Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Mrs Thatcher's War: The Falklands, 1982» Forums » Rules

Subject: A general plea..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never done this before in all my years on this site, but here goes.....

As a historian I know that context is everything. My current context is a house that is a building site due to on going work with all the related chaos; my day job is effectively equating to a 13 hour day shift on-site and at home, with sleep being the only down time.

I don't normally have to resort to this, but the reality is in targeted short bursts I am trying to get my head around this game and with all the other distractions going on I fear that I am confusing simple rules. So, I would love clarity from those that can offer it.

Task force phase:
In the Gruppos phase how do attached Harriers actually contribute to the attack made? Why are they there? I see what the ships have to do, but not entirely clear on their role.

Do Harriers allocated to a sea sector relocate to the associated area on the main map during the British air assist phase or are they out of that phase?

Rules 6/5 and 6/6 are stumping me as well in relation to when a carrier is or is not hit / removed and the mitigating circumstances around these outcomes.

The last one that is just not clicking with me is the Argentina Junta Plan Phase. I get the logic of the Junta Plan Roll, but confess to not understanding the logic / implementation of the 'Argentine Reaction' roll after that.

I know the problem is with me and not the rules, but I want to use this game as my snatched 'blessed relief' moments within my broader current working scenario in the next week or two. Any clarification will be really appreciated.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Totally NON-official viewpoint follows:

In the Grupos phase, if you decide to send a carrier you also need to send Harriers (since they are flying off the carrier). The carrier itself can't turn back attacks, it is the attached Harriers that enable you to make the die roll in the first place. In my opinion, this is the outer air battle, and these Harriers are therefore not available when the Argentines make their attack runs.

The 'leftover' Harriers that stay in the TEZ are available for the attacks vs the various zones.

Quote:
The last one that is just not clicking with me is the Argentina Junta Plan Phase. I get the logic of the Junta Plan Roll, but confess to not understanding the logic / implementation of the 'Argentine Reaction' roll after that.

I know the problem is with me and not the rules,


I disagree, since I have the same confusion as you, so I think it is the rules. IMNSHO, the rules here are unnecessarily complicated.

You allocate the attacking Argentines, THEN you do the Junta Plan, THEN the Reaction? It seems that the Reaction roll overrides the original allocation and the Junta rolls, so why are we making 3 determinations instead of just 1?

The rules are confusing here.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SBGrad wrote:
I disagree, since I have the same confusion as you, so I think it is the rules. IMNSHO, the rules here are unnecessarily complicated.

You allocate the attacking Argentines, THEN you do the Junta Plan, THEN the Reaction? It seems that the Reaction roll overrides the original allocation and the Junta rolls, so why are we making 3 determinations instead of just 1?

The rules are confusing here.


The confusion, if any, is intentional. arrrh You allocate the Argentines, then you deploy the British, then you roll the Junta plan which affects only Argentine "roundel" planes, and finally you move only Donadille and Argentine planes in uncontested sectors in the Argentine Reaction step. Each side is reacting to the other side.

This multi-step Argentine reaction system is designed to make the Argentine "AI" as "intelligent" as it can be without having to find another player to play the Argentine side. Your comment is generally correct ("It seems that the Reaction roll overrides the original allocation and the Junta rolls") but remember: The Reaction roll does not affect every Argentine air unit -- only certain ones.

I hope this helps. We didn't want a solitaire system where the British moves were too obvious and the Argentine AI too dense (and too easily manipulated by the player).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meltinus
msg tools
mbmbmb
I had some time to correctly understand these aspects of air war too. I especially didn't get what the "eligible" planes under [9/3] are at first. The rules need some really careful reading, but it seems like an elegant and dynamic simulation to me.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Meltinus wrote:
I had some time to correctly understand these aspects of air war too. I especially didn't get what the "eligible" planes under [9/3] are at first. The rules need some really careful reading, but it seems like an elegant and dynamic simulation to me.


After the first couple of plays this phase becomes quite straightforward, but I also had some initial confusions regarding Donadille's movements.

It's a fairly watertight set of rules, and the game becomes elegantly and smoothly playable as a result!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Much thanks all round gents. Can anybody clarify the issue on when a carrier is or is not destroyed / removed part for me?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meltinus
msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I understand the rule, a carrier can only be destroyed by a Exocet-missile (if you get a result of five or less). Your carrier will always be safe if you send it together with an escort-unit into a sea zone: If you get a result 5 or less in this case, the escorted carrier itself doesn't count as destroyed but only goes to the trala-box (while the escort-unit still stays in the sea zone). If you send a carrier alone however and it get's hit by a Exocet, it will sink and has to be removed from the game. I hope I understand the rule correctly...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Madison
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Meltinus wrote:
As far as I understand the rule, a carrier can only be destroyed by a Exocet-missile (if you get a result of five or less). Your carrier will always be safe if you send it together with an escort-unit into a sea zone: If you get a result 5 or less in this case, the escorted carrier itself doesn't count as destroyed but only goes to the trala-box (while the escort-unit still stays in the sea zone). If you send a carrier alone however and it get's hit by a Exocet, it will sink and has to be removed from the game. I hope I understand the rule correctly...


You do. Good job!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradshaw
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the insights, as I said in my initial post my house is a bit of a building site at the moment and it is not creating that quality environment for a good bedding in with this / any new game. Your clarifications have moved me on tenfold and I have already started typing a blow by blow account on my initial early moves. This game is a real keeper and a delight to play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.