brazil
flag msg tools
The board/box is big, but yes, is only 5 rooms. But what I can see how the games works, it not interfere in replayability, because the games is based in random events and the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris duncan
United Kingdom
Grimsby
N.E Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what I have seen so far, the playability is going to be from the choices of monster families, large collection of cards, some of which will affect some monsters more, the surprise guests (and there is quite a collection of them now) and the secret selection of predicted deaths

Certainly seems enough for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duo Maxwell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
I will say it definitely makes it more compelling (the special guests) but the board is still an issue with me. I wish they would offer another room but not sure how that would affect the game play.

I think the elephant in the room (chain saw wielding elephant) is that for me, the game seems so random. I realize it is a light game. But the predicted order that the teens die seems like it is swingy based on luck. If someone guesses the order right it will net them huge points. Granted you can influence the order by going after teens but if another monster family searches and luckily finds a teen on the first pull and kills them, it can set them up and set you back. One of my favorite games of all time is Kill Doctor Lucky... and His Little Dog, Too! but for some reason, I want there to be more tactics and strategy to be in this game. Even the cards you get to help you fight other monsters is all card pulls based on luck.

I think to enjoy this game, I will have to accept that it is a light, family, luck driven game. Not sure how much skill is in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Bochum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cbrook29 wrote:
I will say it definitely makes it more compelling (the special guests) but the board is still an issue with me. I wish they would offer another room but not sure how that would affect the game play.

Yesterday they announced that a mini-expansion will come as a stretch goal, which will add a new room - an outside tool shed. They are currently working on the design and the rules, but it will come soon.

cbrook29 wrote:
I think the elephant in the room (chain saw wielding elephant) is that for me, the game seems so random. I realize it is a light game. But the predicted order that the teens die seems like it is swingy based on luck. If someone guesses the order right it will net them huge points. Granted you can influence the order by going after teens but if another monster family searches and luckily finds a teen on the first pull and kills them, it can set them up and set you back. [...]

It is very unlikely (but possible) to kill a teen with one attack. And you have possibilities to prevent a teen from being killed, by sabotaging the other monster families by either scaring the teens away (they flee to a different room and hide again) or by aiding the teens in fight with several thematic weapons (for example the famous lawnmower from braindead - party's over! laugh) which keep them from beeing killed.

The publisher is constantly adding new features, minis and gameplay elements, so you should monitor the kickstarter updates. It is very likely that some of your doubt pointshave already been addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Seigo
United States
California
flag msg tools
There is some luck in what you find and where the teens end up, but like Chris said, you have some influence on things on the board since you can also scare off and assist the teens when they are facing off against another family's monsters and it's not that easy to just reveal and kill a teen in a single turn. Without the assistance of extra action cards or a particularly good Nocturnal Event, the only option is to lead with the kid and hope for a Hail Mary on the dice where you roll all successes and the teen rolls all failures. Even then, that would only work early in the game before people have stocked up on items. Plus, with the teens at the top of each room's deck, you can check who is in each room without even breaking down the door or entering that room. This can negate a lot of the randomness of searching blindly for particular characters since it leaves all obstacles in the way for subsequent players who will still need to take actions to break down the door and search.

Betting isn't the only way to rack up points, either. You can also snipe other player's kills which is worth more than betting. Keep in mind, you get two points for each point of damage you deal and an extra two for dealing the killing blow. Bets are only worth 3 points. Actually attacking and killing a teen is worth a potential 10 to 12 points depending on whether they start with 4 or 5 health. Plus guest characters score, as well, but don't factor into betting. You can also get points by breaking down doors, although they aren't worth as much and if you take out your favorite, you get 5 points regardless of whether or not they show up in the order you bet on. Discounting barricades and healing items, the teens are worth a collective 52 points with another 10 to 12 for the guest character, plus an additional 9 for the doors, and 5 for killing your favorite, while betting only accounts for a potential 15 points per player and that's open to every player in the game.

There are plenty of opportunities to get around the random factor of the betting and the scoring isn't centered around that aspect alone. Some players may shoot for a more tactical approach that takes it into account, others may go for a more aggressive approach and try for more damage and kills. I think the first approach may present more risk, however, since it forces you to play more cautiously to get those extra points, which means spending less time on the attack and more on positioning your monsters and prey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.