Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, Everyone -

My wife is looking to start a club at Uxbridge Public School and, although there is a very meager budget she has been allotted, she'll be looking for some donations to try to get the club off the ground. I understand that asking for 'freebies' may offend some, so I'll apologize now, but I also know that many users of this site are very generous and enthusiastic about growing the hobby.

Most of the students that she is targeting lack some social skills and have difficulty making friends on the playground. As we all know, board games can alleviate some of that difficulty of meeting people, and it may give some youngsters a positive outlet within a school setting.

Regardless of whether or not you are able to help out, I appreciate anyone who took the time to read this, and thank you for your consideration.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Hansen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there Chris and best of luck to your wife.

Does the school/parent council have a budget for clubs?

$100 would go a LONG way in purchasing games

You would be surprised at how many games you can play with a deck of cards as well.

That would be my first place to go and then thrift stores like Value Village are also a great place to look when the $100 comes in.

Once again, best of luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What is the age group of the students?

Is the club for lunch hour or after school?

What games do you have already?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:

Ditto what the chicken asked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BankofDracula wrote:
rubberchicken wrote:

Ditto what the chicken asked

Marc, I just responded to you before I saw these posts, but I can follow up here . . .

The kids are between grades 4-8 (9-14ish yrs. old). I'm not quite sure if she's thinking of lunch hour or after school, as she's just trying to start it up. There currently are zero games in the inventory, although, she has taken in some of our own games for use specifically in her classroom.

I believe her principal gave her about a $200 budget to work with, and I don't mind buying games at the right price to grow the game library. After all, I do feel a little guilty saying, "Hey, give me free games!" I've been looking at some of the auctions and things on BGG to see where I can get the most bang for my buck, but truth be told, Uxbridge is about an hour drive away from Toronto, where most of the sales take place. Mileage would defeat the savings that might be had, on many occasions.

I have never been into Value Village or other thrift stores; there isn't one in my town, but the next time I'm in some neighbouring towns, I'll have to check it out, for sure.

Thanks for looking, everyone. I really appreciate the comments/questions so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I have never seen any good games in thrift stores. At the thrift stores you just see the recycling of bad Hasbro games. Better to get a few good games that will inspire your students. Your best bet is online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom in Toronto
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta disagree, I've been to pretty much every Value Village in Southern Ontario and I've definitely found some nice finds there!

Next time you're hitting the 401, there are stores in Pickering, Whitby, and Oshawa that are all ok (or go west to Newmarket and Barrie).
Games should be back near the toys, usually mixed in with puzzles, can sometimes be near the books near the front (they move stuff around just to 'keep you looking' LOL!)

In fact, for the age range of kids you're talking about, the hasbro type simpler games are perfect: connect 4, blokus, operation, etc. We're not talking Pandemic here, right?
Prices are usually $3-8, so your budget should go a LONG way.

You can also try the Salvation Army thrift stores, or other thrift stores (Goodwill is gone) but IMO they're a waste of time (except in the K-W area for some reason)...if anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to know.

Happy Hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to "donate" my time and gas by driving up and back if that'll help get you a delivery of some stuff.

Are there game stores in Uxbridge or nearby? or is the nearest in Markham or Oshawa? Local stores can be great for support with gift certificates or some such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_skills wrote:

In fact, for the age range of kids you're talking about, the hasbro type simpler games are perfect: connect 4, blokus, operation, etc. We're not talking Pandemic here, right?

Funny, we were just talking about co-op games. Maybe not Pandemic to start, but we mentioned Forbidden Island. It's tough . . . we use our 6 and 7 year old girls as a gauge, and they play some adult games with us (Catan, Dominion, and Machi Koro are some of their favourites).

I must say, this has been a fun project to try to get off the ground, and it's not even my school!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
I'd be happy to "donate" my time and gas by driving up and back if that'll help get you a delivery of some stuff.

Are there game stores in Uxbridge or nearby? or is the nearest in Markham or Oshawa? Local stores can be great for support with gift certificates or some such.

So generous of you, Gerry! I feel like I'd have to find a semi-bulk purchase, or else it would be a lot of travelling for one game at a time. I'll have to try to figure that part out . . .

There aren't any game stores in Uxbridge. The closest that I know of and have been to are Wood for Sheep (where the math trade is taking place next weekend, and to whom I've spoken about posting a message about donations on the discussion forum), and Board Game Bliss. 401 Games in Vaughan is near the school where I work, but I haven't been in there . . . yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martins
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Begger41 wrote:
mr_skills wrote:

Funny, we were just talking about co-op games. Maybe not Pandemic to start, but we mentioned Forbidden Island. It's tough . . . we use our 6 and 7 year old girls as a gauge, and they play some adult games with us (Catan, Dominion, and Machi Koro are some of their favourites).

I must say, this has been a fun project to try to get off the ground, and it's not even my school!

I help my son run a board game club at his school... it's our 4th year and there are about 16 kids from grade 4 to 7. The challenge has been finding games that fit in about 30 mins... I donated a couple of games to the school when we started (King of Tokyo, Forbidden Island, Incan Gold, Blokus)... many of these games I bought 2nd hand for about $10 or $20 each. The size of the group has always been between 12-16 so even just these 4 games was enough for the first 3-4 months... groups would rotate so they'd only see the same game every 4 weeks. Once they started tiring of the same games, i'd slowly introduce new games each week to mix things up... most of these I just bring from my own collection (like Sushi Go, Coloretto, Dungeon Raiders, Splendor). Depending on the size of the group you may not need a lot of games to start with.

