Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Van Dam
United States
Anderson
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a copy of Timeline: Historical Events for $1 at a Kansas City Thrift store. I wasn't really in the market for a new game as I have a few I'm still waiting to try and my wife had just commented on how full my game shelf looked... but the price was good and it looked interesting so I picked it up anyway. So was it worth it? Yes!

Components
The game comes in a nice little Tin with good art, and consists of a deck of cards.
The cards of are excellent quality, they are Euro sized, like in Ticket to ride. On one side of each card it show an event, invention, etc from a certain year in history. It also has the thing of historical note written to say what exactly it is.
The back of the card is identical with one addition, the year is also listed.

Game Play
The object of the game is to be the first to discard all of their cards.

Each player begins with a set number of cards (which varies based on player count) at 2 players it is 6 cards. A then a single card from the deck is placed on the table with the date side up. Then starting with the youngest player cards are placed on the timeline of cards from each players hand in turn.
When you place the card you put it where you think it fits in the time line, then flip it over to reveal the date.
If the date fits correctly the turn passes.
If the date does not fit correctly that card is discarded and the player draws a new card to replace it, and turn passes to the next player.

The first one that discards all of their cards is the winner, in case of a tie (more than one person going out on a single round it goes to sudden death, drawing from the deck and placing until someone wins)

Our Experience

My wife and I have really enjoyed this game. It has a nice look, is really quick, and we find the cards and dates interesting. Fun conversations are often sparked with this game.

Pros.
- Timeline is cheap and portable
- It is fun and educational
- The art looks appealing
- there are a variety of versions of this game so you can choose the flavor you like.

Cons.
- There really aren't enough cards for a lot of replay ability if you play it a lot.
- some of the cards may be disputed (depending on your view of history, especially in some religious groups)

Responses to Cons.

- The number of cards can be increased by combining decks of different themes. This can cause the game to become more expensive.
- be aware of your audience, and perhaps enjoy a loving discussion if it arises.

Final Thoughts
Timeline is a fantastic little game that causes fun conversations and teaching you a little while playing. It is lite enough that most people can play it, and fast enough that it doesn't overstay it's welcome.
I recommend this game for families and couples that enjoy history.

My wife and I like this game a lot as a way to relax at the end of a challenging day.

I rate this game an 8/10

UMCR Reviews Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.