2 Posts

Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe» Forums » General

Subject: USE Vs Axis empires TK! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
saturn s.
msg tools
mb
If someone has played the full campaign in both games, USE and AE totaler krieg, it would be helpful to know the impressions, specially about:

-Time
-Dice activity ( it seems that USE requires much more rolls than AE, does it turn into a drawback in a long campaign?)
-WWII feeling (immersion)

I also wonder which is the AE motivation/interpretation that makes a retreat unit to retreat all those units found along the retreat path? Breakdown of moral when in contact with defeated troops perhaps?)

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Dey
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, and I'll also state that I have a biased opinion.

I like both games. USE plays faster, and doesn't have the deterministic nature that AE:TK does because of an integrated combat and movement system. As for dice rolling, there is more of it in USE because of the combat system. I don't think that it's a significant drawback, because instead of spending time planning the optimal move, you're planning some, and then attacking, and then adjusting your plan to how well the fight is going.

I get a better sense of immersion from USE because there are no combat factors on the counters, and because of the randomness of the combat system. There are reasonable bounds on the randomness, in that I can generally be fairly sure of something happening, but it's not a certain thing.

As for the AE:TK 'corridor of death' retreats, it is an interesting nuance to the combat system that makes for tricky problem solving. I believe it was also needed in order to maintain the rates of advance for more mobile units.

AE:TK does have more flexibility in the 'what if' department, especially with the 1937 start. I don't, however, have the time to play it anymore, but I do have fond memories of various playthroughs and old after-action reports that highlight some interesting ways that WW2 might have played out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.