Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read the rules over and over to make sure that I didn't miss something, and I do not think I have.

Am I correct in saying that the only way to kill him is if Kirito has either the Dark Repulser or Lizbeth was in the game, gave Kirito her +2 ability, and he is able to use it (as in she had used the Awakening Edge or Breath Weapon before they beat Heathcliff)? Note, I didn't see in the special rules that if your support dies, the token they may have given you also goes away.

So if Lizbeth isn't in the game, and you beat the Upper Section monster and were not able to pull the Dark Repulser sword from the top of the item deck for the 3rd time, there is no way to beat him?

Or am I and the 4 I taught last night missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played this once so far, but I also found this card to be tricky to understand, maybe because of the special rules you have to follow. Since "no switch can happen", there's no way to avoid counter attacks unless you take the enemy to 0 or less HP. ("The game will end the moment the enemy's HP is decreased to 0 or lower.") I saw this as a major problem that's going to cause someone to die every turn. I was playing solo with Kirito and Asuna, so I didn't have Lizbeth or the equipment you mentioned to use.

So if someone's going to die every turn, I only had two chances to beat him (I guess three had I thought to use Yui, but I don't think I did). In order to get 28+ damage to get past his 27 defense and do the 1 damage needed to get him to 0 HP, I only saw one option: use Kirito's The Eclipse for 27 damage and his Rage Spike for 1 damage. Since "Kirito rolls 4 main dice and his character die, for a total of 5 dice", those 5 plus the support's 4 give 9 total, which is enough to get the two attacks just mentioned if you're lucky.

In my case, I ended up letting my support die on the first turn so that I could use the last special rule that "if Kirito is the only one standing, he will start his turn with all of the support dice showing any result he wants." So I put all 4 of those dice at 6. Rage Spike needs a 6, Kirito can change dice to 1 or 6, his character dice has a bunch of 6s (plus the wildcard), and you need 8 identical dice for The Eclipse, so I decided that I'd be aiming for all 6s. Also, since "Kirito may exchange a main die for a character die of a deceased partner", I did that, too, because Asuna's die improves the chances of getting the 6s I was going for. Then I rolled and re-rolled until I (luckily) got all the 6s I needed to pull off the two attacks. I did have the Ring of Agility on Kirito, allowing for one extra re-roll, but I forget if I used it; I may have gotten lucky enough with the normal two re-rolls.

So unless I really messed up the rules -- which is possible, but I was trying not to -- I think it is possible to beat this final boss without Lizbeth or certain equipment by getting both Kirito's strongest and weakest attacks, but it's going to take a good amount of luck and/or the a chaining partner dying so you can dictate the values of four of the dice.

Does this make sense and sound legal? Or did I mess things up worse than I thought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dronak wrote:
So if someone's going to die every turn, I only had two chances to beat him (I guess three had I thought to use Yui, but I don't think I did). In order to get 28+ damage to get past his 27 defense and do the 1 damage needed to get him to 0 HP, I only saw one option: use Kirito's The Eclipse for 27 damage and his Rage Spike for 1 damage. Since "Kirito rolls 4 main dice and his character die, for a total of 5 dice", those 5 plus the support's 4 give 9 total, which is enough to get the two attacks just mentioned if you're lucky.

Oh crap, totally missed the rule:
"You may add up the damage for all triggered Sword Skills".

Thanks, so yes, it is possible without the sword Lizbeth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same doubt, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Véron Viv
msg tools
But all attacks must be decreased by 27 no ?
Wich makes: (27-27) +(1-27)=0
Without lizbeth or the +1dmg item, impossible to win ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyrrdis31 wrote:
But all attacks must be decreased by 27 no ?
Wich makes: (27-27) +(1-27)=0
Without lizbeth or the +1dmg item, impossible to win ?

You missed the same rule I did. When you fight Akihiko Kayaba, you can add up all of his attacks, then do damage. In fact, when you fight him, pretty much every rule the game told you goes out the window.

On the back of the rules, 3rd fold in the 'SPECIAL RULES DURING THE FINAL BATTLE' it states, "You may add up the damage for all triggered Sword Skills"

So if Kirto did his big attack for 27 points and his lowest attack for 1, you would add them together to get 28, thus doing 1 damage.

It's one of the many things that makes this game horrible IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gnp Kudjo
msg tools
Holy crap!!!

Thank you for this clarification!!! I totally misunderstood that rule. I didn't realize what it was allowing! Thank you! We got to the end and were like: "uhhhh.... so, we can't win because of that defense 27 and we have no dark repulsor"

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Taing
msg tools
Man the final boss is rough. Since Kirito's ability only lets him change dice to 6's or 1's, his skill is really only helpful if you're going for 6's on all 9 dice or 1's on 8 dice + 6 on the last die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Stapleton
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you begin Step 2 do you regain all your abilities? Seems like most of these would be exhausted in the fight with Heathcliff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malkari wrote:
When you begin Step 2 do you regain all your abilities? Seems like most of these would be exhausted in the fight with Heathcliff.

First special rule in the section titled "Special Rules during the Final Battele"

> As step 2 starts, all players are Refreshed, and all additional tokens are returned.

I would assume that also covers the special ability tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.