Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nicholas B
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am preparing for when my copy of Gloomhaven arrives. I have 9 people interested in playing this game with me and I want to let all of them get the full experience of playing this game. The problem is only being able to have 4 people play at a time. This is the solution I came up with. Please tell me your thoughts or if it would even work.

Three groups of 4 with me as the 4th in each group.

1. Each player makes their own unique character.

2. I would make 3 unique characters and play a different one with each group.

3. Each group will have its own team name and characters. These groups will share information with each other so any location or event one group unlocks will be available to the other groups.

4. Road and City events are resolved by the party that encounters them.

5. Reputation is unique to each party. If a player that is part of a different party joins a new party with a different reputation, they must play as if they also have that reputation. If a class is unlocked due to reputation, it is only available to members of the party that unlocked it.

5. City of Gloomhaven prosperity is shared between parties. Store is unique to each party.

6. A party must end their play session at the city of Gloomhaven.

7. City event happens at beginning of play session, not at end of session.

8. Random Item Design cards will be available to all parties after they are discovered.

9. Card pool must be reset to starting deck at the end of session. Keep track of your new cards on your character sheet.

10. Keep track of the changes to your attack modifier deck, reset at end of session.

11. Enhancements placed on a card are available to all players who use that class.

12. Items are returned to store at end of session. Players keep track of their own equipment and re-equip at beginning of session.

My concerns are that each group might not level up fast enough to unlock more content before the main story is finished. Like for example, the party reputation unlocks. Or characters taking 3 times as long to retire.

I am also worried that upgrades to cards being available to all who play that class would break some mechanic that I am forgetting.

Does anyone have advice for me? I'm sure there must be a better way to do this...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul T.
United Kingdom
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What you're proposing is exactly how the game should be played with multiple parties. 6 and 7 aren't necessary really but if it works for you that's fine.

Your concern about some groups playing through faster is real, and might affect the enjoyment of some. You could consider tracking prosperity, shop items and other legacy elements separately for each group, and their are web and mobile apps that help with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just as a sort of check, are you aware there are rules for playing with multiple parties? I only skimmed your suggestion but I'm pretty sure, as the poster above has pointed out, that your suggestion matches the rules for multiple parties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas B
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am aware of those rules and what I have closely follows them. I am just concerned about have 3 parties playing the game. I was hoping someone might have a solution for the pacing issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Warner
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteGriffin wrote:
I am aware of those rules and what I have closely follows them. I am just concerned about have 3 parties playing the game. I was hoping someone might have a solution for the pacing issue.

I think this is a valid concern. You're going to have lots of people playing the starting 6 classes. If all 3 groups are playing equally, you may well be more than half way through the campaign when you start hitting your first retirements. And by the time you're approaching your second retirements, you're going to be about done.

If you think each group is only going to play 10-20 times, this is probably fine. But if you're groups are going to want to do more than 20 plays, you might consider allowing them to have separate campaigns.

Another option if your players aren't looking for huge amounts of plays but are interested in seeing all the different unlocks (and there are lots of cool ones) would be to share characters. It means each player will have less identification with their character, but it would allow them to see more content without having to rack up huge numbers of plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's me, but I can't tell exactly what you are trying to do. Are you:

1 -- Playing 3 parties simultaneously, superimposing them into the campaign? Meaning that it is possible that a particular villain might be alive for one party and dead for another? Or ...

2 -- Essentially using one party split 3 ways, and playing one continuous storyline shared among the three groups, playing with whichever group is available on a given night?

If it is #1 -- that is a very ambitious task, but it certainly would allow everyone to get the max enjoyment out of the game.

If it is #2 -- I wouldn't worry about the pacing and if one group is leveling up more quickly than another group. You can always scale the scenario and monster level for a particular scenario down or up for the party that is undertaking it. However, you probably shouldn't switch parties within a scenario if one party stops in the middle of one, it'd be tough to switch the monster levels within a scenario.

If I have completely missed what you are saying ... sorry if I've wasted your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Martínez-Conde Schell
Chile
flag msg tools
mb
I can tell you about my experience.
Beside me, I now have 5 players for our campaign of Gloomhaven, and generally it's rather difficult to coordinate in a system of parties. We have only one party (eventho' we are aware thatwe can make more than one), but the thing is that only once (that's two scenarios in our 29 sessions) more than four players have been present and two players had to take turns.

It all depends on how regular your groups are, but in my experience, it hasn't been an issue if some of us miss a session, because there is SO MUCH CONTENT that catching up and not minding the progress is actually ok... well, unless it is about retiring a character or unlocking a new one, THAT noone wants to miss ever. Besides, sessions are very long and the amount of information you need to store very carefully and then the corresponding amount of components you have to pre-set, to then set the actual game up is, at least, sizable.

So, my advice would be to be flexible and see which players show up more often and make a core group with them, because you'll have some players that will be less committed and those can be the mercenary that comes and goes between adventures.

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn B
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing mostly according to the rules. But I would change the first number 5. Once a class is unlocked, it's unlocked for everyone.

If you fear about parties lagging behind, there are always the prosperity level ups.

Character would still take an equal amount of sessions to retire. Some life goals become easier when the game state has progressed (the money related ones, and those which require to kill specific enemies or finish specific scenario's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Roe
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played over 50 sessions with 8 different players I would suggest making one big party, not three separate ones. This cuts down on bookkeeping a lot. Also it gives you the freedom to mix around which players can play together for a scenario (unless your three groups don't know each other at all and don't want to mix it up). You will have more fun playing just one character at a time, rather than juggling three between different parties. If you advance and retire more quickly than others this can also unlock other character classes for your friends to play.

The only problem caused by having one big party instead three small parties is more competition over the limited shop items. There will be some items that most players will want (eg. stamina potions) but not enough to go around.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.