Star Saga» Forums » General

Subject: Real solo mode or half-a** one like Dungeon Saga? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micah Shapiro
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Does this game present a real concrete solo mode or even co-op mode that doesn't require a DM? Or is it basically a rough-on-the-edges one like Dungeon Saga that had many unclear dynamics and required a bunch of house rules? In other words, does it feel refined or some alternate sloppy mode they tacked on to a game that otherwise is clearly most refined with a DM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hulting
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been trying to figure out this as well. Skimmed through the rules and discussed it in the Facebook group. Short version: better than Dungeon saga but having a DM is probably how the game is supposed to be played to reach its full potential.
Long version: there are still map layouts that you will have to look at and read through setup. Of course this will reveal parts rather kept unknown for the players to maintain some kind of uncertainty and suspense. What seems to be different though are the Nexus cards (Overlord cards). There are instructions for how to build the deck in each mission. There are also instructions of which character to attack and also certain event cards that will be drawn during game play. Hopefully this will make the AI more advanced and interesting. Also the events might bring some surprises. Still, the exploration of the "dungeon" won't be as exciting without a DM. It all comes down to how good one will be at not revealing the surprises in the setup too early. I've tried not to read the missions yet to not spoil it so I'm not really sure how it's handled yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmb
rutgurt wrote:
Does this game present a real concrete solo mode or even co-op mode that doesn't require a DM? Or is it basically a rough-on-the-edges one like Dungeon Saga that had many unclear dynamics and required a bunch of house rules? In other words, does it feel refined or some alternate sloppy mode they tacked on to a game that otherwise is clearly most refined with a DM?

Depends on what your problem with DS solo mode was. Star Saga is much more specific about which minion acts and who should be targeted. The nexus cards are also more specific on how to handle things. It might be less interesting for minion actions as they will likely be pretty predictable but there is a special card every turn and reinforcements every turn which might put the heroes in trouble even without optimal actions.

I think there is more hidden knowledge in the mission write ups so eye discipline might be required when setting up and reading things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nedo Palmanti
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
By owner of this game, I can say that solo play is high chaotic and need a bunch of house rules to make this modality really playable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.