Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

as the title says, I'm looking for a christmas present for my older brother (he's 45). He likes games, where he has a bit of freedom and adventure, as well as a good story. He liked Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective very much I think and didn't like Legends of Andor, because of the tight limits of each scenario. It also shouldn't be too heavy: e.g. Star Trek Fleet Captains was a bit too much for him, when I played it with him and his wife a few years ago; but he didn't dislike the game I think. However, too much fighting wouldn't be the right choice in a game for him.

On PC, he likes to play adventure games like Broken Sword or Black Mirror.

I was thinking: Would Mythos Tales be a good choice for him, if he liked Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective? I read about many flaws in the game/book. Is that right?

I had considered T.I.M.E Stories, too, although you have to fight on quite a few occasions; at least in the first two scenarios Asylum and Marcy; I don't remember Prophecy of Dragons that well. These are the only ones that I played. However it also has a time pressure, which he didnt't like in Andor that much (But they are completely different games of course^^). After T.I.M.E Stories I played (and am still playing) the 7th Continent and I like it much better (it has some similarities). But that is a bit out of the price range Also it would be hard to get for christmas this year.^^

He would be playing solo and/or with his wife most of the time.

Do you have any more suggestions?

The price shouldn't be much higher than 40 €.

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for _this_ Christmas but remember: Detective: City of Angels for next year. Has solo mode. KS just finished, but it is promised to be cheaper for late backers (though not as cheap as for those of us who KS'd it) than it will be retail. May be a bit over budget I just see, alas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Eldritch Horror

Both are cooperative games, but can easily be played single.

Eldritch Horror has a Cthulhu-horror-theme, but also is an Indiana-Jones-like adventure tour around the world.

Robinson Crusoe is a struggle for survival on a dangerous Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tragedy Looper will get you the puzzles, and the adventure, but you have to have an evil mastermind vs 1-4 cooperating solvers, i.e. no solo mode and no way to play with instead of against his wife as a 2p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does he like the Cthulhu mythos and horror mystery in general? If yes, Mythos Tales should be a good choice. Can't comment on the errors in that one though, as I haven't played it yet.

How about one of those Escape Room games? They usually have a timer (which can be ignored in most cases), but you're not forced to solve the game in a certain number of turns or anything. With Unlock! Escape Adventures and the EXIT series of games it's easy to just play at your own leasure. EXIT is a one-time experience though, unless you photocopy the cards and components that need to be altered to solve the puzzles (which we did).

Maybe Deadline might be of interest as well, less puzzle focused than Sherlock Holmes and with more gameplay instead of just interpreting clues, but still with a similar feel (getting text clues, figuring out where to go next, piecing the whole story together as you learn more, answering questions about the case at the end etc.)

T.I.M.E Stories I'd only recommend if you play with them, as it does not officially support 2 players and feels a bit awkward at 2 (should be rather weird to solo too).

I don't think there's anything else similar to 7th Continent that could be recommended instead... but as a huuuuge Point&Click adventure game fan myself, I'd say one of the Escape Room games should do the trick.

Something completely different that turned out to be an awesome solo-experience for me is Roll Player. Might be worth a look as it's a great puzzle where you end up spinning weird tales about your characters even though the game itself is not really a story game. Plays also well at higher player counts and the rules are quite simple (maybe check out the latest gameplay runthrough from One Stop Co-Op Shop on Youtube to get an idea what I'm talking about).

Hope you find something great for him! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondkalb123 wrote:
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

Eldritch Horror

Both are cooperative games, but can easily be played single.

Eldritch Horror has a Cthulhu-horror-theme, but also is an Indiana-Jones-like adventure tour around the world.

Robinson Crusoe is a struggle for survival on a dangerous Island.

Both are quite luck dependent though, lots of dice rolling that can really screw you over (and result in a sudden game over) and basically nothing to mitigate it. Less of a puzzle and more of a gamble imo. I like Eldritch occasionally, but not as much solo due to all the dice rolling and I hated Robinson. Robinson is kinda compareable to the Quest P&C Adventure games (King's Quest, Police Quest & Space Quest) in the sense that you can at any time just die because you did something wrong. In the pc games you can just load a scene right before that happened, in Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island you simply have to start from the beginning. It's more an efficiency puzzle with a good portion of luck rather than an mystery adventure full of puzzles to solve imo. It felt extremely frustrating to my husband and me AND it is rather rules heavy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenith Splendor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xia: Legends of a Drift System
Its full of space adventures and you can pick many ways to achieve victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all of you so far!

I played Robinson Crusoe, Eldritch Horror and TIME Stories myself, the first one mainly solo, the other two as two player sessions each. TIME Stories works ok with two, that one would indeed be impossible to play solo, but his wife would surely play it with him. RC and EH are a bit too random for him I'm afraid. I like both of them. Unfortunately, it would be a bit hard for me to play TIME Stories with him/them, as he lives in Hamburg and I live in the Southwest of Germany^^ And we won't see each other this year.

