Subject: Anyone using Fiverr for hiring artists? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Dahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I've discovered Fiverr.com recently and have hired two artists for two different games. One produced GREAT work but was a bit pricey. The other was quite difficult to work with and failed to meet my requirements despite them being very clear.

I'm wondering if anyone else has Fiverr experience? Good or bad? Any specific artists that you can recommend, preferably who delivers vectors? My budget is around $100 for a card game (10 assets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jozii wrote:
I've discovered Fiverr.com recently and have hired two artists for two different games. One produced GREAT work but was a bit pricey. The other was quite difficult to work with and failed to meet my requirements despite them being very clear.

I'm wondering if anyone else has Fiverr experience? Good or bad? Any specific artists that you can recommend, preferably who delivers vectors? My budget is around $100 for a card game (10 assets).

$100 for 10 assets? So $10 an image? Unless these images are stick-figures or something they can churn out in 30 minutes, it is highly unlikely you'll find a good artist to do that. You'd have better luck approaching college or highschool students who don't know nay better (but that wouldn't make you a very good person). I found a great artist for $50 an image, but I was lucky. If these assets are the face of your game, wait and save the money to get them done properly.

Sorry I have zero experience with Fiverr, but I wanted to chime in case you found yourself unable to find an artist in your budget range with no clue as to why.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Mark
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I used Fiverr for some logo design. I went with the 2 cheaper options, who were not American and they sent me trash, despite their high ratings; nothing as good as their examples. Luckily, one sent me examples before asking for payment.

My 3rd attempt, I had an outstanding experience and order multiple things from the artist. He was fast and great, even though he was a little more expensive.

It seems to be hit or miss.

The artist I used was - ToddChapman - https://www.fiverr.com/toddchapman

He mostly does logo design and Twitch overlays, but does customer orders. If you reach out you can say MyCurrentKick recommended him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Dahlberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
mb
For a hobby game creator who sells 0 copies and does it only because I enjoy the process, that's my budget :/ Based on the artists I've checked out on Fiverr, most seem to charge $15-35 for quite a detailed image, and just $5 for something simpler. But of course you're right, for top artists you need to pay more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lorinda Tomko
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Fiverr, Elance and similar sites are all going to be a bit of a crapshoot. As an artist I don't like any of them much. They take their fee out while offering little protection for either side (some of them also make it very difficult to withdraw received payments).

Generally you're going to run into either unprofessional (perhaps new or hobbyist artists) doing things cheaply, but not always responsively or correctly - or professionals who do things well but rightly require higher payment. That being said, $10 apiece for a *simple* vector asset is pretty reasonable. I'm too swamped to offer to help myself, but you'd probably get just as good results doing a search on this board for vector artists than on Fiverr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fertessa
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case that all you're looking for is icons, have you looked into free art sites like this?

http://game-icons.net/

BGG has a list of resources like this, but this site is my favorite. You can use all the images for free, even with commercial projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fletcher
Canada
flag msg tools
I just finished a round of hiring 3 different artists. One at $20/card, one at $40/card, and the last closer to $70 /card.

I spent hours hunting the best I could find in each price range, all for a gladiator design.

I was very disappointed with the quality on all of them, I'm sure there are good artists somewhere on there..but I feel like I threw the money down the drain and will not be using fiverr in the future.

Lesson learned, which does hold a little value that maybe you can share in =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Gerald Fitzsimons
Ireland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Fiver is not great. Most of them seem to steal stuff from the web. Some don't but because the prices are so low they don't want much art direction and don't want to do any edits if they get it wrong first time.

But if you want simple vector assets, for $10 you can download as much as you can in 1 month form this website and use them commercially.

https://www.freepik.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
You get what you pay for.
Would you hire any other service provider that way?
Oooh 5 dollar and up architects! lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
From a buyer I’ve had decent experience with fiverr. Except for I later found out a logo I received was partially ripped from the web or he went and put it up on those image sites to sell some of the assets after.

I have a seller account on Fiverr. I don’t like it (as a seller).

It seems at least when I use the mobile app to view buyer requests, these people never seem to leave enough details about what they want.

I had to fire a client because he was micromanaging me right off the bat.

The competition seems to be too tight - sorry I won’t do a magic the gathering level of detail card for $5.

I’ve had some success with Upwork.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goh
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've hired a voice actor through Fiverr for a Kickstarter video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSquidybagI ). He wasn't my first choice, but his work was excellent and he was very professional to the point that I was compelled to leave a tip, so I'd say that my experience with Fiverr so far is satisfactory.

The previous voice actors I contacted had declined to work on my project, mostly because I think they were puzzled by the direction I was asking for. I didn't mind this, however, as they were very direct in their rejection and replied in a timely manner.

I find that the best way to work with sellers on Fiverr is to have a very clear idea of what you want right from the start, and be concise & direct with your instructions. Because of Fiver's revenue model, artists tailor their workflow to be as efficient as possible, and this means having to make snap decisions on whether or not it's worth taking on a project. If you're unclear or ambiguous with your instructions, you risk sellers saying no right of the bat because they think it's just too much of a hassle to continue the discussion.

All the best in finding a good artist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.