The members that have been there a few years can play games they already know on their own so I only interact with them when I'm bringing them a new game to try... some of the grade 7s have even started playing D&D on their own which is awesome to see since I remember teaching them KoT when they were just in grade 4. Now I spend most of my time there teaching games to the new grade 4s who joined... they're having fun and some of their parents have expressed interest in using games as a way to spend more family time together (away from screens and devices)... I'll be giving them some gift suggestions w Xmas around the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_skills wrote:

I help my son run a board game club at his school... it's our 4th year and there are about 16 kids from grade 4 to 7. The challenge has been finding games that fit in about 30 mins... I donated a couple of games to the school when we started (King of Tokyo, Forbidden Island, Incan Gold, Blokus)... many of these games I bought 2nd hand for about $10 or $20 each. The size of the group has always been between 12-16 so even just these 4 games was enough for the first 3-4 months... groups would rotate so they'd only see the same game every 4 weeks. Once they started tiring of the same games, i'd slowly introduce new games each week to mix things up... most of these I just bring from my own collection (like Sushi Go, Coloretto, Dungeon Raiders, Splendor). Depending on the size of the group you may not need a lot of games to start with.

Sounds like we enjoy the same games! KoT/KoNY, Forbidden Island, Incan Gold, Sushi Go! (Party), Coloretto . . . all games that we own that I play with my girls, and games that we talked about for the club. Like you said, shorter games that are easy to teach.

Ideally we'll acquire games particularly for the club, so as to avoid wear and tear on our own games, but yeah, she has taken games in before for her classroom (hence, Blokus is missing a couple pieces now).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mr_skills wrote:
You can also try the Salvation Army thrift stores, or other thrift stores (Goodwill is gone) but IMO they're a waste of time (except in the K-W area for some reason)...if anyone knows otherwise, I'd love to know.

Happy Hunting!

probably the transient student population in K-W, lots of stuff gets left behind in a residence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Goose
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have the following games which I would like to donate:

Acqua Dolce
African Park
Bulp!

If you would like them send my a private message with a name and address and I will get them in the post to you.

Tim
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I HIGHLY recommend she consider putting some $10 or 15 gift certificates into math trades targeting some gateway titles in non-perfect condition, or check out the bring and buy auction at TABSCon - that could stretch that budget further than it ever would at retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaltmanJ wrote:
I HIGHLY recommend she consider putting some $10 or 15 gift certificates into math trades targeting some gateway titles in non-perfect condition, or check out the bring and buy auction at TABSCon - that could stretch that budget further than it ever would at retail.

Jamie,

I just registered for a TABS account yesterday and am waiting verification. Any idea when the next auction would be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shandazar wrote:
Hi,

I have the following games which I would like to donate:

Acqua Dolce
African Park
Bulp!

If you would like them send my a private message with a name and address and I will get them in the post to you.

Tim

PM sent, Tim! Amazing . . . simply amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"What do you mean, I can't pay in Meeples?"
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Have you checked out Print and Play games? There's tons of titles out there that can be made with a few basic supplies any schoolteacher should already have access to - scissors, glue, cardboard, paper and printer, plus a few extras like pawns, cubes and dice.

Some to get you started:
Deep Sea Adventure PnP retheme in the Files section.
Welcome To DinoWorld
Space Junkyard
Micropul
Haze Islands
Tong
Otto the Octopus
Mint Works
One Deck Dungeon
Chunky Fighters You'll need some wooden cubes or blank dice for this one.
Silk Road Maker Arcade Retheme
Dungeon Plungin' - this one or Vast: The Crystal Caverns might be a good group project, as there's a LOT of pieces that need cutting and assembling.

Also check out the more recent pages of Kickstarters with PnP versions as a good source of printable games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire_Forever wrote:
Have you checked out Print and Play games? There's tons of titles out there that can be made with a few basic supplies any schoolteacher should already have access to - scissors, glue, cardboard, paper and printer, plus a few extras like pawns, cubes and dice.

Some to get you started:
Deep Sea Adventure PnP retheme in the Files section.
Welcome To DinoWorld
Space Junkyard
Micropul
Haze Islands
Tong
Otto the Octopus
Mint Works
One Deck Dungeon
Chunky Fighters You'll need some wooden cubes or blank dice for this one.
Silk Road Maker Arcade Retheme
Dungeon Plungin' - this one or Vast: The Crystal Caverns might be a good group project, as there's a LOT of pieces that need cutting and assembling.

Also check out the more recent pages of Kickstarters with PnP versions as a good source of printable games.

I was just talking about PnP files with her. This is a great list! I'll keep it on hand and see if she wants to work through these games to print out!

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Begger41 wrote:
MaltmanJ wrote:

Jamie,

I just registered for a TABS account yesterday and am waiting verification. Any idea when the next auction would be?

December 2 is the next event- but you can also find people selling hames in the Quartermaster’s Locker thread in the forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Begg
Canada
Uxbridge
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaltmanJ wrote:
Begger41 wrote:
MaltmanJ wrote:

Jamie,

December 2 is the next event- but you can also find people selling hames in the Quartermaster’s Locker thread in the forum.

Ok, thanks, Jamie. I'll check it out when/if I get my account approved. Maybe I'll see you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.