I watched some reviews of Tragedy Looper some time ago, it looked like fun!

My brother has read the Cthulu novel by H.P. Lovecraft and gave it also to me as a present a few years ago, so I think he likes the theme. However I've read that without the Errata here on BGG, there are quite a few errors in the cases and on the map and I'm not sure if he likes to print out those pages and possibly spoil himself by looking over the errata pages all the time. =(

I found out, that there is a standalone expansion for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, though. Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures. That sounds like a good choice, doesn't it?

I also watched some reviews of the escape room games. They look like fun, especially the unlock game sounds good, as you don't have to destroy the components. The Photocopy-variant is a good idea, though.
Sadly, my brother has no Smartphone at all, he doesn't like them^^ ( his wife might have one, I'm not sure^^), so anything with an APP could be a bit hard to play. =( However, maybe that would be something for me to try because I like Point and Click Adventures very much, too. =D

Deadline sounds good, too! Watched a quick review, looked like fun!
I will watch a review about Roll Player, too!

Xia sounds like a cool game, a friend of mine owns it and we want to play it some time in the future, but unfortunately, it's only for 3+ players and a bit expensive. But thanks!

I'm happy about every suggestion, thanks to all of you! =) If someone has more, please write me. And I'd like to hear your thoughts about the Sherlock Holmes Expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zenith Splendor
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maniac wrote:
Thanks to all of you so far!

I played Robinson Crusoe, Eldritch Horror and TIME Stories myself, the first one mainly solo, the other two as two player sessions each. TIME Stories works ok with two, that one would indeed be impossible to play solo, but his wife would surely play it with him. RC and EH are a bit too random for him I'm afraid. I like both of them. Unfortunately, it would be a bit hard for me to play TIME Stories with him/them, as he lives in Hamburg and I live in the Southwest of Germany^^ And we won't see each other this year.

I watched some reviews of Tragedy Looper a some time ago, it looked like fun!

My brother has read the Cthulu novel by H.P. Lovecraft and gave it also to me as a present a few years ago, so I think he likes the theme. However I've read that without the Errata here on BGG, there are quite a few errors in the cases and on the map and I'm not sure if he likes to print out those pages and possibly spoil himself by looking over the errata pages all the time. =(

I found out, that there is a standalone expansion for Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, though. Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures. That sounds like a good choice, doesn't it?

I also watched some reviews of the escape room games. They look like fun, especially the unlock game sounds good, as you don't have to destroy the components. The Photocopy-variant is a good idea, though.
Sadly, my brother has no Smartphone at all, he doesn't like them^^ ( his wife might have one, I'm not sure^^), so anything with an APP could be a bit hard to play. =( However, maybe that would be something for me to try because I like Point and Click Adventures very much, too. =D

Deadline sounds good, too! Watched a quick review, looked like fun!
I will watch a review about Roll Player, too!

Xia sounds like a cool game, a friend of mine owns it and we want to play it some time in the future, but unfortunately, it's only for 3+ players and a bit expensive. But thanks!

I'm happy about every suggestion, thanks to all of you! =) If someone has more, please write me. And I'd like to hear your thoughts about the Sherlock Holmes Expansion.

The price for Xia is higher now but If you ever do get it the expansion Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star allows for 1-5 players. It's a great expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Schneider
Germany
Stockstadt
flag msg tools
badge
How about Thunderbirds. Very thematic, english and german version available, great puzzly gameplay but easy enough to get into if you've already played a few games. Its a coop, so it plays solo, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
lacreighton wrote:
Tragedy Looper will get you the puzzles, and the adventure, but you have to have an evil mastermind vs 1-4 cooperating solvers, i.e. no solo mode and no way to play with instead of against his wife as a 2p game.

1-3 cooperating solvers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
If you're looking for puzzly, I'll second the EXIT series (Unlock I haven't tried yet)

I suppose if they want a really simple and non stressful co-op game, there's Samurai Spirit.

I'm not a huge fan of it and prefer Ghost Stories more, but then again I'm looking for the high tension so maybe your brother will be the other way around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Royal
msg tools
mbmbmb
Get the Sherlock Holmes expansion if the first one was a hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get them the Sherlock expansion if they've got no problem with lots of English texts - did they play the first game in English as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
English shouldn't be a problem, they both have to use it at work and also watch movies/series in English. And I think the first game was in English, too. It was several years ago, that he told me about that game. I'm not sure anymore, but it's likely that it wasn't in German.

Thanks to all of you =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This: Legends of Andor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, too, but unfortunately, as I mentioned in my original post, he already tried Andor, and wasn't a big fan of that game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.