Popular Tags: [View All]
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So with no announcement (that I saw, anyway), I found LegendaryDXP in the Google Play store yesterday. So I downloaded it and thought I would try it. After 22 plays, here are my thoughts and observations.

Clone of Marvel Legendary

This is not a surprise as I believe we were told this is how it would be. However, this is what is included in the Free-to-play (FtP) version.

1 Mastermind (Red Skull analog)
1 Scheme (Unleash the Power of the Cosmic Cube (analog)
1 Villain (Brotherhood analog)
1 Henchman Villain (Doombot Legion analog)
3 Heroes (Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Hulk analogs)

My only complaints with this selection are:

1 - There are two copies of a Villain (Sabretooth analog) that requires you have a Hero of a specific team (X-Men analog) in hand, when the three available Villains are all of another team (Avengers analog). There is only one way to defeat this guy, and in 22 plays, I have yet to have it come together. It feels kind of lame to have Villains that you cannot defeat.

2 - One of the Mastermind's Tactics (HYDRA Conspiracy analog) gives you a bonus for cards from a specific Villain group (HYDRA analog) in your Victory Pile -- which is not one you get.

Granted, they (UDE) may think that leaving a couple of things hanging like this would push people toward wanting to upgrade to the paid version, but I think it's kind of lame.

Game Play

The only mode available in the FtP version is Solo play. It shows Quick Match (join a random match), vs Friends (play against friends), and Gauntlet (play for reward) are locked -- presumably these would be unlocked when you buy the paid version.

The game play goes pretty well. I like the UI, and feel like it is very easy to figure out for an experienced Legendary player. The only thing I really wish it had was a "play all" button. At least for when every card in your hand is a vanilla starter card.

In 22 games, I have only had the game hang on me 4 times -- this could be the fault of cheap hardware on my phone, or the game, hard to say. Frankly, I'm impressed with how well the game works on my tiny 4" Moto E2. Two of the times it hung, I was able to go into the "Game Stats" menu, and hit the Refresh button. The other two times, I couldn't access "Game Stats" but was able to just close the application and relaunch it -- both times the game successfully reconnected to the game right where it left off. So, a little annoying, but at least there are ways to work around this problem.

Paid Version

I haven't unlocked the Paid version yet, but , to be honest, I think I probably will -- later today.

In the United States of America, it costs $4.99 to unlock. This is what it says you will get:

+3 Masterminds
+7 Schemes
+21 Heroes & Villains
+4 Game Modes

Internet Connection Required

It looks like you have to be connected to the internet to play -- even in solo mode. Either wifi or your phone's data plan work. I know I (and many others) like to be able to play games when the internet is not available.

One problem I ran into related to this, was the only time I lost a game in progress. I had started a game on wifi, and then left the house. When my phone switched over to data, the application forced me to logon to my account again. Once it reconnected, the game went to the main menu instead of reconnecting to my game.

The opposite scenario, behaved a little differently. I was in a middle of another game when I reconnected to my home wifi. Once again, it forced me to logon to my account again. However, this time when I attempted to do so, it told me I was still logged on from another device. After waiting a few minutes, I was able to login successfully. However, surprisingly, this time it took me back to my game in progress.

Final Thoughts

I like the game -- as I mentioned above, I will likely shell out the $4.99 later today to unlock the additional content. Frankly, having the bare minimum of stuff available in the FtP version makes the game get old very fast. The only reason I was willing to play this game so many times was I wanted to test its overall stability before shelling out the money.
In my opinion, this lack of variety could have a negative effect on people who aren't already familiar with Legendary. I think if there was at least some opportunity for randomization in game play in the FtP version, it might help people see the advantage of unlocking the additional content. By only seeing the exact same game every time in the FtP version, the game might come across as too boring and not worth the investment. Though I'm sure the people putting this out have more experience with stuff like this, so hopefully it will go well for them. Who knows, maybe they are perfectly happy just attracting people who already play and love Legendary.

Anyway, I would recommend to anyone who likes deck builders to check it out. If you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. But I think it plays pretty well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed. * Click the yellow microbadge for discounted microbadges!! *
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Does it also have a tutorial? Might be a good way to learn the boardgame solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does. However it's pretty simple. Many games have a tutorial where you actually play a game and it explains everything you need to know as you go. This game, does not have that type of tutorial. It just has a handful of pages that explain how the game is played -- much like a simplified rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed. * Click the yellow microbadge for discounted microbadges!! *
mbmbmbmbmb
rogue148 wrote:
It does. However it's pretty simple. Many games have a tutorial where you actually play a game and it explains everything you need to know as you go. This game, does not have that type of tutorial. It just has a handful of pages that explain how the game is played -- much like a simplified rule book.

Ah, well, I'll stick with a Rodney video then thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joline
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a good implementation. i might pick it up, games like this I like it when the upkeep is taken off my hands. Thanks for your nice review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read this review before getting the game but agree with what you said. It's now 2 months past your review and they must have fixed the problem with not being able to defeat certain Villains because I won 10 games in a row with no problems. They also put a "Play All" button in the App.
I then spent the meager $5 to get the upgrade and am really happy I did. This game is a total blast and you can make it as hard as you want (I went 5-5 with greater difficulty Masterminds).
The App does all the boring set-up work for you and you can just concentrate on having a blast playing the game. I LOVE the new world they place the game in and the artwork is really good - I'm glad it just didn't clone the Marvel series (even though the specs are similar on the cards).

Highly recommend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.